Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Flathead V8 & Flathead 6 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum57/)
-   -   Flathead 6 Rebuild Costs? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/326227-flathead-6-rebuild-costs.html)

JoeGodbee 01-02-2005 06:59 PM

Flathead 6 Rebuild Costs?

How much should I expect to have my flathead six rebuilt? There are gobs of info on rebuilding the Flathead V8, but nothing I can find on the Flathead 6!!! I just purchased a 1949 F-1 that I will be doing a restore/customize on. Since I already have this motor and trans in the truck I might as well try and use it! Anyone ever had their Flathead 6 rebuilt? The previous owner said he almost go this thing running but that the starter didnt want to turn.

oscarxyz 01-05-2005 03:25 PM

I was having a similar discussion here after Christmas. Only one person responded with cost of a rebuild (1500 - 2500, in his area).
We did discuss my difficulties with determining if the 6 would start (or run) at all.
I am similar to your position from the sounds of it. My 48 has a flathead 6 in 4 speed in it. I am all for keeping it .... if the cost is not so great that a more modern engine starts looking good.

I would be interested if you find out more info on your possible rebuild. I will keep an eye on the link.

Good luck.

51ford fan 01-06-2005 01:43 PM

I also have a 226 6 cylinder in my 51 with the non-syncro 4 speed. I was able to ge it running after it had sit for 12 or so years. It runs good now, but I believe I hear some bearing noise, probably a crank bearing. The flywheel had come loose, I descovered, upon getting it started after purchasing it.
I was looking at a web site the sells rebuild kits for the 6 last night. They offered several kits ranging from $600.00 to $1100.00.
I will be getting my truck on the road this month and plan to drive it for a while to deside if I want to swap out the engine for a later V8. I will be sure this time that if I do swap it out that I have all the parts on hand to get it going again in a timely manner. In the past I would just go to it blind and never have the funds to complete the project. Then, after it sit for so long I would loose intrest and sell it. Always taking less than it would have been worth if It was running.

M6ride 02-06-2005 09:45 PM

oversized valves; any thoughts?

Just wondering if anyone has put in the hardened valve seats,

oversized valves (if so, what sizes),

changed the valve springs or just replaced with new ones,

???

Bullet-Nose 02-28-2005 03:38 PM

I paid $2,500.00 to get my 51 Studebaker flathead six rebuilt, with hardened valve seats. Been running great for 3 years.

51ford fan 03-02-2005 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Bullet-Nose
I paid $2,500.00 to get my 51 Studebaker flathead six rebuilt, with hardened valve seats. Been running great for 3 years.

Who did the rebuid.

Bullet-Nose 03-03-2005 06:22 PM

My mechanic sent it out to a rebuilder in Canada. I don't know who did it, but he said they do a lot of older engines.