Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Georgia Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum82/)
-   -   HELLO ALL! Where can I find a good mechanic? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/320854-hello-all-where-can-i-find-a-good-mechanic.html)

COACHBRITT 12-19-2004 05:03 PM

HELLO ALL! Where can I find a good mechanic?

I have a 01 F150 V8 5.4. The other day I was driving down the road and it started riding really ruff! So bad that I thought I might have a flat tire. In any case there was no flat tire the truck still rides ruff and idles bad. It almost sounds like it wants to choke out then it will idel up and repeat the pattern. Today I changed the air filter, PCV Valve, and Fuel filter but the problem only seems to get worse. The only mods I have is an afetr market throttle body spacer, an Airaid intake system, dual exhaust, and I have a hyper tech programmer. After I changed the fuel filter, the check engine light came on. I tuned it back to stock and reset the computer thinking that might help things out. The check engine light went off but the problem is still there. I have run out of ideas. Does anyone have any suggestions? I live in Flowery Branch - anyone know of a good mechanic?

Thanks
Coach

jharvey3 12-19-2004 07:16 PM

Coach you may want to put this question up in the 97-03 f-150 forum and see what answers you get. My first thought is possibly a vacuum line that's come loose, but that's a SWAG.

Oh yeah welcome aboard
John

old87 12-19-2004 07:55 PM

Welcome Coach,
Sorry I can't help ya but you're in good company.

Ladyfire3374 12-21-2004 12:06 AM

There's a guy in Gainesville who was recommended to me - lemme see if I can find his name.

Hey John, if it was a vacuum line & it affected him going down the road, you should be able to hear it in May'retta.

jharvey3 12-21-2004 07:40 PM

Hey John, if it was a vacuum line & it affected him going down the road, you should be able to hear it in May'retta.
Yeah it was a thought, my '93 Exploder has this problem some times, a vac line pops loose from the intake manifold and the thing feels like it's going to shake itself apart. I have learned with the PSD that you start looking at the "so obvious that couldn't be it" stuff first.

John

rebocardo 01-06-2005 12:02 AM

You need to find someone with a OBDII $600 scanner and watch the data. Being a 2001, I would just take it to a dealer. You really do not want someone mickey mousing around with your 5.4. Look for a Blue Oval certified dealer.

Smaug 01-06-2005 05:48 AM

sounds like the IAC valve.

CobraXP 01-10-2005 10:14 PM

I don't know where you are from Morrow, but I would suggest a guy named Courtney at Spartan Lincoln Mercury. He is the best around - modified or stock. Just to tell you how much I think of him - I am having my engine replaced in my Explorer with a new crate engine from Ford - same size - 302 - just a little more horsepower. Any Ford dealership in Salt Lake should be able to swap it out, but I don't trust just anyone. I sent my Explorer back 2100 miles to Courtney to get him to do the work.... :-X22

tex94F250 01-16-2005 07:49 AM

Coach, try Bob Menzies @ Car Care America. I have used him and trust him. E-mail me for contact info. or look in "the book". He's in Suwannee, on Peachtree Industrial just north of the Kroger @ 317. Hope this helps.
Tex

Porcoffroad 01-28-2005 05:23 PM

I bet its one of the coil packs.

ttyl
bobby