Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1947 and Older Ford Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum42/)
-   -   40-41 Ford Pickup (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/340671-40-41-ford-pickup.html)

BobbyC 02-04-2005 05:57 PM

40-41 Ford Pickup

I've owned my 40-41 Ford pickup for 35 years and for one reason or another I've never been in the position to restore it-until now. I had a custom frame made for it by Fat Man's in Charlotte,NC and plan on installing a 502 big block. I will be doing all the mechanical and body work myself and am looking for publications and info pertaining to this project. At the moment I am interested in finding info on installing the body to the frame (using wood blocks,etc.) Any help from you all would be greatly appriciated. Thanks,Bobby

Elder Rodder 02-06-2005 12:14 PM

Which is it, a 40 or a 41? Mac Hils in Moberly, Missouri or Bruce Horkey in Minnesota both have the wood cab and bed supports you will need. They also have the hardware to fasten everything together and a lot more. Check-out Bob Drake in Grant's Pass, Oregon. While you're at it give Chassis Engineering in Lincoln, Nebraska a look also.

Ringo Fonebone 02-07-2005 08:51 AM

Congrats, these are the Best looking Ford trucks ever IMO!
Yours sounds sweet.
502? Hope thats a FORD engine.... :rolleyes:

BobbyC 02-07-2005 06:10 PM

The title specifies that the truck is a 1940/41.Maybe it was built in 40 and sold in 41. It has 41 chrome on the front and sides of the hood.Thanks for the info Elder Rodder.We'll check them out.
That's a Chevy 502 but only because I can't afford a 572........Thanks!

alittle40 02-08-2005 02:22 PM

Sounds like a little too much horsepower for a 2600 # truck, but who says you have to use them all. I guess your headers will be going on the outside of the frame rails and you'll be pushing the firewall back about 7 - 8 inches. If you have a custom frame made for this truck then you may be looking for an alternative way to mount the cab and the box then using wood mounts. I would be looking more towards a steel mount with a rubber isolator between the cab floor and the mount (5/8 to 1" thickness of rubber)IMO.

What's going in behind that 502 to put power to the wheels? trans and rear, that is? 4L60 or 80 with a nine inch Currie narrowed with big meat would put the power to the ground.

BobbyC 02-08-2005 06:36 PM

We have a Munsey 4 speed trans and we have a 9 in. Detroit Locker nodular steel 3rd member but we haven't decided if we will install a 4 speed or an automatic.
We were told by the frame builder that we would need to push the firewall back 5 in. and we are considering a steel mount with a rubber isolator.
Frame rails have been narrowed 2 1/2 in. and it will be tubbed. Not sure at this point if there will be enough meat or not.
Thanks for the info.

Ringo Fonebone 02-09-2005 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by BobbyC
That's a Chevy 502 but only because I can't afford a 572........Thanks!

Oh. I guess I was misled when at the top of my page it said "FORD Truck Enthusiasts"
My mistake/apologies

FTE Ken 02-09-2005 10:44 AM

Chevy engines in Fords are acceptable discussion on this site. As a matter of fact we have a forum section specifically for engine swaps (and ask that users try to keep such discussion there).

Its no different than aftermarket intake, exhaust, brake hardware, alternator, carburator, axle, etc. discussion.

BobbyC 02-09-2005 01:17 PM

Sincere apologies if we offended anyone. I love my Ford truck. As a matter of fact I like many different makes of vehicles. This engine just happens to be my preference.Again,my apologies.

51ford fan 02-21-2005 01:44 AM

BobbyC I'm going to throw in my two cents here. I believe there comes a point where you can have two much horsepower for comfortable street use. My dad installed a 440 w/727 torqueflite into a 68 Dodge 3/4 ton back in the late 70's. I hated driving it when it was empty, not bad with the camper on it. It had a tremendous amount of torque, and was a real head snapper. I realize its none of my business, but if I were you (unless I was Drag Racing) I wouldn't go above 300 horses in that 40.

bootie 02-21-2005 02:00 AM

go for it i'm aiming to squeeze about 700 ponies out of a turboed boss based engine