Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   lost my spare tire key (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/281887-lost-my-spare-tire-key.html)

BluesManF250 09-11-2004 09:52 AM

lost my spare tire key

I lost my spare tire key that goes on the end of the jack handle and slide through the hole in the bumper. I alos don't have the code in any of my paperwork. Can the code be obtained from the door or some other place on the truck? Will I have to cut the protective sleeve from the bottom, cut the wire to drop the tire, and replace the whole thing?

RealMenPowerstroke! 09-11-2004 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by BluesManF250
I lost my spare tire key that goes on the end of the jack handle and slide through the hole in the bumper. I alos don't have the code in any of my paperwork. Can the code be obtained from the door or some other place on the truck? Will I have to cut the protective sleeve from the bottom, cut the wire to drop the tire, and replace the whole thing?

Hey Bubba,

I know that electronic key codes, key cuts, and key size can all be obtained by using OASIS at your local dealer. I would imagen these are most likely a generic key. I highly doubt each vehicle has it's own key. Either way this cut and size should also be attatched in your computer file. Just head to the dealer and I'm sure they can get it for ya.

Best of Luck,
Corey

:-X01 *Parts Changers*

Frobozz 09-11-2004 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by RealMenPowerstroke!
Hey Bubba,

I know that electronic key codes, key cuts, and key size can all be obtained by using OASIS at your local dealer. I would imagen these are most likely a generic key. I highly doubt each vehicle has it's own key. Either way this cut and size should also be attatched in your computer file. Just head to the dealer and I'm sure they can get it for ya.

I'm pretty sure that each truck does nominally have its own key (though the pool of different shapes may not really be all that large.) I sure do hope Ford can supply it by knowing your VIN though, otherwise you're in a bad way. I think the little plastic pouch mine came in had a part number on it, if the original poster still has that in his glovebox, maybe that would help?

Duncan

jetjock16 09-11-2004 04:13 PM

i lost mine too.. i was able to reach up there with vice grips and turn the thing down.. then i removed the lock.. it comes right out... and went to dealer and got new lock and key for like $40.. im keeping track of this key.. wasent too hard.. get the vice grips up over the tire..stretch.. you can do it.. i did.
JJ

jasonlasvegas 09-11-2004 05:02 PM

my ford dealer had a master set of keys and they gave me the code. Mine #288 and ordered it from mcgard.com $15.00 there are 15 or 16 different keys

BluesManF250 09-13-2004 01:39 AM

Thanks guys, I'll try the dealer(different one this time) again and hopefully get a new key. If not, I'll give the vise-grips a try!

truckerhauler 05-06-2008 10:19 PM

I had the same problem. No key in the glove box for the spare tire hoist.
So I took a zip cutter and cut one side off of the (wing nut) that holds the tire up. Then I unbolted the hoist assembly and removed it. I then took it to my local machine shop and got them to reweld the "wing nut" and weld a brace across it. Now to solve the key problem I welded a 9/16" nut to the head of the key. Now you re-assemble the hoist back into the truck. To raise and lower the tire you just use an extension, a 9/16" socket and a ratchet.
Problem solved with about an hour of time.
any questions please e-mail me at: warrendslack@shaw.ca

Power Smoker 05-06-2008 10:50 PM

It's not theft proof, but the '99 doesn't require a key. When I lost mine I went to a junk yard and got the one for the '99. That way I don't have a key to worry about.

kidoo 10-07-2008 05:45 PM

Hi, I just lowered the thing today. The tire was not there so it was very easy. You just pull on the plactic cover, it pulls out quite easy, than you pop out the key with a screwdriver. To lower it, all you need is a 3/8 socket extension, just the tip of the extension. I use a speed handle cause I do not have the jack bar, neither the jack.

julesbluesky 04-05-2010 08:11 PM

I have a 03 ranger and used my frinds Jack off his 2000 Mazda and the little key head came off the jack and is stuck in my spare lowere thingie Dealership was no help

PLEASE ADVISE! ! My coworker wants the head to his jack back ASAP and Im not made of money

julesbluesky

julesbluesky 04-05-2010 08:13 PM

help get key off jack head out of my spare lower device!!!!!

