Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   FX4 package is a waste (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/380744-fx4-package-is-a-waste.html)

dhelm72 06-04-2005 03:06 PM

FX4 package is a waste

The FX4 package includes rancho shocks and skid plates. I drove a truck with the FX4 before buying my truck and the ride was harsh with those shocks. I like the ride much better with the plain Ford shocks. The ride is great even when I tow my 11,000 pound trailer with the plain shocks. I would suggest ordering the skid plate package and call it a day. If you want to change the ride you can buy the Rancho adjustable shocks after the purchase for less than the FX4 package price and you will be able to dial in your ride.
Just my 2 cents worth.

4x4Mark 06-04-2005 03:13 PM

Agreed! I ordered mine with just the skid plate package, and avoided having to order different tires to suite Ford. Once I got my truck, added better shocks, steering damper, and wheels/tires.

LOOnatic 06-04-2005 05:29 PM

Yup.
The FX4 rancho's ain't "all that" and your paying a premium for that package group.
Simply add want you want and pay less for better goodies!

Jock 06-04-2005 05:40 PM

Exactly. I ordered skid plates, only part of Fx4 I wanted (didn't like the decal either). Very happy with my decision.

Ace! 06-04-2005 09:07 PM

Yep, me too. Got the skid plate package and will add Rancho 9000s at some point.

KenB 06-04-2005 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by dhelm72
The ride is great even when I tow my 11,000 pound trailer with the plain shocks.

Doesn't the ride in most trucks improve when you add weight?

99bajakid 06-04-2005 10:14 PM

in my past experience the above is true.

dhelm72 06-04-2005 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by KenB
Doesn't the ride in most trucks improve when you add weight?

not always! I had a Chevy 2500HD and the ride was worse when I had a heavy trailer. The ride was amazing while unloaded but it bucked like a bull at a rodeo with heavy weight because the shocks were too soft for a heavy load. I upgraded the shocks to a Rancho R9000X adjustable shock and it smoothed the ride out.
If the shock is too stiff it will be harsh empty but good under heavy load. If the shock is too soft it will be smooth empty but it will buck under a heavy load. If the shock is adjustable you can have the best of both worlds. You can make them stiff for hauling and soft for empty driving.
The stock Ford shocks; so far, have been acceptable for no load and heavy load rides. I may still upgrade to the adjustable Ranchos for optimum performance for empty and heavy loads but I am still very impressed. You can't soften those stinking FX4 Ranchos for unloaded driving which is 90 percent of what people do with these trucks any way! The ride is absolutely harsh with the Ranchos that come with the Ford FX4 package!

KenB 06-04-2005 10:29 PM

mmmm....... I thought a too soft shock on a truck doing a major tow would just squat and stay there.

Why not go with Bilstein's oe replacements.

BA2 06-04-2005 10:38 PM

My wife has a 2003 F250 Crew Cab Powerstroke 6.0 with the automatic. She loves it. Much better than her Tahoe except for the size. Maybe the FX4 is for girls.

dhelm72 06-04-2005 10:40 PM

mmmm....... I thought a too soft shock on a truck doing a major tow would just squat and stay there.

No way! a shock has nothing to do with load leveling. You can take your shocks off right now in your driveway with no jacks under the truck and it will sit right where it is right now! the shock supports no load. The shock only controls how fast those leaf springs rebound and how far they oscillate up and down when you hit a bump. The leaf springs control ride height and load handling and the shocks adjust your ride characteristics. A soft shock makes the ride smooth but under heavy load the springs will keep on bouncing after you hit a bump because they have very little rebound control. Conversely, a stiff shock will keep the suspension in line and will not overshoot on rebound but you will sacrifice empty (unloaded) ride because they will not allow the leaf springs to give at all when you hit a bump.

dhelm72 06-04-2005 10:43 PM

I have taken off many shocks... You don't have to lift the vehicle! I can compress the shocks on my truck by hand with a hard push. The shocks only contorol how fast the leaf springs compress and rebound! I can put any shock on my Ford and the ride height will be the same.

MountainHound 06-04-2005 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by dhelm72
No way! a shock has nothing to do with load leveling. You can take your shocks off right now in your driveway with no jacks under the truck and it will sit right where it is right now!

That's a good thing to point out in this type of discussion! :-D

I've heard more than one truck expert ask what type of shock will keep their truck's rear end from squatting with a full load in the bed.

Kep4 06-04-2005 11:35 PM

I gotta agree. If I had it to over again, I would order the skid plate package and upgrade to Rancho 9000x shocks post-purchase. I'll end up doing that anyway very soon, after I change out the BFG Rugged Trails....

Live and learn!

KenB 06-05-2005 12:00 AM

dhelm72,
I don't want to turn this into a debate about shocks, or do I need a lesson in -what's a shock- and what happens when I take it off?

Must just be I've ridden in/drove more vehicles that were riding on their axles with heavy loads and softee shocks than you have.

Like I wrote, and you ignored that part-
You want a good shock? Get some oe Bilstein's.

Have a real good day now ya hear.:-wink