Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Oklahoma Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum92/)
-   -   My '55 f100 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/347425-my-55-f100.html)

rogerf100 02-21-2005 10:38 PM

My '55 f100

I worked on my '55 F100 this week and finally got the bed off the frame and the rear axle removed. I will post pics of the progress on my FTE website at http://www.clubfte.com/users/rogerf100/index.html

Now I just need to remove the cab to do a complete frame off rodstoration. :-fire

None of the cross members for the bed were reusable and I will want to replace the front bedside due to rust out along the bottom edge. The frame is very solid but rusty. My friend torched off the rivets for the front spring perches so I could get the rear axle out and flip the spring perches to work with the mono leaf springs that will be going on with the Ford 9 inch rear axle.

A little more work on disassembly and it will be time to start on rebuilding. :-X22

5356f100 02-22-2005 01:24 AM

I just love those 53 to 56 trucks! I hope to start on my 56 sometime this year.........the 53 still runs (with flathead) so that one can wait as I need to drive it now and then to get my fix. Keep us posted.

cigarxtc 02-22-2005 08:06 AM

Looking good, Roger! It's gonna look great when yer done.

fordthug 02-22-2005 09:51 PM

Cant wait to see pics of it when its finished keep up the good work

rogerf100 02-24-2005 05:26 PM

Up to the minute photos of the tear down on my '55 f100.
:-down
http://www.clubfte.com/users/rogerf100/Eight.html

ranger240 02-25-2005 09:12 PM

hey Roger, you should check out Mar-K for your ENTIRE bed!!!! I used to work there and the quality of the parts they offer is unmatched....PERIOD!!! I wish I could have been of some help with the tear down. I know how fun it is and I like having fun and sometimes sharing it is out of the question, so I can't blame you! hahaha. I am off saturday evenings if you need to get away from the house and turn some wrenches.

rogerf100 02-26-2005 12:23 PM

I have a catalog from Mar-K somewhere. They are who I planned to buy bed parts from. Won't have to pay shipping from out of state vendor but will have to pay sales tax. I have found patch panels that will repair the rust out on the bottom edges of the bed sides, but I would prefer to replace the whole front side. The left and right sides are still usable. I need to get all new cross members. Planning to use a bed floor that has no exposed bolt heads on the top surface. The bed rails have a T slot for special bolts made for them. I know Midfifty sells this floor so I'll bet Mar-K does too.

ranger240 02-26-2005 06:46 PM

you are absolutely correct sir! Mar-K does sell those, and I used to make them, they are sweet!!! or you could go with a stainless conventional style bed strip and weld in the bolts, grind them off and re-polish to a perfect shine!! hahaha, I wish I had a wood floor in my truck so I could go that route. I love the look of a polished sst/oak bed floor.

I have a way around the tax and shipping thing! my sis lives in wichita, and I could have her buy it with your money, and you could pick it up. what do you think?

mgman 02-28-2005 12:20 AM

how much has that set ya back so far, if ya dont mind me askin, where did ya find the parts for the motor, body etc etc,

im getting ready to start up me a project, my 1968 f250 super duty, its mostly a mixed truck, its like a mix between a stock f250, a super duty, and a camperspecial, its was a custom order that the guy that owned it b4 my dad idd

rogerf100 02-28-2005 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by mgman
how much has that set ya back so far, if ya dont mind me askin, where did ya find the parts for the motor, body etc etc,

im getting ready to start up me a project, my 1968 f250 super duty, its mostly a mixed truck, its like a mix between a stock f250, a super duty, and a camperspecial, its was a custom order that the guy that owned it b4 my dad idd

Do you mean the 1976 F250 Camper Special in my gallery and website or the 1955 F100?

mgman 02-28-2005 06:05 PM

both, im doing research, if ya dont mind me asking

rogerf100 03-07-2005 09:43 PM

Wow I will have to do some figuring and remembering. I sold the F250 for $3000 after the new Maaco paint job. I had replaced the blown up 360 with a rebuilt 390. I put new wheels and tires on it. Had to replace the master cylinder and rear axle seals, center carrier bearing on the driveshaft, new ubolts, new battery. Since my Dad gave me the truck I almost broke even.

The '55 F100 is a long term project that I pay for as I go. I will have about $3500 in body work and paint. I spent about $2000 building the motor, not including the aluminum goodies, and about $1000 on the trans/bellhousing. About $800 for front and rear leaf springs and hardware to lower the truck some. I rebuilt a Ford 9 inch rear axle that I got from a junked 68 F100 for about $150, the gears were good so I put new bearings in it. I installed a power disc brake setup on the front that cost about $650. I have a power steering box to install on the original steering column that cost about $360. The only redo is going to be replacing the under floor master cylinder with a remote fill type.

I still have more parts to buy like a wiring harness, electric cooling fan, bucket seats, carpet. I am sure the list will grow.

I hope to get the cab off this spring and clean and paint the frame. Then I will install the power steering box bracket and the steering box/pitman arm. Next will be the rear axle and brake lines and new master cylinder and shocks. That will get a rolling chassis again. The good thing is I already have those parts to install. When I get to that point I can drop in the engine and trans and get a driveshaft I have, modified to fit. Then it will be time for the body. I will need to put a new floor in the bed, but I will save that for last.

mgman 03-08-2005 05:42 PM

cool man, thank ya
im geussing on my rebuild, maybe 15k max, ill prolly just pull out a loan and go from there, since when i turn 16 i get my dads truck, (pics in gallery)

stillwaterharmon 03-24-2005 04:14 PM

nice 55. I'm really diggin the triple carb setup. keep up the good work.

rogerf100 05-28-2005 09:04 PM

A little more progress, I now have the 9 inch rear axle bolted to the frame with the mono leaf springs. Just temporary until I get the frame cleaned and painted. At least it will roll now.