Originally Posted by kidoo (Post 6624766)
Hi, I just lowered the thing today. The tire was not there so it was very easy. You just pull on the plactic cover, it pulls out quite easy, than you pop out the key with a screwdriver. To lower it, all you need is a 3/8 socket extension, just the tip of the extension. I use a speed handle cause I do not have the jack bar, neither the jack.

is this what I need to do to get it out?

JockD 04-05-2010 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by julesbluesky (Post 8732295)
is this what I need to do to get it out?

Yes.

If you twist on the tube while pulling out, it comes out quite easily.

julesbluesky 04-06-2010 06:28 PM

Im on mcgard.com and cant tell which product that would be the little thingie thats stuck in there (that used to be on the jack) Sorry to be inept

julesbluesky 04-06-2010 06:52 PM

never mind McGard They dont carry the 00 key Any other retailer suggestions?

kpmalone 04-06-2010 08:51 PM

I would just take the key out.. I did.. If someone wants your spare tire, they are gonna get it.. We live in a world where if some one wants something bad enough they are gonna do anything to get it (includes tearing your stuff up).

julesbluesky 04-09-2010 08:01 PM

still cant get to it ..theres a circular casing around it bit its too hard to get to the big round plate the wheel fits against is in the way and the only other way in is through the little hoel aaagggghhhh!

MC9 04-09-2010 11:23 PM

There are only 16 "codes" or keys. Look in the tube and you will be able to see the configuration and borrow one from a friend. Then after the tire is lowered screwdriver the tube off and screwdriver the key off and pitch it. The square end of the jack extensions will fit from then on. That is what I did.

bhiveranch 01-16-2012 02:17 PM

you don't need it. Take the tire down with a long extension and a stripped socket remover and when down take out the 2 bolts holding the tire winch in place and lift it out, When out take a large screwdriver and just work the insert key out of the stock hole it is set in. This is the original designed rectangle hole and the tire tool works in it without the key thing they gave you. Ford does not drill it out they only remove this and you can do it in about 10 minutes total work time. The black tube is only a slip on and it snaps over 2 clips just wiggle it side to side and pull backwards and it will come right off without damage and then unbolt it and take out the insert. Simple I promise.

meierf250ford 04-22-2012 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by BluesManF250 (Post 1932111)

Lost key and lock removal procedure. (2004 F250 Super Duty)

1) Place a 1/2" drive 14mm 12pt socket on the closed end of the jack extension used for lowering the spare.
2) Place a 1/2 drive 13mm socket on the other end of the extension so that you can use a your 1/2" drive ratchet to lower the spare instead of the clumsy factory lug nut wrench .
3) pop out the plastic bezel that's in the hole in the bumper to allow the 14mm socket to pass thru.
4) thread the 14mm socket on the extension thru the hole and feed it over the factory lock body. Press in firmly so it grips the lock body and lower the spare using the ratchet on the other end of the extension.
5) Withdraw the jack extension from the hole after the spare is lowered. (the socket will be firmly attached around the lock body and will remain there to be removed after the next step.
6) Crawl under the truck from the drivers side and using a screw driver pry the lock body away from the winch assembly with the socket still attached. the socket can be separated from the lock after it is removed.

At this point you can replace the lock with a new one or just leave it off and use the original jack extension as it was intended.

