Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Chapter Meets Planning (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum157/)
-   -   How bad are Mosquitos in K C? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/390134-how-bad-are-mosquitos-in-k-c.html)

Greywolf 07-06-2005 11:45 PM

How bad are Mosquitos in K C?

Just wondering if I should bring DEET spray....

FghtinIrshNvrDie 07-07-2005 06:00 PM

it shouldn't be too necessary... I mean, if you're in someone's backyard or camping, bring it. If you spray down, you'll be fine. If you're in a hotel, and just going to the rally, don't sweat it.

Ryan

fordborn 07-07-2005 11:06 PM

They won't be to bad at the end of July, the heat will have killed them by that time. LOL

If camping you might want a little deet for the nights.

Torque1st 07-07-2005 11:33 PM

If you are anywhere near trees and bushes they will come out at dusk and suck your bone marrow. If you are near water the Asian tiger mosquitoes will attack you 24/7. -Bring Deet and use it depending on conditions. If you get into grassy areas it will repel the ticks and chiggers. There is nothing worse than walking thru a grassy spot and picking up a few hundred chiggers.

The area that the meet is held will probably have deer moving thru at night.

Greywolf 07-08-2005 03:39 AM

:) What the Aussie said:

"Reminds me of 'ome!!!"

kevincw 07-08-2005 07:39 AM

Mosquitos? You want me to bring some?

Ultramagdan 07-08-2005 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by kevincw
Mosquitos? You want me to bring some?

Well, if you do bring some, they have their own airport here and it's open 24/7.

:-D

I6power 07-08-2005 11:55 AM

where are they the worst at? i dont mean to hijack the thread but just thinkin. i live in florida and im used to all the "swamp bugs" but the mosquitos are still gettin to me. I took a trip to Louisianna a while back and there were hardly any mosquitos and i was camping. also, ive always wondered why some people get bit more than others. well, maybe i should jsut go make a new thread

kevincw 07-08-2005 12:08 PM

Come to the Jersey Shore (south jersey) and makeup your own mind. I saw three of them carrying away a cat this morning.

Mil1ion 07-08-2005 12:39 PM

Don't eat Bananas in the summer time.

The oil secretes through the pores of the skin attracting the skeeter's so much you may as well have advertised it.

Pears aren't as bad.

Up here in Alberta we get skeeter's so big they put saddles on them and have their own rodeo's.

Torque1st 07-08-2005 06:52 PM

In Minnesota you have to chain your kids down if they weigh less than 80 pounds or the skeeters will carry them off. Here in KC they are smaller and generally only carry off infants and toddlers.

Around KC the skeeters are everywhere. Once they home in on your breath they will be after you. Just stay upwind of other people.

Greywolf 07-08-2005 09:02 PM

Been my experience that the tiny little ones you can't even see leave the biggest nasties welts. Big yellow circles the size of an old time silver dollar. Must be because they're fresh from the swamp water.

But we have horse flies down here in Memphis that will drill through kevlar if they have to to get at ya!

You feel THEM the instant they bite, and then you feel it even MORE so. They're about three quarter of an inch long, and I think the medical profession designed their square hypodermic needles after them. You know - the big corkscrew ones... :)

fordborn 07-08-2005 09:04 PM

Skeeters shouldn't be to much of a problem, only had 3 cases of west nile so far this year.

Greywolf 07-08-2005 09:06 PM

They say in Texas they have skeeters big enough to stand flat footed and make love to a turkey buzzard...

CTford 07-08-2005 09:10 PM

A bottle of bug spray is small and light. It doesn't take much to pack it away, in fact I keep 1 in in the car at all times. I would bring it just in case. If you bring it and don't use it, O well. But if you don't bring it and need it, you'll be kicking yourself (and hitting yourself for the bugs) and you'll wish you had it.