Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   2003 6.0 fuel leak! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/282180-2003-6-0-fuel-leak.html)

c dogg 09-12-2004 09:20 AM

2003 6.0 fuel leak!

I have a 2003 6.0 that has 15,000 mi, and up until now have had no major problems and love my truck. Recently my F 550 sprung a fuel leak while I was driving. I thought no big deal, so I took it in to have the fuel line replaced. It took a week to get the fuel line in, Now you need to understand that I am a concrete contractor and my truck is my livelyhood. I get the truck back and the next morning the same fuel leak appears. OK, I am trying to be patient and realize that people make mistakes so I have it towed to the service dept. They tell me that it is bearly leaking and would be OK to drive. When I looked under the truck while it was running diesel was pouring off the top of my transmission on to the ground! It was not OK to drive! Allright, so I get the truck delivered back to me a WEEK later! Finally I have my truck back, I get in it to go to work ,after spending an hour loading it with all my tools, and I start it up and I smell diesel, I look under it and I have a three foot around puddle of diesel on the ground! OK, NOW I (SNIP), I call the service dept and try to be calm, explaining the problem is back, they tow the truck back to the shop, I get a call from the shop foreman, he says that he can't find any leak. I don't know what to do next, remember this truck is my only way to earn a living, I have customers waiting for me to get there job done. Anyway, I was wondering if anybody out there has had a problem like this, any help would be great, Thanks.

Daryl Hunter 09-12-2004 10:14 AM

Wow, seems like that dealership needs a new diesel mechanic - one with eyes!

mikewrt 09-12-2004 12:06 PM

and mabye a nose. I would think you could smell it all over the underside.

minkman 09-12-2004 03:16 PM

hey c doog check your fuel filters, mine had a leak at only 40 miles , took it back and found the upper fuel filter gasket was missing :rolleyes: I know its a long shot but worth a look. Mike

RealMenPowerstroke! 09-12-2004 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by c dogg
I have a 2003 6.0 that has 15,000 mi, and up until now have had no major problems and love my truck. Recently my F 550 sprung a fuel leak while I was driving. I thought no big deal, so I took it in to have the fuel line replaced. It took a week to get the fuel line in, Now you need to understand that I am a concrete contractor and my truck is my livelyhood. I get the truck back and the next morning the same fuel leak appears. OK, I am trying to be patient and realize that people make mistakes so I have it towed to the service dept. They tell me that it is bearly leaking and would be OK to drive. When I looked under the truck while it was running diesel was pouring off the top of my transmission on to the ground! It was not OK to drive! Allright, so I get the truck delivered back to me a WEEK later! Finally I have my truck back, I get in it to go to work ,after spending an hour loading it with all my tools, and I start it up and I smell diesel, I look under it and I have a three foot around puddle of diesel on the ground! OK, NOW I AM ****ED OFF, I call the service dept and try to be calm, explaining the problem is back, they tow the truck back to the shop, I get a call from the shop foreman, he says that he can't find any leak. I don't know what to do next, remember this truck is my only way to earn a living, I have customers waiting for me to get there job done. Anyway, I was wondering if anybody out there has had a problem like this, any help would be great, Thanks.

Hey Bubba,

Sounds like the problem isn't the part, nor the truck, but most definately the dealer. Anyone who is that blind and senseless shouldn't be anywhere near these pricey beasts. Let us know where you're from and hopefully someone on here will know a great dealer around you that can have you fixed up in just a few days. Just for proof it's your dealer. A buddy of mine had his codeless problem diagnosed and heads rebuilt in 4 days. By the way, look at the tech number on your invoice and ask to see his crudentials. If they won't allow that, then something is seriously shady. If his records do not show he is a full Diesel Tech not just a Diesel Maintenace or whatever else. You have a rather large chance of being reimbursed for time off and loss of wages. Buddy of mine had his truck at his dealer for 21 days and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. He found out they had a gasser tech troubleshooting. He told them he was going to file with the board. Long before he got a date set, they dealer wrote him a check for 21 days lost labor, and that month's truck payment. They knew they were in huge trouble. He took it to my dealer and as just stated, in 4 days hey was back on the road and has since put thousands of miles on it, he says it runs better now than new.

