Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ford vs The Competition (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum17/)
-   -   Real World Comparison: Ford/Dodge (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/277491-real-world-comparison-ford-dodge.html)

snort 08-30-2004 10:44 PM

Real World Comparison: Ford/Dodge

The test:

24 foot trailer, 7000lbs with two motorcycles in it.

Gulf Coast to Sturgis, SD

I did this to determine what I should supplement my PSD EX with an F250 Crew or Dodge Ram 3500 Quad. The 6.0 PSD was not a consideration for me.

F250 7.3 PSD (stock): 75 mph, 8.7 mpg, constantly shifiting into low gear on the slightest incline, 80 mph slightly better, max speed out of overdrive 65 mph on 3.7 mile incline of 4 degrees.

Dodge Ram: 80mph, 12.4 mpg, steady power and speed on same hill, no need to leave overdrive except once in the black hills. Ride was wrose than F250 but stability was better.

For what it's worth. Used 7.3 are getting pretty ridiculous--Picked up a new quad 3500 dually for less than most used 7.3 PSD's around my neck of the woods are going for. Decision based strictly on experience above.

Sorry to defect but I dont have any faith in the 6.0--I still have the EX so can I still hang around :)

DMAX-HD 08-31-2004 12:19 PM

There is no comparison between the 7.3 and 6.0. If your gonna be 'hwy-haulen' you'll be selling yourself short if you don't investigate a 6.0 PSD or Duramax - that's what those motors are designed. The cummins great low-end puller but not quite as capable at speed as the other 2.

Flash 08-31-2004 02:18 PM

At work, we have a 04 F-250, 6.0, auto, 4x4, Supercrew with shortbed. We also have a 04 Dodge 2500, 5.9 Cummins, auto, Quadcab, shortbed. The Dodge is the newer truck and the guys fight over who gets to drive the Dodge. The Ford rides better, has more power in the higher RPMs, but is noisy, clumsy, the interior is dated, and typical Ford, the A/C is marginal at best. The Dodge has a sharpness to its ride, seems to lose power over 2500 RPMs, but is quieter, easier to get into places, and for here-the A/C is great. The Ford has been back for ,I think, three different sets of injectors, and who knows how many computer reflashes. It has an uncertain idle at times and drinks fuel as compared to the Cummins. The Dodge is still new and I have driven it once. There is a slight vibration to the entire truck at idle and most likely rattles will occur because of this vibration. We don't see many of the 6.0 in the medium truck class but the Cummins is common place in this arena. Which is best? Drive them both, only you can determine which one is best for your needs.

As for the 7.3, a very reliable engine but it uses far too much fuel for the output. Probably the best diesel engine Ford has ever had with their name on it.

DieselDonor7.3 08-31-2004 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by DMAX-HD
There is no comparison between the 7.3 and 6.0. If your gonna be 'hwy-haulen' you'll be selling yourself short if you don't investigate a 6.0 PSD or Duramax - that's what those motors are designed. The cummins great low-end puller but not quite as capable at speed as the other 2.

Beautifully said. I am skeptical about the 6.0 much how you are snort, but apparently unnecessarily. Alot of people swear by it now and since it is derived from the proven reliable 7.3 I doubt there is much to worry about. There are alot of satisfied 6.0 owners out there. There was that slight complication with the gas leaking into the oil on the first batch of 03's but the 04's have quelled all of that controversy. It looks like all problems are fixed now and its good to go. The 6.0 PSD will most likely shift more than the Cummins but will ultimately get you up the hills, and to your destination faster.

pegglegg31 08-31-2004 06:56 PM

your so right snort ihave a 6.0 3500 drw and a 04.5 cummins 3500 both 6spd 373 gears i know you spoke of the 7.3 but with my test it is about the same with the new truck i love both my trucks ihaul about 16000 to 17000 pounds cattle and i have found with the 6 spd not the automatic my dodge will pull a grade easier and get better fuel mileage cant speak of the auto dont know standard is the only thing would use but my friend has a torque shift transmission and it is sweet me personally i think the dodge rides better but my ford has so much more room in the back big plus for me and my kids both great trucks

Marine Ironman 08-31-2004 09:08 PM

I own a 2004 6.0L PSD. I own a 1997 5.9L Cummins. Guess which one spanks the other? Like the TruckTrend article shows .... the Cummins loses in all aspects, speed, towing, acceleration, everything.

