Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   dynamat? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/360444-dynamat.html)

fish-albuq 03-28-2005 11:02 AM

dynamat?

whats the best sound/heat shield? they have some dynamat on e-bay its only 36 square foot. how has anybody done this? thanks again

Randy Jack 03-28-2005 11:11 AM

Fish -

Check out the thread below. Lots of opinions on the topic and this was a good synpopsis.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=338480

The Dynamat is very pricy. Also, I recently saw something very similar in the JC Whitney Truck catalog that looked very similar (alum faced, glass reinforced, non-absorbent, etc) that was much better priced.

fking1 03-31-2005 02:49 PM

Dynamat is good , but , expensive; around $125 for 36 sq ft. Many Corvette people use Frost King from Home Depot or Lowes to sound insulate. Very inexpensive. I put a sheet under my 55's floor mat & noticed a difference. Plan to get more and insulate where ever possible.

Fred

fatfenders56 03-31-2005 04:57 PM

Randy, that thread was "before my time" but it was a good read. ThanksFF56

Jet Jock 03-31-2005 07:32 PM

fking

Read the fine print the 32.95 for shipping. That is a ripe off. I ordered mine from www.quietride.com they have a package they recommend including dynamat and other insulation for my F-1. Custom Classic Trucks mag Feb 2005 had a kit they installed in their Project F-1 that came from Quiet Ride. They mag folks liked the kit.

Jet Jock
"I drive a 'girly' }> 302 because, when I want to go fast, I go to work"

fatfenders 03-31-2005 09:25 PM

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product....pid=25&cur=USD

This should be a link to Elemental Designs. About an hour from where I live. They sell eDead. Its a little thicker than Dynamat. It may not be quite as good as Dynamat but in my opinion its a lot better deal at $1.50 a foot. That's half the price. It's definitely better than what I am using, and my road noise is gone. eDead is designed to kill subwoofer induced panel rattles. That isn't a simple task and this stuff does it. It is heat resistant. They also sell a liquid deadener but it's ugly aqua blue. Suppose it wouldn't matter once the rug is down.

55forder 03-31-2005 11:18 PM

How many square feet do you suppose it will take to do a 53-56 pickup? I also noticed that fenders said he wouldnt use on the roof of the cab. Why not?

:-X22 Rich

fatfenders 04-01-2005 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by 55forder
How many square feet do you suppose it will take to do a 53-56 pickup? I also noticed that fenders said he wouldnt use on the roof of the cab. Why not?

:-X22 Rich

I was referring to Peal and Seal, which has an unknown heat resistance (to me). It's not needed up there anyway IMO. The normal foil over insulation works just fine on the roof. The sound deadeners work particularly well on the road noise, rattles etc, which will typically be coming from the lower half of the truck. I only used deadener on the floor, the corners behind my speakers, door inspection panels. The stuff works like a heat sink. Full coverage of the entire cab is just adding weight IMO. The stuff is heavy, as it's meant to add density to sheetmetal. I used insulation of one form or another behind virtually everything. So far so good, I don't think I'll be adding much more.

About 50 squares would be a good start for real decent sound deadening.

286merc 04-01-2005 06:03 PM

I went the Home Depot route on my 26T coupe. Without it I couldnt hear myself fart much less the radio. That cab is about on a size and noise par as an Effie.

Also, borrowing from another thread, I went laminated glass. The glass area in a stock height T is huge and I believe the laminated has better sound reduction.

fatfenders 04-01-2005 08:29 PM

"I believe the laminated has better sound reduction."

I had not even considered that, but laminated would about have to have the edge. Glass and steel are your enemy when it somes to a quiet interiors. Just don't believe it if you're told you have to live with rattles and road noise becaue you don't.

And there is nothing really wrong with the Home Depot route (Peal and Seal), but you can get heat resistant sound deadeners for awful close to the same price.

286merc 04-01-2005 09:04 PM

And there is nothing really wrong with the Home Depot route (Peal and Seal), but you can get heat resistant sound deadeners for awful close to the same price.

True Im sure but when I have the urge to do something I often dont have patience for mail order. With 3 Home Depots within 15 minutes plus 3 WalMarts and others I go the instant gratification route! Heat wasnt the issue as much as noise in the T. The 3/4" plywood floors and firewall kept heat down as well as improving structual rigidity.

fatfenders 04-01-2005 10:17 PM

Carl

Mine is Peal and Seal for the same reason. It was handy. Only place I am certain I will never use it is the trans tunnel, and the firewall. You'd be smelling hot tar forever. Good chance it might even hold on the roof, but as I said, I don't see any reason to apply anything but insulation up there.

I'm gonna buy ten feet of the good stuff and finish the job someday.

ALBUQ F-1 04-02-2005 08:42 AM

Fish -- sorry to hijack your thread but I've been trying to get ahold of you all week! Your email system (excite) is rejecting all emails not on some list you apparently set up. Please call me at 400-2563.

-- Ross

truckfarmer 04-02-2005 08:59 AM

the magazine article mentioned here states that Quiet Ride says you don't have to cover the entire cab for it to be effective. They claim only 30-50% will be enough. If you find that article please read it. I scanned it into my computer if someones a copy. It should also be in their website by now.