Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1978 - 1996 Big Bronco (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum44/)
-   -   Why is my Bronco so Dusty? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/294068-why-is-my-bronco-so-dusty.html)

raldo_gtm 10-12-2004 09:15 AM

Why is my Bronco so Dusty?

I wonder if anyone has this problem. When I go off roading, the interior gets dusty. I checked the weather stripping and it looks all good to me. The tailgate also looks fine, so what's the deal? :-huh

JBronco 10-12-2004 09:16 AM

There must be a leak somewhere near the tailgate - but I think that dust gets in no matter what, even with good seals. I don't think that there is much that we can do to stop it. I just replaced most of the seals back there, I will have to see if it still gets dusty.

AKBronco96 10-12-2004 12:47 PM

I have the same problem. after offroading I have to hose out the seals really well to get the silt out. In doing this I noticed that lots of water came in around the weather stripping around the wing window, under the doors and under the tailgate. Mud comes in under the tailgate too.

Kim

raldo_gtm 10-12-2004 02:58 PM

You know, I't noticed that I also have some water coming into the back passenger's side. When I was digging around for a possible sub-box, I seen that there was a damp spot under the rubber mat. I also had my windows tinted recently, and they could have soak the snot out of the back. But, I think that I'm going to trun on the Vent on High and use soapy water to locate the leaks.

AKBronco96 10-12-2004 03:28 PM

The leaks in the seals don't bother me too much for now. I do alot of water crossings and mudding. so far, none of my passengers have gotten wet. I replaced my rear side windows a couple years ago. a rock bounced from a bellydumper off the highway and smashed the window in. I got tinted replacements for both sides from the salvage yard. looks good to me. I also use my truck for a bit of street dragging. lots of fun!!

Kim

Gary (UT) 10-13-2004 09:35 AM

I do a lot of driving on dusty roads on the west deserts of Utah. I have noticed most of the dust in my 94 comes in around the tail gate and the rear window gasket. It is probably time to replace all of the seals and gaskets.

JBronco 10-13-2004 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by raldo_gtm
You know, I't noticed that I also have some water coming into the back passenger's side. When I was digging around for a possible sub-box, I seen that there was a damp spot under the rubber mat. I also had my windows tinted recently, and they could have soak the snot out of the back. But, I think that I'm going to trun on the Vent on High and use soapy water to locate the leaks.

It is most likely the drip rails above the doors. They get tiny cracks in them and let rain inside the door which seeps down to the corner at the back of the door and soaks the spot that you are talking about. I just sealed mine, it has not rained yet but I sprayed water all over them and went through a car wash and so far it is bone dry.

tombob 10-13-2004 02:58 PM

Also choking in the dust

Man, tell me about dust! I have driven myself nuts trying to track down the cause of the dust entering my '80 Bronco. I have replaced door and tailgate seals as well as the rear widnow seals.

When going down a dusty road, a fine cloud of dust rolls in from under the passenger side dash. I suspect it is coming in the opening to the recirculation system. Very frustrating. To cut down the dust, I have to close windows, and et teh AC to Max setting--the AC does not work BTW, I thik it just pressurizes the interior a bit and slows down the dust.

raldo_gtm 10-13-2004 04:43 PM

Yeah, I know what you mean. I pressurized the interior and I found leaks everywhere. From the door to the tailgate, and the rear window. I think that you're right about the recirculation system. Man it sucks tho', my cargo get dusted with fine dust.

ANdrewdrice 10-13-2004 08:22 PM

well, seeing as how we all live on a planet composed of "dirt" I dont think you can solve the problem. no car or truck will ever be able to keep dust out, its just the way of things. I live in the southwest and no way in (you know where) will I ever be able to stop it, especially if I go four wheeling. just keep a cali cleaner or like a swiffer cloth in your rig, and wipe it down every once and again.

EDIT: after reading this I found I came off as kind of a "A" hole, so not to offend anybody, I was just telling the truth. :-X22

genueix 10-13-2004 10:06 PM

A-hole! :-X09

tombob 10-14-2004 05:31 AM

I have had other vehicles that I have used on dusty country roads and have never had a dust problem to the extent I have in my Bronco. However, it is some odd comfort to know that others are experiencing the same frustration.

I bought on of those huge Rubbermaid storage boxes to keep in the cargo area and I put stuff in there that I don't want to get dusty.

raldo_gtm 10-15-2004 09:04 AM

:-hair Damn, I kind of knew that the dust would win. I also live in the SW and do alot of backroads driving. I'm going to buy a bag-o-rags and leave it in the Bronco....also some Armor All :-arrgh :-X09

ANdrewdrice 10-15-2004 01:27 PM

armorall attracts dust. it sticks to the greasey residue. I use windex to get rid of dust!

raldo_gtm 10-15-2004 01:44 PM

Yeah, but Windex really don't shine that well. Besides, the dust is gonna get in anyway.