Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio & Video Systems, Navigation, Satellite Radio & Mobile Electronics (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum60/)
-   -   2005 F250 subwoofer amp install ? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/353348-2005-f250-subwoofer-amp-install.html)

hollywood43 03-09-2005 10:14 AM

2005 F250 subwoofer amp install ?

Hi. I'm looking to install a subwoofer and amplifier on the 2005 F-250 supercab but I need to keep the factory radio for now due to finances. I have the amp from a previous vehicle that I would like to install. I'll need a line converter to change over the RCA cables from the factory wiring. I'm looking to buy Soundgate converters because they look very nice. Soundgate makes one for systems with factory amps and one for those without. Does anybody know if there is a factory amp on these systems? I have the 6 disc in-dash changer. I'd like to order everything prior to ripping apart my truck. Thanks in advance!

morcutt 03-11-2005 06:11 AM

You want the one that isn't designed for factory amps. The Ford radio system uses an internal amp in the head unit to drive the speakers. The option that Soundgate is referring to for factory amplifier systems are systems where the head unit produces a very small (line level) signal that goes to a factory amplifier somewhere else within the vehicle and you're taping the signal on the way to that amp. Since those line level signal are very low, they take a special converter that is more sensitive. That kind of system is more common in the high-end Lexus and GM (Delco / Bose) systems.

hollywood43 03-11-2005 08:04 AM

Great! Thank you very much for your help.

morcutt 03-11-2005 08:07 AM

No problem - there are so many adapters and converters out there on the market to compensate for all of the desired factory/aftermarket integration scenarios that it can get a little confusing.

joebronco94 03-11-2005 04:52 PM

i would call ford about that some of them do have sep. amps. Me bronco has one and i have seen others also

morcutt 03-11-2005 05:37 PM

My 2005 F-350 doesn't have any outboard amp outside of the head unit and I'm pretty sure that it's the same radio as the 2005 F-250.

mzimmers 03-12-2005 11:50 AM

I mentioned this in another recent post, but you might want to take a look at JL Audio's CleanSweep. This will do what you want, and a whole lot more. I have no idea how expensive it is, but, seeing that it comes from JL Audio, it's probably a good investment in sound quality.

hollywood43 03-13-2005 07:04 PM

Cool. Thanks for the help!

BobbyDiesel71 07-17-2005 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by hollywood43
Hi. I'm looking to install a subwoofer and amplifier on the 2005 F-250 supercab but I need to keep the factory radio for now due to finances. I have the amp from a previous vehicle that I would like to install. I'll need a line converter to change over the RCA cables from the factory wiring. I'm looking to buy Soundgate converters because they look very nice. Soundgate makes one for systems with factory amps and one for those without. Does anybody know if there is a factory amp on these systems? I have the 6 disc in-dash changer. I'd like to order everything prior to ripping apart my truck. Thanks in advance!

Glad to see another Il owner!
I have a 2002 Supercab and I am looking at doing a custom a/v setup as well
where are you in IL?