Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Flathead V8 & Flathead 6 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum57/)
-   -   Oil pump gear specialst reguired (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/404669-oil-pump-gear-specialst-reguired.html)

knightcharger 08-22-2005 01:18 PM

Oil pump gear specialst reguired

Hi Is there anybody can help me!
I am in the process of rebuilding my 226 in line six and the last thing was to check the oil pump after pulling it I found that the helical bronze drive gear at the bottom of the shaft was about 50% worn I have tried to locate a new gear wheel but without sucsess so the whole project is on stop.
I have tried Macs, Carpenters and LMC but no one seems to stock this item.
Regards in anticipation.
Bob How

blsd49 08-22-2005 09:46 PM

Try joblotauto.com
It lists two, one w/ 10 teeth and one w/12. Part #s 0HA-6652 and 7HA-6652

knightcharger 08-23-2005 12:55 PM

Hi blsd 49,
Many thanks for your reply I think the part I need will be the 12 tooth as the engine is a 7AH No will go looking now thanks again
Regards
Bob

knightcharger 08-24-2005 03:44 PM

Hi Blsd 49,
Many thanks for your help, I have tried Joblot auto and unfortunatley they are out of stockof these gears, they were very helpfull but say that these original parts are very rare and they dont manage to get hold of them nery often.
My pump has the ten gear option and it looks like I will have to get one machined over here and as it has ther distributer drive inside its going to no doubt be very expensive.
Regards
Bob

51ford fan 08-24-2005 09:23 PM

I came across a company awhile back that listed a rebuilt 226 oil pump. Can't remember exactly who it was, I will see if I can find it again.

Try www.egge.com they say they can rebuild your pump for $65.00

Steve_B 08-25-2005 12:48 AM

Hi Knightcharger

I just noticed that you are near London
I am in Uxbridge and my workshop is in Kings Langley

You could try posting a wanted ad on www.Rodandclassicmart.co.uk or on the message board of www.nsra.org.uk

Good luck

Stephen

knightcharger 08-25-2005 10:57 AM

Hi 51 ford fan,
Many taks for your reply, if you can find that listing I would be gratefull I have also e mailed egge.com and am waiting a reply so I live in hope.
Regards
Bob

knightcharger 08-25-2005 11:02 AM

Hi Steve_B,
Well I dont believe it! What are you running? If all else failes I may have to have a gear made, I have a company nearby who can do but it will obvoiusly be a bit expensive maybe make a batch as they seem to be as rare as chickens teeth .I will try your sugestions re the other web sites as well
Regards
Bob

Steve_B 08-25-2005 01:35 PM

Hi Knightcharger

I have a 54 F100 pickup, actually a pile of bits that used to be a 54 and hopefully will be again one day

If you click on my name at the top of this message then select view gallery you will see what I have done so far

This truck came from South Africa where they still fitted flatties in 54 and I found mine has a Mercury 4" crank :-X21

I dont know if the V8 pumps used similar gears to the I6's, I have a couple if you want to take a look

Cheers

Stephen :-X22

knightcharger 08-25-2005 02:18 PM

hI sTEVE-b,
love the truck I have been collecting bits for mine for nearly a year so i may be able to give you a couple of suppliers its got to be worth a look to see if the pumps are similer I will try to post a couple of pics on my gallery perhaps we could meet up and copmpare notes.
Knightcharger

Steve_B 08-25-2005 03:19 PM

Hi Knightcharger

I have sent you a message with my phone No.

Another guy you should talk to is at www.nordianservices.com/
He mostly dose V8 stuff but seems very knowledgable and has good contacts in the USA for parts

Stephen

51ford fan 08-25-2005 09:23 PM

Contact Kanter Auto Products, they carry 226 engine parts. www.Kanter.com

51ford fan 08-25-2005 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by knightcharger
Hi blsd 49,
Many thanks for your reply I think the part I need will be the 12 tooth as the engine is a 7AH No will go looking now thanks again
Regards
Bob

You can use the other 10 tooth gear, you would just half to change the cam to the OHA unit. Just out of curiosity what led you to believe that gear is worn out.

knightcharger 08-26-2005 10:03 AM

Hi 51ford fan,
Good question as the engine is quite a low mileage 35k, srtipped of the front fenders and inner panels to do a bit of tin bashing on the dents then the radiator came out that left the engine sitting in the chassis and it was just to tempting, so out it came the whole jod took half a day (i just love the engineering on these trucks ).
As you no doubt have found out one thing leads to another and basically stripped the engine down to the bare block leaving the crank cam timing gear and pistons in place.
so it had to have a new clutch and thrust bearing front and rear oil seals as it was leaking both ends due to standing so long and the last thing was to pull the pump and check the tolerances. on inspecting the gears you can see that about halft the gear profile is missing I assume they made them in brass to save the camshafts its a bit frusrtrating because she ran just fine before, but on the other hand the timing must be affected as the distributor engages inside the gear on a spline but I suppose when running the backlash was taken up and you probably would not have noticed it.
I will try to post some pics in my gallery.
Regards
Bob
Ps on checking it is a ten gear unit.

51ford fan 08-26-2005 09:21 PM

Bob, I just sent you an e-mail let me know you got it.

Rod