Best of Luck,
Corey

:-X01 *Parts Changers*

P.S. If you really want to prove your case that they are the ones who are screwing up. Crawl under the truck with their tech and point it out. Then get the service manager to explain how it can be missed. Kindly explain to them you would like your truck towed to another dealer. Also that you would like to negotiate compensation for their incompetence.

Maxium4x4 09-12-2004 07:07 PM

If your running a business you sure do need to keep an old back-up truck just for such an occassion, and in your case FIND another dealer.......I would be wrapping my fingers around the service managers neck by now...:-X13 ...but I do not advise that tactic.:eek:

Just casually walk....well run..:-X10 ..to a good dealer.

cali1911 09-12-2004 10:44 PM

C Dogg, where you at in SoCAL? i'm in the OC try Fairway Ford in Placentia or go out to Fontana(I Think) to Sunrise. Fairway is who I use and Sunrise is supposed to be excellent if your out that way. Good Luck!!!

c dogg 09-13-2004 07:34 AM

Thanks for all the info guys, it will definatly be very useful. Also I am located in Sacremento, Ca. I will be visiting the dealer today to go over a few things with them! I'll keep you posted, thanks again.

IB Tim 09-13-2004 07:38 AM

I have a 2003 6.0 that has 15,000 mi, and up until now have had no major problems and love my truck. Recently my F 550 sprung a fuel leak while I was driving. I thought no big deal, so I took it in to have the fuel line replaced. It took a week to get the fuel line in, Now you need to understand that I am a concrete contractor and my truck is my livelyhood. I get the truck back and the next morning the same fuel leak appears. OK, I am trying to be patient and realize that people make mistakes so I have it towed to the service dept. They tell me that it is bearly leaking and would be OK to drive. When I looked under the truck while it was running diesel was pouring off the top of my transmission on to the ground! It was not OK to drive! Allright, so I get the truck delivered back to me a WEEK later! Finally I have my truck back, I get in it to go to work ,after spending an hour loading it with all my tools, and I start it up and I smell diesel, I look under it and I have a three foot around puddle of diesel on the ground! OK, NOW I AM (SNIP) I call the service dept and try to be calm, explaining the problem is back, they tow the truck back to the shop, I get a call from the shop foreman, he says that he can't find any leak. I don't know what to do next, remember this truck is my only way to earn a living, I have customers waiting for me to get there job done. Anyway, I was wondering if anybody out there has had a problem like this, any help would be great, Thanks.

Welcome to the site...READ THE GUIDELINES...this is a family site no foul language

c dogg 09-16-2004 07:42 AM

Tim, I am sorry about the foul language, I was alittle upset, thanks for letting me know. Also Minkman was right about the fuel filter O-Rings, there is a recall on the 2003 6.0, when the truck is cold the O-Rings shrink and cause them to leak, then when the truck warms up they swell up and seal the leak. The funny thing is that nobody could figure this out until I started asking about seeing the mechanics credentials. I want to thank everybody again for all the responses and info.

Maxium4x4 09-16-2004 08:51 AM

Your Welcome......Hummm....whats that leaking under your truck....:-X10

RealMenPowerstroke! 09-16-2004 05:50 PM

Tim, I am sorry about the foul language, I was alittle upset, thanks for letting me know. Also Minkman was right about the fuel filter O-Rings, there is a recall on the 2003 6.0, when the truck is cold the O-Rings shrink and cause them to leak, then when the truck warms up they swell up and seal the leak. The funny thing is that nobody could figure this out until I started asking about seeing the mechanics credentials. I want to thank everybody again for all the responses and info.

HAHAHA... PRICELESS!!! Ya see what happens when you actually have a diesel tech work on your truck. This is proof that if your dealer is taking longer than one day to diagnos, two at the most, and you have been back more than once for the same repair. More than likely they are using a gasser tech of parts changer. It happened with my buddy, and since he has started going to my dealer, his truck drives better than the day he drove it off the lot. I recommend to anyone to ask for your techs crudentials. Some dealerships post them on the wall. My dealer has all their techs certificates on the service office wall. It's nice to glance at the tech number on your invoice and look over to the wall and see they did it right.

Best of Luck,
Corey

:-X01 *Parts Changers*

RealMenPowerstroke! 09-16-2004 05:51 PM

See Tim, there is a point to my proposed sticky of good dealers and bad dealers. :-X22

Corey