Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Virginia Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum147/)
-   -   DC Area - Advice (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/352995-dc-area-advice.html)

fn250 03-08-2005 12:29 PM

DC Area - Advice

Hey people,

I'm a fellow FTE'r from California (Southern California to be exact), and I'm looking for some advice for traveling to the D.C. area. I'll be working out there the first week of April, and I just looking for some general info regarding the area, maybe where to grab a beer and some good steak after work, and places to stay away from. Any advice is appreciated, I'm some what apprehensive of the area since I've never been to that part of the country.

Thanks again guys,

--fn250

B.T.W. I apologize if this is inappropriate for this particular forum, I just thought who better to ask than the people who live there?

yomow 03-08-2005 12:49 PM

Well you posted on a va site so I think you must want to stay in northern va. Is it on bus. or Vac. ? What area are you wanting to travel to while here ? Traffic is h#11 here let me know & I should be able to help a lot !!! Maybe Site seeing there is lot's here to see !!
Don

fn250 03-08-2005 01:51 PM

Thank for the reply Don,

I'll be staying near Ronald Reagan airport. I'm not familiar with VA at all so I couldn't verify if I'm staying in North VA. I do know that I'll be near arlington if that helps any. I'm working for a period of about 4.5 days I'm actually staying there about 7 days. I'm not driving at all so I'm relying on cabs, etc. What's public transit like? Are there trolleys? trains? to get around? Any info is appreciated.

--fn250

yomow 03-08-2005 03:33 PM

Gov. Employee i see, Metro train system is good , Try to get a hold of your congress member in your area & see if you can get a VIP tour of the Capitol & find out if you can go to the Whitehouse tour it not what ya think it'll blow you away. Tickets are at the us treasury call the info office there. Mount Veron is also a great tour also. Crystal City is fairly ok . Are you traveling buy yourself ? We have a mass trans bus system & trains Cabbie are all mostly from another country ! Roslan area is not bad . Any more info. let me know. Don

fn250 03-09-2005 03:39 PM

Thanks for the info I really appreciate it. Just one last question? How'd you know I work for the gov?

yomow 03-09-2005 05:22 PM

Here in Washington WE know every thing about every ONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HA , Ha!!!!! NOt to hard to figure out when you said Arlington & Washington Airport. Just a Guess ! Don

joedirt 03-27-2005 09:32 PM

public transportation will take you just about anywhere worth going to here. A good spot for drinking in DC is the adams morgon area, its just many blocks of bars. Old town alexandria has lots of bars thats pretty damn close to the airport. I could gone on forever about the bars tell me what kind of bar you like than I can be more specific. As far as sight seeing theres the normal monument crap, I guess if you have never been here it might be neat but its beat into the ground for me since I have been here all my life and went to them all on school field trips. As far as good dining old town has many good places as well. As far as places to stay away from dc has to many of those to list.

fn250 03-29-2005 07:30 PM

I was just lookin for a good place to get some steak, and maybe enjoy some ale. I usually like lounge type bars. Not really into the really rowdy type of places. If I can go into the bar watch some sports/news on the telley and get some beer in me while staying walking distance from the airport, I'll be a very happy camper. Of course scenery would be nice, it never hurt to check out the local girls ;) :D

joedirt 03-29-2005 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by fn250
I was just lookin for a good place to get some steak, and maybe enjoy some ale. I usually like lounge type bars. Not really into the really rowdy type of places. If I can go into the bar watch some sports/news on the telley and get some beer in me while staying walking distance from the airport, I'll be a very happy camper. Of course scenery would be nice, it never hurt to check out the local girls ;) :D

I dont know exactly were your hotel is but there it would be a quite a hike to the airport. But a cab ride would be minutes away from old town. The main strip is King St (rt7). Anway off hand good places are Hard times cafe, Rock it grill, chadwicks, Murpheys. Im sure theres some old town alexandria website with a list. Theres prolly some stuff closer to the airport that I dont know of, the only place that comes to mind near the airport is the crystal city diner, its a steakhouse/strip bar.

CmprSpecial 04-13-2005 07:40 AM

I am curious, how was your trip? Did you find what you were looking for in our great city? How were the "girls"?