Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Removal and Installation of "wing" windows (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/294096-removal-and-installation-of-wing-windows.html)

afunk 10-12-2004 10:30 AM

Removal and Installation of "wing" windows

Yup-
Some #$%@! busted out the driver side "wing" window (that little one in front of the main side window) on my 94 F150, and then stole my radio. Seeing as how the nice weather is quickly waning, I want to get this replaced. I was figuring on getting a used one from a junk yard. But I can't get the old one out. I thought if I drilled out the rivet holding the frame in at the top, the bottom would pop out. The bottom does not seem to be attached with a fastner, but it is not pulling out. Any suggestions?
Thanks
-Andy

dkaplan 10-13-2004 04:58 AM

afunk,
It is not too bad to do. I just did mine for the same reason. If you remove the weatherstrip on the door, you will see a couple of bolts. After you take them out, the entire assembly should lift out. The vent window is in its own frame and the entire frame will come out. I was surprised when the yard replacement was more that just the window. The only tricky part is getting it past the large window when you install it. The guy at the junk yard said that it was a "pita" to do. Mine was pretty easy.

afunk 10-13-2004 11:56 AM

Thanks for the info. I will hopefully get around to this on the upcoming weekend.
-Andy

cmoore99 10-13-2004 02:18 PM

I had to have my wing window ('92 F150) replaced for the same reason. Some B*****d broke it out and stole my CD/Radio. I watched the window guy replace it and vowed the next time I would do it myself. The window guy cleaned all of the broken glass and sealant out of the old frame. He squirted some new sealant into the frame and slid the new glass in the frame. After that he cleaned off the excess sealant with a single edge razor blade. He told me to leave the window slightly ajar for about 24 hours to let the sealant dry. All of this was done in about 20 minutes without taking the wing frame off. DIY. Good Luck.

mikeyboy 11-12-2004 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by cmoore99
I had to have my wing window ('92 F150) replaced for the same reason...

(sorry to resurrect a zombie thread...)

this is very cool, thanks for the recap. i just bought a 1990 F-150 that has it's driver vent window broken out of it (and the door pocket is currently full of water... ugh)

the frame is intact. i need to replace the glass but the cheapest quote i've gotten so far has been $85. seems awfully pricey for 5 minutes worth of labor and $12 worth of parts.

a local junkyard quoted me $8.50 for the part, i just have to figure out how to get the (good) glass out of the donor part without breaking it, or i have to replace the whole frame too.

i'll try and take pictures of the process, whichever one i end up doing. :)