Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Virginia Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum147/)
-   -   Fishermen (and women) sound off! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/371582-fishermen-and-women-sound-off.html)

Franken-Truck 05-02-2005 08:57 PM

Fishermen (and women) sound off!

Who in the great state of Virginia loves to fish? What do you go for, where do you fish? Salt or fresh? Any great stories?

I have a couple freshwater holes around here notably Bob's Fishin' Hole and Little Creek resevoir ( I can share some nice holes), but have given up on that for saltwater (which means I'm selling my lil' boat :-X16 ). Lynnhaven Inlet is the hot ticket for me when I'm stuck on shore. I catch everything from croaker to stiper. The Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel is one of the best places I know to fish. Even been lucky enough to see a few Cobia swimmin' on the surface. My best fishin' story takes place on the first island. I hooked into somethin' right up by the rocks, tugged me on my dads boat the length of the island, out past the fishin' pier, and back under the bridge where it broke off :mad:

Lets share!

P.S. Always looking for someone down in the Tidewater area to pull an all nighter out on a fishin' pier :-X22

stu37d 05-03-2005 09:12 AM

We have DEFinitely got to get together!! I haven't fished in a few years, but wouldn't mind getting out for a day- or night.

Franken-Truck 05-05-2005 08:40 PM

This weekends looks shot becuase of the storm, how about next weekend some time? Pending weather, of course :-X06 You have gear?

stu37d 05-06-2005 09:57 AM

Going to see my 2 sons in AL and my family throughout FL. Be gone for 8 days. (Back just in time for the meet, though...)

But we can discuss fishing later.

Stu

Franken-Truck 05-08-2005 09:41 PM

Wow, this weekend turned out great! Spent it working on my fence :mad: Have a great time with your kids and family :-X22 When your ready to go, give me a holler, I should be able to get some gear together for you to use if you need it.

stu37d 05-19-2005 06:50 PM

While I was with my kids in the Southeast corner of AL, I got to watch my younger son do some fishing and saw him catch a beautiful striper! Thing weighed in at about 3 or so pounds. Really got a chance to appreciate the outdoors for a couple of hours. (I couldn't do any actual fishing as I am not licensed in AL, so he and his step-dad did the fishing.) By the time we got there, his step-father had already caught several channel cats, some of them a good 6 or 7 pounds! It was a good day.

stutterstan 05-19-2005 07:51 PM

I like doing some creek fishing for croaker, if anyone wants to volunteer a small boat I know the hottest spots on the Elizabeth

Franken-Truck 05-25-2005 09:17 AM

I'd volunteer mine, but it is pretty dilapidated as it sits, and will probably be sold due to lack of interest x( Glad you and your son got out and had some fun! Did you get some pictures? Can you reach those spots from shore?

Rory Goggin 06-10-2005 08:01 PM

LOL - well, the reason I've been AWOL is that while doing taxes this year, I was seduced by fishing - and have been fishing and active on the website www.pierandsurf.com during this time. (I'm rorygoggin there too, btw) So I've since learned to fish for flounder and blue (skipping over croaker and spot . . . need to go back and learn them as flounder love to eat croaker and striper (my next target) love to eat spot) And the wife has reminded me that I've been ignoring the FTE stuff and so here I am and you fisherfolk will understand.:-X21

Franken-Truck 06-10-2005 09:44 PM

Ahh fishing, a secuctive temptress. I've spent to many months away from the water, the sirens are calling me. Thats a neat site. I understand your abandoning us :-X15 , maybe you could make it up by buying a bumper sticker :-roll I'm thinking about hitting Lynnhaven peir Saturday night. Gonna give up my cartoons. . . Gotta check the tides, but pretty much I'll be there from sun down till whenever. Anyone wanna meet up? Trying to get my cousin to go too.

EDIT: that site is REALLY neat :-X22 Whats been going on at the peir, or BBT beaches?

Franken-Truck 06-11-2005 05:39 PM

Man, lost track of time working on my truck. Begining to get depressed with all the rust on the frame I'm finding :mad: I din't think it was this bad, must have spent some time up north. O well. Didn't have time to get my gear together for tonight, and haven't heard back from my cuz, but that leaves time to plan for next weekend. Waddayah say? Fri/Sat night, pier or surf?

Rory Goggin 06-12-2005 09:19 AM

Well, my truck is keeping me from fishing right now too - have to do a brake job on both front and back - front due to wear, rear due to - grease on the right rear brakes! (YIKES?)

Well, I can't find anyone to sell me the tools to do a job on the rear wheel seals so maybe I the grease wasn't from there. (though I don't know where else!)

Lynnhaven Pier is expensive - I fish the beach down that way if I want to fish that area. I like Willoughby Pier and Sandbridge Pier / Beach.

And yes, www.pierandsurf.com is great for us boat-challenged fishermen. ;) Or those who gave up the boats realizing that they were just going to the same spots from a different direction and costing them more money.

Maybe we need a new site? Ford-Truck-Pier&Surf-Fishing? ;)

Franken-Truck 06-12-2005 09:58 AM

For just the seal? Use a screw driver and hammer to pry it out. But if its leaking, you may have worn a groove into the axle (will leak after you fix it). They sell repair kits for this (its a combined bearing/seal housing. I run 2 of them). If its not the tube seal, then you brake cylinder might be leaking. Wait, we are talking about an 8.8 right? As for tools, AutoZone will rent (free) everything you need to do the work :-X22

I didn't know Lynnhaven was considered exspensive. Unless they went up in price after they had to rebuild. Lesner Bridge is also a possibility. Do you know if you can still get to the east side from Duck-In? Never really caught anything from the CBBT beaches, but haven't been out there at night though.

Your also right about owning a boat, except for one. You just can't beat going out to the islands and boat channels. . . which if my dad would get his deck done. . . :-roll

Rory Goggin 06-12-2005 07:20 PM

Um..10.25 full floating axel.

I'm suspicious that it isn't the seal - so I've changed out the shoes & brake cylinder. Going to see what happens now...but I'm now having a FIT trying to screw in the bloody brake line fitting with the new cylinder in place on the OTHER wheel!

And now my driver's window on my Explorer won't go back up. (sigh) Murphy's right again.:-X15

I consider Lynnhaven pier expensive. It's around $8.00 if I remember correctly. I like to pay $5.00 or under for a pier. I'll go the $12 for Seagull pier because I can share that with a buddy or two. (Maybe we should have a Ford & Fish at the Seagul pier?)

I've not caught anything yet at the CBBT beaches but I've seen plenty caught there. And the reports are often as good there as at Lynnhaven. The same goes for Lesner Bridge - anything they are catching at Lynnhave Pier you can catch at the Bridge - cheaper.

Speaking of which, yes, you can still get to the east side via Duck Inn parking lot until they close. It's good form to stop in and buy a beer though. :9

I've gotten a little turned off of the Lesner Bridge area though due to the waders - they seem to think they own the area because they are catching with lighter equipment or something. I know how to jig for flounder, but I chose to not jig there especially as I don't yet have waders nor do I know the currents & bottom there!

The islands and wrecks etc. are a different story. Hmm...dad needs his deck done - sounds like we need to think about doing dad a favor or two. You've still got my number...as soon as my Truck and Explorer are in shape, I wouldn't mind doing a little time on your dad's deck in the hopes of getting to fish from it in the future.:-D

Franken-Truck 06-12-2005 10:00 PM

I just spent 35 minutes writing this thesus paper on fishing Lynnhaven, and my cable connection desides to quit :-X09 Mabye later, but right now I only have one thing to repeat. . . waders are for wusses :-X07