Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Automotive Discussion (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum135/)
-   -   Cab-over semi's - why are they gone? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/356538-cab-over-semis-why-are-they-gone.html)

spikedog 03-17-2005 09:04 AM

Cab-over semi's - why are they gone?

I was driving back from Las Vegas on Tuesday, and I saw a cab-over tractor trailer going down the interstate. It struck me that I hardly ever see one of those rigs anymore. Why are they almost extinct?

VinMan 03-17-2005 09:11 AM

Wow , youre right, I never even noticed that. You used to see cabovers all the time.

jdadamsjr 03-17-2005 09:18 AM

ride quality I'll bet.... and cost...
short cab = short wheelbase = CHoppy ride ????

cetane anyone ?? 03-17-2005 09:20 AM

Probably areodynamics/fuel econ. for one. A lot of states now allow for longer tractor/trailer overall length. Shorter cabs are not necessary as much now. Trailers can be 53' long without being over.
Also, a conventional cab is probably safer in a front end crash than a cab-over.
I've heard that years ago the CO's were called widow makers.
Just my 2 cents worth.

believer45 03-17-2005 09:21 AM

Ovreall length laws changed several years ago, now cabovers are really only necessary when pulling triple 28' trailers in some of the states where that is allowed. When max overall length was 65' on federal highways if you had a 53' trailer that did not leave much room for front of trailer to front bumper.

Dave / Believer45

ckal704 03-17-2005 11:13 AM

My friend drives truck for a living and once mentioned that without a trailer, those cabover tractors were insanely unstable when brakes were applied. According to him, it was real easy to flip them right onto their face under hard braking without a trailer to hold the rear end down.
FWIW.....

fomoco_1 03-17-2005 11:25 AM

Very good responses guys. Yes they ride like crap.The conventionals ride much better and the handling is greatly improved.Not to mention the interior cab room is alot better than the c.o.e.'s. Resale is 30-40 % better too. I've been in 2 head on collisions at 35-45 mph and I for one am glad that my big Cummins N-14 beat me to the accident.LOL . Rob. Excursions Rule but my other car is a Kenworth.

Mil1ion 03-17-2005 11:38 AM

Moved to automotive forum :)

4.6Ranger 03-17-2005 09:22 PM

Cabovers

You also end up replacing windshields when you forget something in the cab. and jack it up to work on the engine. SMASH -0pps

Pony Power 03-17-2005 09:34 PM

I know why you don't see mine anymore, I retired. :-X03 As for ride, air ride suspension and air seat makes for very smooth.
220" wheelbase and a 53' van didn't leave much room for a nose.

BigF350 03-17-2005 11:00 PM

It is about 50/50 here in Australia with cab overs/conventional nose style
You go to Europe it is the opposite, they only have cab overs over there.

I dispute the ride thing, have you ever ridden or driven in a late model Volvo or Scania?
They do have far greater turning circle.

Unsure about the fuel economy though...

bassdude 03-17-2005 11:41 PM

trying to live in one wasn't fun either. crawling over the dog house in and out of the sleeper, trying to get dressed while laying down in the bunk. climbing up and down just to get in and out was a gamble especially if the thing was covered in ice. they won't flip up on the front if you lock up the brakes. the front tires will slide long before that. i did see one start to go over because the cab wasn't locked down properly though. I'm glad they're gone.

captchas 03-18-2005 04:40 AM

2 million miles in one. new lengh laws are a big help. i could only pull 48 feet back then and be legal in some of the states. we did call them widow makers no protection in a front end crash. yep i did feel safer when the laws let us go to long nose and have the big cat up front first

mistakenID 03-18-2005 11:01 AM

Yep it was the uniform length and weight law change for all the states that pushed the cabovers out. I was glad to see them go. I drove sleeper team a few times in a cabover and on a bad stretch of two lane road my partner got up with the skin rubbed off his elbows from that rough riding piece of crap. I used to say I'd get paid more if they paid me flight time instead of miles because you couldn't stay in the seat.

yardbird 03-18-2005 01:37 PM

When running team, I used to wake up with my face raw from rubbing on the pillow. You had to lay on your side and have your legs and arms in what looked like a running position to keep from rocking forward and backward. I have been awoke many times in mid-air just before slamming back down onto the mattress.

My dad went to Houston with me one trip. We were going east on I-10 along the Louisiana-Mississippi line. This was in 1976. Anyone who drove then can recall this stretch of road.

I was bouncing along running 60, while holding tightly to the wheel to keep from being ejected through the windshield. Dad was worn out and sleeping, how I don't know. We hit a big dip, and here comes dad flying through the sleeper curtain about 1 foot in the air. I duck as he hits the doghouse and edge of the dash, which wakes him up rather quickly.

Many times I have had things in the sleeper come flying by me on rough roads. You hit a bump, the seat bottoms out on the floor and jams your back, then it rebounds and you fly up and hit your head on the roof. Oh what fun. The good old days.