Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fuel Injection, Carburetion & Fuel System (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum72/)
-   -   Truck Starts Hard, Then Dies (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/319312-truck-starts-hard-then-dies.html)

websthes 12-15-2004 12:49 PM

Truck Starts Hard, Then Dies

'90 302 efi.

truck starts hard... when i get it going i have to keep my foot on the gas, make high rpm's so it won't stall. after a minute or two the truck always dies. my brother in law thinks it's a fuel problem. that its just consuming hte fuel left in the line. but the pump worked good when i changed the filter. i'm thinking it's the pressure regulator. called the parts store started getting prices from 60 to 160$ CAN.

looked on ebay.. there's nothing for ford trucks but they sell a lot of parts for 86-93 5.0 mustangs... will the part work? where else can i order one. lot of places don't like to deliver to canada either

LxMan1 12-16-2004 10:59 PM

I would check the fuel pressure before I bought anything, It should be between 32 and 40 PSI.
Did the distributor move and slow the tining way down? Have you checked for vacuum leaks? Make sure that the vacuum line to the MAP sensor is good or it will flood itself out.
Does it smell rich? Black smoke?

websthes 12-17-2004 10:37 AM

i already bought one. we were down in new york so i got one at autozone for 19$. a gp sorensen brand. feel better just knowing i have an extra one.

i'm going to look at the vacuum hose like you say. don't really know what i'm looking for but i have the chilton book.

websthes 12-18-2004 10:44 AM

i can get it to start the first time... runs nice for a minute then dies... then it won't start again and when it does it runs really bad, stumbles, makes a lot of smoke, then dies

guess the fuel system is out of whack.. found the red plastic line goes from the fuel pressure reg to the top of the manifold. from there's rubber lines going all over the place. hoses look OK but don't really know what to look for

oh and i cleaned the iac with carb cleaner and put it back in. should i unplug the battery for a bit to reset the computer?

i put a tester on the valve in the fuel rail. one turn, five turns of the key, pressure comes up 22 each time

jdhudall 12-18-2004 04:11 PM

I would check the MAF MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR because my 98 ranger did the same exact thing it would start up hard and only run for a minute or less and then die! I thought it was the fuel also but that wasn't the problem if you know of some one with a truck like yours just swap out the MAF sensor and try that if it doesn't work than at least you won't waste any money I just barrowed one from my neighbor and the truck started right up and ran fine!!

LxMan1 12-18-2004 05:38 PM

22 is low on the fuel pressure, it should come up to around 40 when you turn the key on a couple of times.