Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum26/)
-   -   diablo Sport or the Super chips microtuner? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/324512-diablo-sport-or-the-super-chips-microtuner.html)

g-divisionboyz 12-29-2004 10:07 AM

diablo Sport or the Super chips microtuner?

Sorry, I am a new with Lightning trucks, just got mine about two weeks ago. I am thinking to upgrade but my warranty kepts me at bay...... I heard some people say that use programers will not void my warranty as long as I re-set it back to stock when its time for me to bring the truck back for warranty service. can someone let me let if this is true? and which works best?

yysenhimer 12-29-2004 12:12 PM

They can basically void your warranty for just about anything. Using a flash tuner instead of a chip will help since the contacts on the PCM don't have to be scraped. But if they really want to find out if it has been flashed, then they can.
Either tuner is good, it all depends on who did the tuning. I've heard the Diablo tunes out of the box are real "Hot" and have also heard of blown motors because of them. WHatever tuner you decide on, get on the dyno and check the A/F ratio to make sure it is safe. I used the Superchips tuner myself.

g-divisionboyz 12-29-2004 12:15 PM

okay, thanks............I was thinking of going with the supertuner myself. I did heard the diablo is more wild too and blown motors. What is the average time for a dyno?

FTE Ken 12-29-2004 12:24 PM

You know, Motorhaven.com is one of Diablo's largest dealers, and has been programming since Diablo's start (first programming hardware had a hand scraped serial number of "4") and in all that time: not one blown Lightning engine. The Diablo Predator is an excellant tool, and dyno tested safe. The only people with blown engines are those who either do something stupid (such as poorly calibrated MAFs with a pulley) or with chips by people who burn bad tunes. I'm not saying this out of pure bias, MotorHaven.com sells both DiabloSport and Superchips, and there's some misinformation out there.

yysenhimer 12-29-2004 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by webmaster
You know, Motorhaven.com is one of Diablo's largest dealers, and has been programming since Diablo's start (first programming hardware had a hand scraped serial number of "4") and in all that time: not one blown Lightning engine. The Diablo Predator is an excellant tool, and dyno tested safe. The only people with blown engines are those who either do something stupid (such as poorly calibrated MAFs with a pulley) or with chips by people who burn bad tunes. I'm not saying this out of pure bias, MotorHaven.com sells both DiabloSport and Superchips, and there's some misinformation out there.

Was referring to the Boxed Diablo tunes and not the custom tunes that are installed from any of the big tuners. Either way I would have the A/F checked even if SCCT tuned it directly. $100 dyno can save a 6K motor and a lot of headache.

G- Call around or check dynojet's website for local dyno centers, then compare the prices of all your local places. Also find out if they have ever done a Lightning before and how they take their A/F numbers (Through the tail pipe or directly from the O2 port on the drivers side). Tail pipe is less reliable.

g-divisionboyz 12-29-2004 03:33 PM

thanks guys for the inputs..........Sorry, another dumb question, the programmer just use the factory stock chip to program the ECU or do I need buy another chip to do so? Not sure how they work.

yysenhimer 12-29-2004 04:42 PM

The hand held programmer (Diablo or Superchips) plugs into the diagnostic port under the driver side dash. It plugs in to load the new program and then it is removed. Very clean, no chips, no opening the PCM, no scraping off contacts on the PCM, and best of all, no chips to lose contact making your truck not start in the middle of a snow storm when it is 5 degrees out at night after working 16 hours on a job being 10 miles from your hotel and nobody to call because you are out of state. :rolleyes:

Here's the link to Dynojet's website http://www.dynojet.com/dyno_centers/...tive/index.php

g-divisionboyz 12-30-2004 08:25 AM

wow, that is cool but I drop by a local guy here who does dyno mustangs and he had a few lightning at the shop too. he told me that he can sell me a diablo programer and dyno the truck for $650.00. He also stated that he can set three settings for me and when I need to take the truck by for warranty service, I can just set the truck back to stock and the dealer will not know I upgrade anything, is this true? I am getting mixed infos about this...............

yysenhimer 12-30-2004 12:18 PM

That price seems kind of high for a dyno tune with a programmer. I know of some companies that will cut you a break if getting a dyno tune and programmer at the same time. Motorhaven is selling the Predator for $399 - $50 instant rebate and free overnight shipping. How many Lightnings have they done? I would feel better they were Lightning experts or something. I don't know. I don't have that problem because JDM Engineering is 1/2 hour from my house.

g-divisionboyz 01-03-2005 10:15 AM

I know.........that price is kinda high for just a programmer and tuning. This is the only guy I know so far who does L tuning around here. He just did a 99' L which is fully modified motor and he even told me its pumping around 500hps. This guy got a few Corbas sitting in his shop waitting to be tuned too. I guess he is a Ford expert. I live in Sacramento,Ca. The next guy I know is out of town in Santa Cruz somewhere which is about a few hours away. I did contact Anthony @ JDM and he was cool. He offered me a stage I for around $600.00 or so........ Air filter, #4 pulley, and chip for that price.......