Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   Engine Idle Control (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/301352-engine-idle-control.html)

mystic201 10-29-2004 05:59 PM

Engine Idle Control

Hi everyone, I recently picked up my new 05 . I was under the impression that the new psd came with an idle control . If this is true my dealer can't tell me anything about it . I was hoping someone here could? Thanks for your help .

frdfan 10-29-2004 06:21 PM

AICM... Auxiliary Idle Control Module or APCM..Auxiliary Power Control Module. Same thing but it is an option. What does it do,, according to my manual it can

-Maintain battery charge
-Elevate engine speed for increased power output at idle.
-Power up an auxiliary PTO with optional upper and lower speed limits.
Elevate idle speed or maintain charge automatically, without additional driver input.
-Control engine speed from a remote location on the vehicle.

That's right from the manual,, which I haven't read yet. The only thing I've used my AICM for right now is to raise the rpms a bit when warming up the truck.

JimRietz 10-29-2004 09:29 PM

According to this document, it appears that it is just a matter of connecting a few wires. I found this elsewhere on this site: Y-Guy's profile

If I have time this weekend, I'm going to try setting up an Upfitter switch to control high idle.

Jim

t_j82 10-30-2004 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by frdfan
AICM... Auxiliary Idle Control Module or APCM..Auxiliary Power Control Module. Same thing but it is an option. What does it do,, according to my manual it can

-Maintain battery charge
-Elevate engine speed for increased power output at idle.
-Power up an auxiliary PTO with optional upper and lower speed limits.
Elevate idle speed or maintain charge automatically, without additional driver input.
-Control engine speed from a remote location on the vehicle.

That's right from the manual,, which I haven't read yet. The only thing I've used my AICM for right now is to raise the rpms a bit when warming up the truck.

I asked the service mgr about this yesterday and was told that if you go to a place like Knaphede or someone who installs PTO's they will be able to put it in. There are about 4-5 wires in a bundle that need to be spliced into a circuit and the head unit is ajustable for RPM desired. No more big box in the cab, just a small one.

mystic201 10-30-2004 03:07 PM

Thanks for the info Guys . I have a options list for 05 psd 's and it says this is a standard option (code99p) for this year truck . I guess this could be wrong.

stanphil 10-30-2004 06:47 PM

id did not come on my new truck. It is a nice option though. I had one on my 97 ford. It plugged right into a harness under the dash. took 2min to install.

arcturner 10-30-2004 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by JimRietz
According to this document, it appears that it is just a matter of connecting a few wires. I found this elsewhere on this site: Y-Guy's profile

If I have time this weekend, I'm going to try setting up an Upfitter switch to control high idle.

Jim

Jim: That's a great idea. If you figure it out, please post the details. Thanks, Mike

me1mckee 10-31-2004 06:57 PM

I install PTO's regularly at work. The PTO switch also closes a circuit to/ from the ECM/ PCM and tells the comp. to set the engine at a preset RPM. As far as adjusting that RPM level, I have never tried, but I'm sure it could be programmed in. We only need the torque converter to lock and the engine to maintain the factory preset PTO RPM's to run our hydraulic pumps. This would only require a single switch, but in the 05's there may be more wires like in many heavy trucks....i.e. Cat engines have numerous connections which are used like a set/resume switch wired remotely or to provide for remote throttle controls to attain a preset programmed 1-2-3-etc RPM.

t_j82 11-01-2004 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by me1mckee
but in the 05's there may be more wires like in many heavy trucks....i.e. Cat engines have numerous connections which are used like a set/resume switch wired remotely or to provide for remote throttle controls to attain a preset programmed 1-2-3-etc RPM.

There were about 5 wires that I was shown and told that a remote throttle control hooks to them and a loop circuit is made. When the digital remote is installed you can choose your RPM levels with a switch almost as described above.

t_j82 11-02-2004 06:19 AM

'05 Idle control prices

At the dealer waiting for my truck I decided to walk over to parts and ask about some things.
Aux Idle Control for the '05 from Ford.
W/O PTO $635.00
W/PTO $735.00

simpleman 11-02-2004 08:41 AM

I was under the same impression about the AIC being an option, but an interesting experience just yesterday has peaked my curiosity. I used my factory remote start to let it warm up for a few minutes before going out. When I got the kid in and climbed in, I noticed the RPM's sounded higher, low and behold, after putting the key in and touching the brake, the RPM's dropped. Reminded me of a carburated high idle. now this 05 PSD is the first diesel I've ever owned but in my years driving international trucks, I never heard of this before. Any thoughts?

Frobozz 11-02-2004 08:54 AM

The later 7.3s and the 6.0s all have a cold weather strategy that includes high-idling. The 7.3s, once they started making the 747-in-mating-season noises would stay like that until you pressed on the brake or gas. The 6.0 is nicer, in that it will reassess things every couple of minutes, and can actually idle back down again... then up again if it needs to, and so on. You can definitely hear the 6.0 turbo lightly singing at high idle, by the way.

Duncan

t_j82 11-02-2004 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Frobozz
The 7.3s, once they started making the 747-in-mating-season noises would stay like that until you pressed on the brake or gas.
Duncan

I love that analogy :-X14 I wondered how to explain the sound on my '02 in the winter.

simpleman 11-02-2004 10:48 AM

speaking of singing, I have to admit, I love to hear the sound of that turbo singin'. Probably look like quite a goof with my big grin all the time as I'm toolin' down the road.:-X10

btw, thanks Duncan, appreciate the insight. Its fantastic, the wealth and generosity of fellow Ford owners in the sharing of information on this forum.

arcturner 11-02-2004 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by simpleman
speaking of singing, I have to admit, I love to hear the sound of that turbo singin'. Probably look like quite a goof with my big grin all the time as I'm toolin' down the road.:-X10

It's a great secret. Even my wife doesn't know about it.