Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum27/)
-   -   AdvanceTrac light... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/365948-advancetrac-light.html)

2005Mariner 04-13-2005 02:20 AM

AdvanceTrac light...

I have a 2003 4WD Expedition with the 5.4L enigne, that is also equipped with the AdvanceTrac option. Over the past year we have been having problems with the AdvanceTrac light coming on, on the dash. It will just come on sometimes when we start the engine. If you turn the engine off and restart, the light goes out. It will stay on until you restart the engine. Also, it will come on while driving, for now reason, and not got out until you restart the engine. I have had the light come on when I needed the traction control, but then it goes out when everything returns to normal. The two times it came on was when I was in the snow. The dealer checks it and they find nothing. Last time they did something with the software and said they reset it. The problem is that it never comes on when we are near a dealer, so we could have themm take a look at it before we turn the engine off.

Has anyone else had this "phantom" problem before? The Expedition has an extended warranty for 7 years and 100,000 miles, so I guess I just wait until it really breaks? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Monsta 04-13-2005 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by 2005Mariner
The problem is that it never comes on when we are near a dealer

Only drive near your dealership then. :-X10

I would talk with them again and find out if when the light comes back on in its mysterious way if you can shoot over to have them scan the computer. If it goes out and acts normal once you get close to the dealer...well...then there is something definantly ALIVE in your truck's computer.

I would also check all your tire pressures & tread deptch and make sure they are even.

Ammie 04-13-2005 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by 2005Mariner

Has anyone else had this "phantom" problem before? The Expedition has an extended warranty for 7 years and 100,000 miles, so I guess I just wait until it really breaks? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I've had this happen to me on my '03 EB. First they re-calibrated the system, then I brought it back in because it happened again and they ordered something (not sure what). It's fine now.

teatowej 04-13-2005 04:19 PM

I had happen on my 03 eb as well but, I sold it a month or two later.

hmbliving 04-13-2005 05:47 PM

I have the same problem with the reoccuring advance trac light. I also get a warning tone and a "check advance trac" message when I shut off the engine, but it does not happen every time. The dealer never verified the "check advance trac" light and tone problem so it has never been fixed. He did verify the advance trac light coming on in the instrument display and, as you said, performed a software update. He also said that he had to reset the sensors in the wheels, whbich had been disturbed when they checked on a brake problem that I had.

Bottom line is that BOTH problems continue to occur and I can't get my dealer to fix them.