Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2004 - 2008 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum24/)
-   -   2004 f150 rearend whine (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/348319-2004-f150-rearend-whine.html)

owenbertram 02-24-2005 08:51 AM

2004 f150 rearend whine

Has anyone heard about a Rearend kit for the 04 f150's? Supposedly the kit will be available 2nd week of march. This kit is supposed to take care of the whine that happens around 50 mph.

jdwheels 02-24-2005 09:01 AM

I have the whine, and took it to the dealer, they heard the whine, and said that the "kit" will be out in March. I have heard that ford was replacing to many rearends, and they are coming out with a easier fix. Hope it works.

osbornk 02-24-2005 09:51 AM

I hope so. Mine had a very slight whine before along with the clutch pack problem. The initial clutch pack replacement didn't work so they replaced everything in the rear end and now I have a louder whine. I advised the dealer and plan to wait on a fix before I have them attempt the repair again. What's in the kit?

KevinM 02-24-2005 04:17 PM

osbornk - I'll bet the mechanic who installed your ring and pinion did not preload and shim it correctly! Take it back and tell them it's worse now than before, and you feel the ring and pinion is not in spec and needs to be blued for setup verification.

osbornk 02-24-2005 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by KevinM
osbornk - I'll bet the mechanic who installed your ring and pinion did not preload and shim it correctly! Take it back and tell them it's worse now than before, and you feel the ring and pinion is not in spec and needs to be blued for setup verification.

I agree. I took it back and talked with the service manager and service advisor and they clearly didn't understand what I was talking about. I told them that when I grew up around here, there wasn't 2 people in the county that could set up a ring and pinion correctly and they apparently still didn't. They know I'll be back and since I'm retired, live 2 miles from the dealership and have plenty of extra vehicles to ride, I'm going to drop it by frequently so they can work on it some more. I've still got 2 years and 8 months to go for them to correct the problem. The lady service manager and service advisor are nice folks but they are not from a mechanical background "Those who can do and those who can't manage".

KevinM 02-25-2005 09:09 AM

Good luck! I hear ya!

rcknrbn 03-14-2005 03:39 PM

Kit available to fix dreaded "whining"?

Is this for real? Does anyone have any updated specifics on this kit?

I called my local dealer and the person I spoke with in the service department claims they don't know anything about it (of course, they still act like my 2004 F150 Screw is the only truck they have seen with the rear end whining!). I would like to be able to go in with some specifics when I talk to the service manager.

They did tell me back in July 2004 that Ford was working on a fix.

Thanks.

jim bruce 03-15-2005 05:59 PM

New kit info.

Last week 11 March a FSE told my dealer to repair the rear axles because of whine/howl. This being the second axle repair the dealership checked at FMCdealer. dealerconnection.com. They said a "new" service axle repair kit and a soon-to-be released TSB in two weeks. They gave me a two page copy of the info. they received. They
are to stop replacing entire rear ends to correct this problem. Primary parts included in the new kits are:

Ring and pinion gears
Pinion bearings
Differential bearings
Crush spacer
Pinion shims
Pinion seal

A TSB will be released approx. the middle of March announcing the "kit", part numbers and stock availability.

rcknrbn 03-15-2005 10:00 PM

Thanks for reply

Jim,

Thanks for the reply regarding the rear end whining. You mentioned that you have a 2 page copy outlining what is to be done in the upcoming fix. Could I possibly bother you for a copy? I would like to be able to have it when I go back to my dealer. I would really appreciate it.

I've gotten so fed up with the rear end whining I'm contemplating a sound system like my teenage sons so I don't have to hear it anymore.

If you could contact me via private message I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again!!!

Mark

jim bruce 03-15-2005 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by rcknrbn
Jim,

Thanks for the reply regarding the rear end whining. You mentioned that you have a 2 page copy outlining what is to be done in the upcoming fix. Could I possibly bother you for a copy? I would like to be able to have it when I go back to my dealer. I would really appreciate it.

I've gotten so fed up with the rear end whining I'm contemplating a sound system like my teenage sons so I don't have to hear it anymore.

If you could contact me via private message I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again!!!

Mark

Mark, contact me b/c if you want me to FAX. Be happy to give you copies. When the service rep. copied these pages he cut the right edge off. You get all the words in the sentence except the last couple. It does show that if dealer has questions contact :

For parts related questions, John Shore at jshore@ford.com

Additional questions, Kirk Born at kborn@ford .com

KevinM 03-16-2005 08:04 AM

Another field repair. well I sure hope the techs know how to setup a rear end correctly, because so far my last two Ford vehicles went to two different dealerships for rear noise which cost me. Even though the noise was not a whine, after they did a full field repair with about the same parts list, they both whinned like crazy. Had it back to them multiple times and since both were out of warranty I could not raise an issue with Ford. But it convinced me that some dealership techs do not know how to preload or blue a gear set.

KingFish FX4 03-29-2005 09:39 AM

The whine is gone only to be replaced with a vibration....

I had the wine at 50 mph so I took to the dealer and ther replaced the ring and pinion and a few other parts dont have the list in front of me now. so they told me they test drove it and did not hear the wine. on the drive home as soon as i got a chance to get up to speed on the fwy hit 50mph and no noise hit 55Mph and the truck starts vibrating hard and then stops at 65 mph. I plan on taking it back to the dealer this after noon but i was wondering if anyone has any ideas or experence with this they can share.

Mark

04 SCrew FX4 5.4 3.73

KevinM 03-29-2005 10:04 AM

That's what i am affraid of, dealer field repairs!

New2004Lariat 03-29-2005 12:13 PM

Dealer installed new R&P kit for me last Friday. Whine/howl noise I had a 65-75 MPH is gone. I'm happy.

twistedrider 04-02-2005 09:48 PM

Just had that completed. I Complained of a very slight howling around 50 MPH. Barely able to hear it , but what the hell it was under warranty. Dealer confirmed the noise and installed a kit under TSB 050618A (Gear and Pinion Asy). All quiet now!