Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Iowa Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum140/)
-   -   Loaded Trailer / Loaded House (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/358407-loaded-trailer-loaded-house.html)

69 and 85 03-22-2005 01:12 PM

Loaded Trailer / Loaded House

Last week I had to run to the IN/KY border to get my daughter's belongings. (Her husband is stuck out of the country for a couple months due to post 9/11 regulations - paperwork confusion.)

I took the wifes Chevy Venture and picked up a 6x12 U-Haul trailer out there. That thing was LOA-DED plus the van was packed and an overstuffed cartop carrier on top. Everytime I got past 55MPH was an "ad Venture".... the tail would wag the dog. (My daughter drove behind me in a loaded down S10.)

We got about 2 hours down the road and my daughter heard a bell..... seems a local stray cat was hiding under the seat. Collar and bell, but no tags on the cat, too far to turn back and couldn't just let it loose on the road.
So, we made it home to Iowa and I have been busy making room in the house the last week. Currently almost done finishing off the basement.

Now we have 10 in the house... the wife, 6 kids, 2 grandkids and me. The cat is outside, but happy to be well fed. Hopefully my son-in-law will be able to join us soon to make 11. Lot's of fun so far as 2 kids and 2 grandkids are under 3!

I'm sure you guys can top my trailer story.... but anyone have more people in their house?? ( and if you're going to count pets, we have a dog, and now the cat and 2 birds) (oh yeah and 2 hermit crabs!)

truckertaz 03-22-2005 03:06 PM

WOW that sounds like a fun :-huh adventure... I sure cant top it... We have a 5 bedroom house for my wife,son,myself, and a dog and cat :-X22

cowboywanabe 03-23-2005 11:11 AM

Wow, bet there is never a dull moment at your place! I've got a 6 and 3 year old and they make life interesting in our house.

I had a moving adventure about 6 years ago. My folks retired and moved from Pennsylvania to Colorado. We had a loaded 26 foot Uhaul towing mom's 93 T-Bird on a car trailer. Dad drove his 90 F150 (300-I6) towing his 1942 John Deer model "A". No problems except for the head-wind going across Kansas... 50 MPH top speed makes for a long trip!

69 and 85 03-23-2005 02:14 PM

We have a 5 bedroom house, 3 baths. I finished off a 6th "bedroom" for my daughter and her family... 13 x 30. After they are gone it'll be a playroom/family room. Next job will be add a forth bathroom!

Just remembered another one.....

As a kid on family vacation, we used to have a pop up camper. My Dad is USUALLY very thorough, but this time apparently after setting the trailer tongue on the ball hitch... he didn't properly secure it. So we leave the campground and get on the road and you guessed it - the camper comes off the ball. This was about 35 years ago... all I remember is what I've heard over the years, but I guess Dad saw/felt it come off and instictively hit the brakes. Luckily the trailer didn't hit us (or anyone else) when it passed by our car.

My Dad is normally VERY sharp - (so no offense Dad), but ironically, the brand (model) of the camper was NIMROD.

chrono4 03-23-2005 09:35 PM

69, was it not chained, or did i not read that right?

69 and 85 03-24-2005 09:02 AM

I was young, maybe 4-5 at the time and I don't remember it happening, just remeber hearing about it years ago. We weren't going fast as the camper wasn't damaged, just slid on the tongue for a bit. I'm guessing it was just sitting on the ball. Definitely was not chained.

wresleu 04-12-2005 08:06 PM

I did that with a boat once. Unfortunately it was chained. I just forgot to snap the ball lock down when I hitched it. It ended up doing quite an extensive amount of damage as it plowed into the back of me at 35 mph.