Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum168/)
-   -   propane bio diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/396991-propane-bio-diesel.html)

racer956 07-28-2005 03:43 PM

propane bio diesel

I a, looking into making bio diesel for my power stroke and am going to put a chip and propane injection on it will this stuff all work togather? Please help thanks

arninetyes 07-28-2005 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by racer956
I a, looking into making bio diesel for my power stroke and am going to put a chip and propane injection on it will this stuff all work togather? Please help thanks

Biodiesel works just the same as petro diesel - well, almost.

Good - it lubricates better and is better for the injectors.
Bad - it gels in cold weather much more quickly.

It will work just fine with propane - well, except in cold winter. :)

racer956 07-28-2005 07:39 PM

bio diesel

cool thatnks any way to keep it from turning to gel?

Kwikkordead 07-28-2005 07:51 PM

Mix it with dino.

johnny8 07-28-2005 09:02 PM

or heat it... some guys in hear have systems that use engine heat to do this... their posts make for some interesting reading...

444dieselrod 07-28-2005 09:59 PM

The heated systems also make for some VERY interesting building/fabbing.

All should work just awesome together, just make sure the chip manufacturer knows you have a propane kit, so they can back off the timing a bit in the higher boost levels.

Run Diesel Kleen to help prevent gelling. 40* and colder it might gel. I have ran reg dino oil in -20* with no problems with the Diesel Kleen, real testement to its anti gel properties.

Diesel Rod

jwbowen 07-29-2005 09:03 AM

Racer,

You don't have to worry about gelling in NV. Under 40 degrees is the point at which gelling becomes a concern, and biodiesel can perform okay down into the low teens with the same additives used for petrodiesel in northern climates.

As kwik said, mixing w/ petro lowers the gel point. The complicated systems for tank heating are mostly used by people running SVO, which is much more gel-prone than biodiesel. For biodiesel, the easiest thing to do is to put a small electric heating pad (available for big trucks) on the outside of the tank next to the outlet. This can be plugged into a 12V source (battery charger) overnight and run off of the vehicle's electrical system when underway. [DON"T FORGET TO DISCONNECT THE CHARGER.] Then you can get a line heater and/or a heater/filter from Dacor to finish the job.

Honestly, there are trucks running in Aaska in the winter on pure biodiesel, using the same approaches as they use for petrodiesel to prevent gelling.

Also, the comment I have seen on other threads that biodiesel is subject to bacterial decomposition, while true, is not really relevant. Petro has the same problem, which is solved in the same way, by adding antibacterial stuff to it at the refinery.

Flash635 07-29-2005 10:45 AM

Sounds like a plan.
See if you can have the chip made as a 2 stage so it takes advantage of the propane when you nail it.

Mark at DPPI 08-01-2005 01:26 PM

Racer956,

Can't tell you much on the Biodiesel, but get the MSD Digiatl propane system, the safest and most advanced out there! We have been selling them for a while and folks love it!

Mark @ DPPI

edub32 08-01-2005 01:30 PM

Will the chip be fine on 100% WVO?

444dieselrod 08-01-2005 06:27 PM

Yes.

Diesel Rod