Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Virginia Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum147/)
-   -   Fishermen (and women) sound off! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/371582-fishermen-and-women-sound-off.html)

Franken-Truck 05-02-2005 08:57 PM

Fishermen (and women) sound off!

Who in the great state of Virginia loves to fish? What do you go for, where do you fish? Salt or fresh? Any great stories?

I have a couple freshwater holes around here notably Bob's Fishin' Hole and Little Creek resevoir ( I can share some nice holes), but have given up on that for saltwater (which means I'm selling my lil' boat :-X16 ). Lynnhaven Inlet is the hot ticket for me when I'm stuck on shore. I catch everything from croaker to stiper. The Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel is one of the best places I know to fish. Even been lucky enough to see a few Cobia swimmin' on the surface. My best fishin' story takes place on the first island. I hooked into somethin' right up by the rocks, tugged me on my dads boat the length of the island, out past the fishin' pier, and back under the bridge where it broke off :mad:

Lets share!

P.S. Always looking for someone down in the Tidewater area to pull an all nighter out on a fishin' pier :-X22

stu37d 05-03-2005 09:12 AM

We have DEFinitely got to get together!! I haven't fished in a few years, but wouldn't mind getting out for a day- or night.

Franken-Truck 05-05-2005 08:40 PM

This weekends looks shot becuase of the storm, how about next weekend some time? Pending weather, of course :-X06 You have gear?

stu37d 05-06-2005 09:57 AM

Going to see my 2 sons in AL and my family throughout FL. Be gone for 8 days. (Back just in time for the meet, though...)

But we can discuss fishing later.

Stu

Franken-Truck 05-08-2005 09:41 PM

Wow, this weekend turned out great! Spent it working on my fence :mad: Have a great time with your kids and family :-X22 When your ready to go, give me a holler, I should be able to get some gear together for you to use if you need it.

stu37d 05-19-2005 06:50 PM

While I was with my kids in the Southeast corner of AL, I got to watch my younger son do some fishing and saw him catch a beautiful striper! Thing weighed in at about 3 or so pounds. Really got a chance to appreciate the outdoors for a couple of hours. (I couldn't do any actual fishing as I am not licensed in AL, so he and his step-dad did the fishing.) By the time we got there, his step-father had already caught several channel cats, some of them a good 6 or 7 pounds! It was a good day.

stutterstan 05-19-2005 07:51 PM

I like doing some creek fishing for croaker, if anyone wants to volunteer a small boat I know the hottest spots on the Elizabeth

Franken-Truck 05-25-2005 09:17 AM

I'd volunteer mine, but it is pretty dilapidated as it sits, and will probably be sold due to lack of interest x( Glad you and your son got out and had some fun! Did you get some pictures? Can you reach those spots from shore?

Rory Goggin 06-10-2005 08:01 PM

LOL - well, the reason I've been AWOL is that while doing taxes this year, I was seduced by fishing - and have been fishing and active on the website www.pierandsurf.com during this time. (I'm rorygoggin there too, btw) So I've since learned to fish for flounder and blue (skipping over croaker and spot . . . need to go back and learn them as flounder love to eat croaker and striper (my next target) love to eat spot) And the wife has reminded me that I've been ignoring the FTE stuff and so here I am and you fisherfolk will understand.:-X21

Franken-Truck 06-10-2005 09:44 PM

Ahh fishing, a secuctive temptress. I've spent to many months away from the water, the sirens are calling me. Thats a neat site. I understand your abandoning us :-X15 , maybe you could make it up by buying a bumper sticker :-roll I'm thinking about hitting Lynnhaven peir Saturday night. Gonna give up my cartoons. . . Gotta check the tides, but pretty much I'll be there from sun down till whenever. Anyone wanna meet up? Trying to get my cousin to go too.

EDIT: that site is REALLY neat :-X22 Whats been going on at the peir, or BBT beaches?

Franken-Truck 06-11-2005 05:39 PM

Man, lost track of time working on my truck. Begining to get depressed with all the rust on the frame I'm finding :mad: I din't think it was this bad, must have spent some time up north. O well. Didn't have time to get my gear together for tonight, and haven't heard back from my cuz, but that leaves time to plan for next weekend. Waddayah say? Fri/Sat night, pier or surf?

Rory Goggin 06-12-2005 09:19 AM

Well, my truck is keeping me from fishing right now too - have to do a brake job on both front and back - front due to wear, rear due to - grease on the right rear brakes! (YIKES?)

Well, I can't find anyone to sell me the tools to do a job on the rear wheel seals so maybe I the grease wasn't from there. (though I don't know where else!)

Lynnhaven Pier is expensive - I fish the beach down that way if I want to fish that area. I like Willoughby Pier and Sandbridge Pier / Beach.

