Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Alaska Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum152/)
-   -   Slope trucks? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/347321-slope-trucks.html)

samwe 02-21-2005 07:03 PM

Slope trucks?

My company is selling some rental trucks from the slope via a sealed auction open to the employees.
Anyone know what the value of these is compared to blue book?

They average 60k miles and 7500 hours. Are F350 Crewcab longbeds.
All diesel.
Someone told me 2-3k, wich consdering a blue boko of 13k seesm pretty low.
Has anyone bought a slope truck from an auction before?

arcticoffroadingfish 02-21-2005 11:26 PM

what year are they? my friend bought a slope truck 2 years back it runs great you are better off buying form the slope then a used one from any other place because they keep records of their matainance on their vehicles and do a good job on pm's

mlb4966 02-22-2005 12:51 AM

Hi Sam. The only hesitation that I would have is this: When I worked up there we would let them idle for long periods of times. Sometimes weeks on end. Just something to think about.

Crumm 02-22-2005 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by samwe
They average 60k miles and 7500 hours.

Keep in mind that 7500 hours is the equivalent of 375,000 miles. Like mlb said in the winter they idle for weeks on end. As far as value it would all depend on what kind of shape they are in. Some company's on the slope drive around a little and take good care of things while others use the crap out of there trucks and basically trash them. I am sure for 2-3k you could not go wrong since you could part them out for that. If they are in good shape I doubt 3k will win the bid. I have been to a few Alyeska auctions and it always amazes me how much they get for there old wore out trucks.

Twin Tritons 02-22-2005 11:45 AM

You'd be suprised how much people are willing to bid at auctions. Last year I bid on a truck our company was auctioning off in Prudhoe. It was a late 1980's GMC or Chevy (I know, not a Ford) one-ton crew cab flatbed truck. Nothing pretty, just a basic work truck with about 80,000 miles. The one plus was that is had a spare engine shrink wrapped on a pallet to go with it. I figured I'd bid $1,700. Someone else wanted it a lot more and had the winning bid somewhere around $4,000!

Slope trucks generally don't get very many miles on them, but do get many idling hours like mlb4966 said. What miles they do get are very rough miles. All the roads are gravel and can be very rutted. Most like the suspension has seen a harsh life.

My company used to provide us with rental trucks until the purchased their own last year. VECO does keep the maintenance up pretty well on their trucks. Airport Rentals also has fairly new trucks in good condition. I would venture to guess a 1999-2001 or newer Ford diesel crew cab will go for at least $9,000, but probably closer to $12,000. Then you will also have to add the cost of transporting the vehicle off the slope. At this cost, I hardly think its a very good deal for a slope truck. If you could pick one up for $4,000 - $6,000, it would probably be a decent deal. Keep us informed if you pick one up.

Twin Tritons 02-22-2005 11:49 AM

Sorry, just re-read your post. Sealed bid open to employees. Depending on the size of your company, your may be able to score some pretty good deals. Less people bidding on them mean less competion. If you can swing it, bid fairly low on a couple of trucks. If you get more than one, you could probably sell one at a profits and reduce the overall price you pay for the one you keep. Good luck.

samwe 02-22-2005 01:08 PM

These are '97 from NOSI rentals. Know anything about them?

Crumm 02-22-2005 03:06 PM

You might find that the 1997' model goes for more than a 1999 would. The OBS trucks are getting harder to find everyday. What kind of shape are they in as far as the body goes?

samwe 02-22-2005 10:23 PM

Most are in ok, condition. Lots of scratches and dings. No major stuff.
I drove one today and it wasn't to impressive. If I get one cheap enough maybe it will be ok.
I think I will bid low on multiple.

Twin Tritons 02-23-2005 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by samwe
These are '97 from NOSI rentals. Know anything about them?

Sorry, I don't know anything about those trucks in particular. I hardly see any of the older bodystyle trucks driving around the slope anymore.

I went to www.nadaguides.com and entered in the information on the truck. They are showing a low retail value of $16,825 which assumes good condition based upon 60,000 miles. If you bump it up to 375,000 miles (based upon engine hours that Crumm stated) it drops the low retail to $12,950. Once again, assumes good condition of the truck. I would probably only bid about $3,000 - $4,000 depending upon the condition of the truck.

Like you said, you were not too impressed with the truck. Was it because of the ride or condition of the exterior and interior? I hopped in a 2000 model a couple of days ago and was shocked to see how shabby the interior was. The seat cushion was sunken in about 2" and was pretty dirty. Makes a pretty good work truck, but would take alot of work to make a decent daily driver.

Word of warning on the rental trucks...you never know who may have been driving them. I checked the oil on a long term rental truck which was 5 quarts low! The diver stated that it still had oil pressure so he didn't have to check it!!!

samwe 02-23-2005 11:00 AM

I agree that 4k is a max for them.
The interior wasn't too bad, just needed cleaned.
The truck didn't run like my friends '03 7.3 powerstroke, but his is chipped, can't remember what it was like before the chip.
The steering needed work too. I suspect an alignment and maybe at the worst a steering box.

saint_Nick3 11-13-2012 02:27 PM

Dredging up dead thread

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but has anyone, that has bought a slope rig, pulled all the unnecessary items left in the trucks by the companies? I have one and would like to take out he black tach unit they have installed in it.

Thanks

thefenderbender 07-17-2013 09:42 PM

I would run far far away from a slope truck. Because of the cold the run non-stop and I mean non-stop. The guys get in, go were they are going, get out and leave it running. They even get fueled while running. There is a fear that if they shut it off it might not start again. The workers are so used to it they sometimes I've seen them do it in Cook Inlet out of habit.

My husbands got a dozen trucks from a service company on the slope (donation to where he works). They all had low miles, but when they tore down the engines they were junk. They ended up scraping all the trucks.