Parts Jimmy 04-22-2012 09:56 AM

Take it out and NEVER put it back. Nothing is more dangerous than having to change a tire on a busy interstate. :-hair Fumbling with a stupid key just prolongs the possibility of someone getting hurt or killed. THROUGH THE LOCK AWAY. :-arrgh If your spare gets stolen than call your insurance company and make the claim. Rarely do spares get stolen. :-X0A6

Tylus 04-22-2012 12:09 PM

very nice 8 yr old thread revival :-X04

Originally Posted by Parts Jimmy (Post 11741985)
Take it out and NEVER put it back. Nothing is more dangerous than having to change a tire on a busy interstate. :-hair Fumbling with a stupid key just prolongs the possibility of someone getting hurt or killed. THROUGH THE LOCK AWAY. :-arrgh If your spare gets stolen than call your insurance company and make the claim. Rarely do spares get stolen. :-X0A6

too true. besides, the spare is a steel rim and typically is dry-rotted. get that sucker out of there and inspect her.

I should pull mine off the truck anyways. Mine has huge sidewall cracks from being under there for 6yrs and won't work with my 35's

sand_fiend 04-22-2012 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by meierf250ford (Post 11741020)
Lost key and lock removal procedure. (2004 F250 Super Duty)

1) Place a 1/2" drive 14mm 12pt socket on the closed end of the jack extension used for lowering the spare.
2) Place a 1/2 drive 13mm socket on the other end of the extension so that you can use a your 1/2" drive ratchet to lower the spare instead of the clumsy factory lug nut wrench .
3) pop out the plastic bezel that's in the hole in the bumper to allow the 14mm socket to pass thru.
4) thread the 14mm socket on the extension thru the hole and feed it over the factory lock body. Press in firmly so it grips the lock body and lower the spare using the ratchet on the other end of the extension.
5) Withdraw the jack extension from the hole after the spare is lowered. (the socket will be firmly attached around the lock body and will remain there to be removed after the next step.
6) Crawl under the truck from the drivers side and using a screw driver pry the lock body away from the winch assembly with the socket still attached. the socket can be separated from the lock after it is removed.

At this point you can replace the lock with a new one or just leave it off and use the original jack extension as it was intended.

This is almost exactly how i got my spare down. I used a 12 point 14mm deep socket on a 24" 3/8 extension. Took a hammer and tapped the socket over the lock. used the ratchet to lower it. moved the plastic liner to one the side and used a large screwdriver and tapped with a hammer and popped the lock off. Then jacked the tire back up.. It only took me about 10 minutes max.

st8yd 05-12-2013 07:53 PM

Well all these nifty tricks ain't work'n on mine. Tomorrow I shall go to town and get a metal cutting saws-all blade!

st8yd 05-15-2013 11:49 AM

Just a little fyi for the next guy.
I was going to cut the edge of the spare tire holder as close as I could to the rim, and weld it back on once it was out.
But I read on another forum, to let all the air out and jack the rim up tight to the frame. This allows you to save more of the flange by sliding it over at an angle as if you were trying to get it out, and only cut what you have to off app 3/4".
By doing this the flange will still work when you put it back and if you want weld it back, I didn't.

condition001 08-06-2015 10:43 AM

So yes, I'm aware I'm bringing back an old thread, with a first post even. These pictures would have made it helpful for me when removing my spare tire key using the procedure above with the 14mm 12-point socket. I had to tap the socket in with a hammer a couple times while loosening the winch to release the spring tension. After that, I used a flathead screwdriver to gently pop the tabs off of the plastic tube, then the same flathead to pry this little bugger in the pictures out. If you look closely, you can see the thin metal captive washer that acts as a retainer and holds the assembly in. Just a simple press-fit. Total time for me was about 20 minutes, including a few faces full of road dust (safety glasses would have been a good idea!)

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...d497d39d58.jpg

It's a pretty tiny fella

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...dc1ecdc637.jpg

You can see the captive retaining ring right under the copper-colored piece.

V10man 08-09-2015 06:16 PM

I made my own tool to remove the tire and lock. Welded a socket to a piece of rebar and a 3/4" nut on the other end and hammered it onto the lock. Lowered the tire. When I went to pull my homemade tool out the lock came with it. I ground off the head on the lock to remove the spring washer and now I have a tool to remove my spare.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps7e728279.jpg