And yes, www.pierandsurf.com is great for us boat-challenged fishermen. ;) Or those who gave up the boats realizing that they were just going to the same spots from a different direction and costing them more money.

Maybe we need a new site? Ford-Truck-Pier&Surf-Fishing? ;)

Franken-Truck 06-12-2005 09:58 AM

For just the seal? Use a screw driver and hammer to pry it out. But if its leaking, you may have worn a groove into the axle (will leak after you fix it). They sell repair kits for this (its a combined bearing/seal housing. I run 2 of them). If its not the tube seal, then you brake cylinder might be leaking. Wait, we are talking about an 8.8 right? As for tools, AutoZone will rent (free) everything you need to do the work :-X22

I didn't know Lynnhaven was considered exspensive. Unless they went up in price after they had to rebuild. Lesner Bridge is also a possibility. Do you know if you can still get to the east side from Duck-In? Never really caught anything from the CBBT beaches, but haven't been out there at night though.

Your also right about owning a boat, except for one. You just can't beat going out to the islands and boat channels. . . which if my dad would get his deck done. . . :-roll

Rory Goggin 06-12-2005 07:20 PM

Um..10.25 full floating axel.

I'm suspicious that it isn't the seal - so I've changed out the shoes & brake cylinder. Going to see what happens now...but I'm now having a FIT trying to screw in the bloody brake line fitting with the new cylinder in place on the OTHER wheel!

And now my driver's window on my Explorer won't go back up. (sigh) Murphy's right again.:-X15

I consider Lynnhaven pier expensive. It's around $8.00 if I remember correctly. I like to pay $5.00 or under for a pier. I'll go the $12 for Seagull pier because I can share that with a buddy or two. (Maybe we should have a Ford & Fish at the Seagul pier?)

I've not caught anything yet at the CBBT beaches but I've seen plenty caught there. And the reports are often as good there as at Lynnhaven. The same goes for Lesner Bridge - anything they are catching at Lynnhave Pier you can catch at the Bridge - cheaper.

Speaking of which, yes, you can still get to the east side via Duck Inn parking lot until they close. It's good form to stop in and buy a beer though. :9

I've gotten a little turned off of the Lesner Bridge area though due to the waders - they seem to think they own the area because they are catching with lighter equipment or something. I know how to jig for flounder, but I chose to not jig there especially as I don't yet have waders nor do I know the currents & bottom there!

The islands and wrecks etc. are a different story. Hmm...dad needs his deck done - sounds like we need to think about doing dad a favor or two. You've still got my number...as soon as my Truck and Explorer are in shape, I wouldn't mind doing a little time on your dad's deck in the hopes of getting to fish from it in the future.:-D

Franken-Truck 06-12-2005 10:00 PM

I just spent 35 minutes writing this thesus paper on fishing Lynnhaven, and my cable connection desides to quit :-X09 Mabye later, but right now I only have one thing to repeat. . . waders are for wusses :-X07

Rory Goggin 06-14-2005 06:04 PM

ROFLMAO! I kind of learned "wading" while jigging for rockfish at the CBBT beach - I kept stepping out farther and farther until my wife asked if I didn't want to just go swiming! ;) I have bought myself some aquasocks(shoes?) but think my normal shorts and shirt are fine for summer wading. I don't know about wading out like that come next January though.Now - Any OTHER fishing FTE people out there?

RapidRuss 06-15-2005 07:30 AM

Hi Guys... Y'all ot to plan a trip out here in my neck of the woods....Out here by Smith Mountain Lake!! its a 15,500 acre lake..with that 40 miles long and has 550 miles of shore line!! I hear there catching some nice Hybrid stripers out there...

Just a thought!!

Russ

Rory Goggin 06-15-2005 04:34 PM

Uh.....boat?

stutterstan 06-16-2005 08:44 PM

Hybrid stripper? it that a fuel efficient, environmentally friendly fish? Sounds like something that came from China

Franken-Truck 06-16-2005 10:10 PM

Cross between a white bass and striped bass. Grows quickly. really good fighter }>

RapidRuss 06-17-2005 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Franken-Truck
Cross between a white bass and striped bass. Grows quickly. really good fighter }>

Yep!! If I recall correctly? the lake's largest striper to date is 62lbs..It maybe more by now? you hope you dont latch on to one if your in a small Horsepowered boat..or your in for one hell of a free ride.. They fight like a Mac Truck on steroids!!

And of course we also have small and large mouth bass, crapie,etc..

