Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   New York Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum87/)
-   -   Friend's truck burns to the ground (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/372634-friends-truck-burns-to-the-ground.html)

cowlady 05-06-2005 09:41 AM

Friend's truck burns to the ground

Well, my friend's truck burnt up 2 nites ago & nearly took his house out too. It melted the siding off 1/2 the house!
It's a 2000 but the recall notice didn't reflect any urgency so he felt he could wait. I feel terrible for him.
There's no hood left - it's totally melted. The valve covers are fried & I could poke my finger thru them.
I am STRONGLY suggesting that ALL F150's have the CC disconnected by a dealer ASAP - take a proactive stance. NHTSA has expanded the investigation into all model years & hopefully will reach a decision soon.
Even if you have to pay to have the deactivation switch disconnected - do it! At least you'll protect your lives, trucks & property.
I still love Ford & my truck but I am very concerned about these fires. If anyone knows of a truck fire PLEASE - notify Ford & NHTSA as they need the info! Unless the extent of the problems are made known nothing will be done.
Good luck & stay safe my friends! If I get pics I'll try to post them ok?
Here's the website for NHTSA if you need it: www.nhtsa.dot.gov

Ronin007 05-07-2005 08:31 AM

Angela - That is terrible. Is your friend alright? That is the most important thing as the truck, house, etc. can all be replaced. A friend of mine is in the hospital right now due to some punk decided to try and pass two cars in a no passing zone and hit my friend head-on. They are both in critical condition.

Hope your friend is able to get it all sorted out and get compensation for his damages. Keep us posted.

cowlady 05-07-2005 10:06 AM

Ronin007 - I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. I'll pray for him & his family. Yes, my friend is ok Thank God. He was about to get to bed & when he passed the window in the front he saw something really bright. Turned out to be his truck & house. Had this happened 20 minutes later he'd have been in MUCH worse shape as he'd never have known the truck was burning. It was after midnite so neighbors wouldn't have seen much either.
Please keep us posted about your friend. Hopefully both of them will recover & the other driver will face whatever charges are due him. I hate when I see things such as what happened to your friend. So many needless risks taken by inexperienced or just plain bad drivers.
Take care - catch you later.

Ronin007 05-08-2005 11:21 AM

Thanks Angela. Glad to hear that your friend is alright. Hope he is able to get the proper compensation for his truck and house. That is is a real bummer.

My friend is doing better. He doesn't remember anything of the accident, but he seems to remember everything else. At least he is awake now and talking. In talking to his boss who is also a friend of mine, the accident investigators have stated the punk that hit him was traveling between 60 and 70 in the 55 mph area. They are estimating that my friend was traveling at or near the speed limit when they both hit head on. It appears that it happened so fast that my friend was not able to react. The investigator said that he didn't even turn the steering wheel and neither vehicle appear to have applied their brakes. That is a lot of mass and force at work there. I am just glad he is alive. Hopefully he won't loss his leg or anything else. That is one thing that the doctors are working on besides his knee. He will need reconstructive surgury on his face too. I have not heard about the punk that hit him. I too hope he makes it so that he has to pay for what he did. It won't bring everything back, but this punk ruined my friend's life.

Sorry for the long post, but it just burns me about this kid. My friend is a nice guy that would do anything for you. One heck of a mechanic and has helped me tons on my vehicles. Hard to say what will happen after this for him. I guess only time will tell. Good luck to your friend and thanks for the prayers for mine.

bterry 03-16-2006 06:34 PM

Did a search and dug up this old post, hows your friend(s)?

Ronin007 03-16-2006 07:15 PM

Barr my friend is much better now. He still has no memory of that day which is probably just as well. He remembers the day before and then waking up in the hospital three days later. About a month ago he went back to work full time and is doing pretty good. He still has a slight limp, but considering how much his leg and knee where damaged it is amazing that he even has them. He under went a series of reconstructive surgery on his face and looks pretty much like he did before the accident. It truly is amazing. He has a pretty good sense of humor about it all which is great. I am just glad that he is alive and able to resume his live pretty much as normal. All in all we are happy for him and glad he is back. Thanks for asking!!