Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Virginia Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum147/)
-   -   East Va Info? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/329257-east-va-info.html)

FLgargoyle 01-09-2005 07:23 PM

East Va Info?

I am planning to re-locate in a few years, and I like the eastern part of VA because: mild climate (I'm in FL now), affordable rural land, proximity to family. I particularly liked the middle peninsula (Gloucester). Any input on living there? How's the traffic in summer? Taxes? Weather? How 'car-friendly' is VA? I like to tinker on old trucks; I don't want to be hassled. I'd probably look for at least 3 acres in the country. Anything you can tell me would be appreciated!

stutterstan 01-09-2005 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by FLgargoyle
I am planning to re-locate in a few years, and I like the eastern part of VA because: mild climate (I'm in FL now), affordable rural land, proximity to family. I particularly liked the middle peninsula (Gloucester). Any input on living there? How's the traffic in summer? Taxes? Weather? How 'car-friendly' is VA? I like to tinker on old trucks; I don't want to be hassled. I'd probably look for at least 3 acres in the country. Anything you can tell me would be appreciated!

Any ideas on a new career? IMO, traffic is the worst part of the area, other than that everything is the same, if not better than other metro areas. Right now its a hot real estate market, everything seems to be moving west away from the water. You can still find land, it might be a little pricey because of the market, but good deals can still be bargained. As far as "car-friendly", there is a movement going on now to try to eliminate a car tax, might happen in a few years, but who knows.

stu37d 01-10-2005 08:12 PM

They pay state tax in VA. I am still a Florida resident and haven't paid taxes in years (state taxes). If you are looking for solitude, you may have to go alot further than you want to into the middle of the state. I know of a few people on my ship that drive about 60 miles each way to work. It is definitely pretty here, especially up around Shenandoah, but the local area's real estate market is through the roof. They also have a few odd laws- for example radar dectectors are illegal. But all-in-all, I think it is a good place to live. If you can handle the traffic.

Franken-Truck 01-10-2005 09:51 PM

Traffic is the number one bummer about this area. Everyone and their sisters family has your idea (nothing personal). This place is getting crowded. Not enough road for all the people. And land is the hot ticket around here. Townhouses and condos going up everywhere. Makes me sick :-rip My kids will be lucky to see the pictures of the woods that used to be around my neighborhood. If you want a place to live that will be rural for more than 20 years, stick to the area of Suffolk and farther west, and not much farther north than Richmond. Just my "immenent doom" opinion, not trying to scare ya away or anythin' :-X22

FLgargoyle 01-11-2005 04:20 PM

I'm looking to get closer to my family, which is scattered from VA to VT, without going to too cold a climate. I've been living in FL for 25 years! Everything north of Richmond is very $$$, as is west Richmond. Seems like east of Richmond is cheaper. We found houses on our trip last month in the Gloucester VA area, that we could easily buy for cash w/ the equity we have in our FL house. Not sure about making a living, tho, unless I commute to Newport News. I'm also looking at the area south of Richmond, just west of Emporia; Victoria is one town. Real estate is dirt cheap; haven't actually been there yet.

GLR 01-12-2005 07:49 AM

Try Southwest VA, along rt 81. I'm near Stuart Unemployment rate is high in this area but there is a WalMart coming in next year. Around Christiansburg is nice area. Try some newspapers on the net that will give you an idea of how things are in the area. Good Luck, George

raoul 01-12-2005 10:06 AM

There are still bargains to be had in Gloucester, don't know for how many more years though.
If you live in Gloucester and commute to Newport News there is a 50 cent bridge toll, North bound only.

Kids in school ?

stu37d 01-12-2005 11:26 AM

Some very good friends of the family are moving to Wise, VA. It's about as far west in the state as you can get. TN, KY and WV are only a hop and a skip from there. It is extremely wooded and mountainous. Thought about moving out that way myself. I guess land is fairly cheap, too. I've always liked the small town atmosphere.

FLgargoyle 01-13-2005 03:01 PM

My son graduates this May, so schools are not an issue. I like western VA; the mountains are pretty, but I'm worried about it being to cold. As far as real estate goes, as long as my house here keeps up, it doesn't matter if prices go up. I'd like a modest house on 3 acres or more. I'd even go mobile home for starters. I'm not sure of a time frame; my son starts college locally next fall; it all depends on how independent he becomes. Could be a year; could be 5 years. I might buy acreage soon as a hedge against rising prices.

raoul 01-13-2005 03:08 PM

Sounds like the World is your oyster.
In your situation I would be looking for tax advantages of which Virginia ain't one. I don't know what they do with all the tax money. Sure don't spend it on the schools because I are a product of them.

Franken-Truck 01-13-2005 04:21 PM

It goes to the never ending road projects and tax incentives for developers :-X22

I don't think the skools are that bad. By the way, it should "I be", not "I are" :-wink

texan2004 01-13-2005 07:58 PM

You may want to look South of Glouscester. Smithfiled, Surry, Isle of Wight. Also, Matthews, and New Kent County. I lived in Poquoson for five or six years and really liked it there. I grew up in Newport News, product of their schools. They weren't bad but that was 20+ years ago. Not sure I would want to live in Newport News or Hampton. Williamsburg James City County area is also nice. Have not lived in the area in over 10 years but go back about once a year.

big6-87bronco 01-13-2005 09:51 PM

I live in Isle of Wight and it use to be a very nice place (still is for the most part) to live but there is sooooo much growth going on these days around here that houses and businesses are popping up everywhere. I remember the days of only seeing a few cars go by my house during the course of a day and now it looks like a major highway! If things get much worse and crowded I will move a little farther out in the woods.

thebnest 01-20-2005 09:10 PM

Isle of Wight / Smithfield is growing like crazy. Real Estate has gone through the roof, "AFFORDABLE" housing is a joke, developers definition starts around 300K! You may want to stay away from Isle of Wight no businesses for tax base, homeowners are about to be blasted with more and more taxes. It's a bad balance right now!

big6-87bronco 01-21-2005 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by thebnest
Isle of Wight / Smithfield is growing like crazy. Real Estate has gone through the roof, "AFFORDABLE" housing is a joke, developers definition starts around 300K! You may want to stay away from Isle of Wight no businesses for tax base, homeowners are about to be blasted with more and more taxes. It's a bad balance right now!

It is just like "thebnest" said, and if you live in the town of Windsor (which is in Isle of Wight County) you get to pay personal property taxes for both the town and the county. In the past 10 years taxes have been going up rapidly and I am sure they will be steadily going up with no end in sight.

Even though there are a few big businesses in the Isle of Wight area like International paper, Smithfield Foods, Gwaltneys, Cost Plus, it is still not enough to cover the tax base like was mentioned above. The county is trying to bring in more big businesses but I have a bad feeling that the 300 acre field in front of my house will wind up being an industrial park or a housing development in the next couple of years. A lot of farmland and woods has been taken down for this purpose around here.

You would not believe what people are paying for houses around here. Right down my road they built a new house, looks like a decent size three or four bedroom house with a two car garage and it sold for $250,000, the kicker is that right in front of the house is the railroad track for Norfolk Southern Railroad, about 40 yards from the front steps! I hope they are use to loud noises at all hours of the night or at least have sound proofed the house.