Russ :-fire

Franken-Truck 06-23-2005 09:59 PM

Where exactly is the lake? O yeah, never made it to the inlet :-down That danged truck just held on to me and wouldn't let go. But the frame is now half painted, ready to be finished this weekend. O well, there is always fall striper :-X22

Rory Goggin 06-27-2005 01:41 PM

Well, striper is still legal over 28" on the ocean side - I saw a nice 35" striper caught last Wednesday at Sandbridge's Little Island Pier. And there are a LOT of other fish to fish for in the meanwhile too!

RapidRuss 07-03-2005 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Franken-Truck
Where exactly is the lake? O yeah, never made it to the inlet :-down That danged truck just held on to me and wouldn't let go. But the frame is now half painted, ready to be finished this weekend. O well, there is always fall striper :-X22

Well Steve the frame looks great....and the Lake Is Smith Mountain Lake, About 20 miles southeast of Roanoke out here in Franklin County.My back Yard!! LOL..

Lets see the Specs on the lake...15,500 acres and 550 miles of shoreline, and I think its about 40 miles long? Its big enough to be in 3 counties, Franklin,Bedford,and Pittsylviania.

Russ :-X22

oldRedTruck 07-17-2005 10:04 PM

I love fishing! I don't know much about salt water fishing but I want to learn,
I do bass fish alot right behind my house :D in Chesapeake

Rory Goggin 07-18-2005 08:53 PM

Is that an invitation? ;)

stutterstan 07-18-2005 09:15 PM

Sounds like an invitation to me. I'll see you this weekend, Saturday morning sound good?

Franken-Truck 07-18-2005 09:48 PM

I don't know if he has enough room for all of us :-X15 So everyone pick a number, 1-10, closest one without going over gets the quest room. Runner up gets the couch :-D

Rory, Stan, ORT, we should get together and do some peir or surf fishing. I would love to go, but I need someone to drag me away from my project truck. . .it has become an all consuming obsession. . . }> Just name a time and place, and if anyone needs extra gear :-X22

oldRedTruck 07-19-2005 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Rory Goggin
Is that an invitation? ;)

heck ya it is.
It aint much but it does have fish in it. I'll be building a dock out there eventually.
If anyone ever needs to fulfill there itch to fish just PM me, I live in Deep Creek by the way :-X22
It's only a 4 foot deep or so & a hundred yards across by a half mile long pond but I put my little boat in from time to time & or fish from the shore ..
I saw a kid pull a 3 or 4 pound smallmouth out from my neighbors property!

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

oldRedTruck 07-19-2005 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by stutterstan
Sounds like an invitation to me. I'll see you this weekend, Saturday morning sound good?

guess I'll have to mow back there, been putting it off with this heat :-D

you're not far from me at all :-X22

MonsterBroncoKid 07-21-2005 12:55 AM

Nova

ya know if there is anyone in the NOVA area me and a buddy of mine go fishin at the occaquan resavoir evry weekend. never know what your gonna pull out. its a real challenge to figure the fish patterns out cuz they change so much in their. i guess it wouldnt have to be an FTE meet but if anyone wants to join or has a boat and wants to come lemme know. also next weekend were headed toward lake anna to do some all night fishin if anyone is interested

Rory Goggin 07-21-2005 07:24 AM

Well, we're just going to have to do a little bit of C&R at least. :)

Speaking of invitations, allow me all to invite you to a "Meet & Greet" for the Pier & Surf fishing crowd in this area. You can read about it here. If you want to come, PM me with your email or phone # and I'll give you directions. It's BYOB/BYOF but some of the sides and fixings will be shared about, and we'll likely be getting some "surf" fishing in next to the old Harrison's Pier location.

Rory Goggin 09-18-2005 08:02 PM

OK guys, Striper season is almost here for the bay - are we fishing ford fellers going to do something?

oldRedTruck 09-19-2005 01:08 PM

hey Rory, I was just reading about the pier on that other board.

maybe someday we could hookup (LOL a fishin pun) & you could show me the ropes of salt water fishin?

I've only ever salt water fished from a boat & that was over 25 years ago in Maine, LOL
Then it was for Mackeral & Blues
I've never surf or pier fished & have always wanted to...

Franken-Truck 09-19-2005 07:49 PM

Days are getting shorter, nights are cooler, water temp is dropping :-D Don't forget about puppy drum down around the point in Carolina.

When we do get around to going fishing, hopefully Rory will share some good shore spots becuase I haven't been fishing for shore striper in years (5+), and never had much success except the Hot ditch }>

Rory Goggin 09-20-2005 06:46 PM

I'm just learning this stuff myself guys. But I'd be glad for the company.

BTW, the pups have already been seen, and not just at the point.

I still haven't worked up nerve to go down NC way, but as for striper, there are many much closer to home. They are in good shape and the right size, now all we need is the right time.