My PSD MPG around town to/from work in urban traffic: currently 15.8 MPG. My last trip out-of-state to Raleigh, NC: 21.0 mpg.

My PSD A/C: freezes me out. I have to keep it turned all the way down to the first dot.

My PSD interior: two-tone Eddie Bauer leather, wood-grain panels, seat-heaters, seat-memory w/ the key-fob, plush carpet, and the seat is adjustable to a nice high sitting position, with a better view than my Cummins. I CANNOT HEAR THE DIESEL ENGINE when cruising down the highway, and my favorite CD's are Mozart. All the subtle tones in Mozart's "The Magic Flute" can be heard, down to the last violin. The PSD has a sharpness to it's ride.

My Dodge/Cummins 2500 HD: Transmission "Pops" and lugs unexpectedly about once/week. Seat is lower relative to the windshield. No little cut-out for the smaller tow-mirrors. I had to have the power steering completely replaced at 90K miles. My tires don't stay aligned, and am on my 3rd set at 100K miles. I have to talk real loud to passengers when cruising down the highway, the engine is so loud. It shakes more. It has substantially less power and much less acceleration. The interior is "dated" and the truck is noisy and clumsy.

FLASH: You need to be flashed in my opinion.

snort 09-02-2004 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Marine Ironman
My Dodge/Cummins 2500 HD: Transmission "Pops" and lugs unexpectedly about once/week. Seat is lower relative to the windshield. No little cut-out for the smaller tow-mirrors. I had to have the power steering completely replaced at 90K miles. My tires don't stay aligned, and am on my 3rd set at 100K miles. I have to talk real loud to passengers when cruising down the highway, the engine is so loud. It shakes more. It has substantially less power and much less acceleration. The interior is "dated" and the truck is noisy and clumsy.

FLASH: You need to be flashed in my opinion.

My test Dodge was a 2004 3500 HO Diesel (the new engine) with the new 48RE transmission. My 7.3 PSD is at least twice as loud as the new Dodge at idle and somewhat more noisy at cruise.

Having driven many miles in a 99 Dodge 2500 Cummins, I have to say there is a substantial difference betweeen that vehicle and the new one.

I wanted a Ford but my faith in the 6.0 is just not there.

FordLariat 09-02-2004 02:30 AM

I didn't think the Cummins HO was the new engine, I thought the new engine was the 600.

Logical Heritic 09-02-2004 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by Marine Ironman
I own a 2004 6.0L PSD. I own a 1997 5.9L Cummins. Guess which one spanks the other? Like the TruckTrend article shows .... the Cummins loses in all aspects, speed, towing, acceleration, everything.

Are you still comparing a 180hp truck that is 9 years old to a 325hp modern marvel. x( To me thats like trying to compare acceleration and handling between a porche and a yugo. Im sure you paid a pretty penny more for your PSD.
My 190hp truck is faster than my 15 year old 60hp car. You dont hear me braggin bout it.

I didn't think the Cummins HO was the new engine, I thought the new engine was the 600.
Your are somewhat right. I went down and test drove one. They dont make standard outputs anymore. They are all high output. So if they are all ho. Can you still call it ho. More like only output.

DieselDonor7.3 09-02-2004 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by Logical Heritic
Your are somewhat right. I went down and test drove one. They dont make standard outputs anymore. They are all high output. So if they are all ho. Can you still call it ho. More like only output.

What about those ol Taurus SHO cars huh *nudge nudge. I know its not a truck but maybe they will make a SUCWLSTB out of it. That stands for sport utility car with lame small tiny bed. I don't think they make the SHO's anymore but maybe they can bring that back the same time they make the taurus "truck". Sort of like an El Camaro type of thing. Something to think about ;-).

jroehl 09-02-2004 07:28 AM

HO was just a designation for the 325/600 while they phased it in and the 305/555 out. So they sold both for a couple years.

Jason

tsc 09-02-2004 01:34 PM

Truckin magazine (Nov '04) issue has a "Heavy duty truck shootout", where they compared a Sierra, Ram 2500 and a F-250 Harley (6.0). All were diesels and 3/4 ton.
Here is a quick set of results of the test. p.s. the 250 won :)

without trailer

Acceleration 0-60(sec)/quarter mile/ braking (60-0)

Ram 8.85 / 16.80@80.58mph / 138.6ft
F-250 8.95 / 16.83@82.81mph / 150.90ft
Sierra 8.99 / 16.93@81.34mph / 154.37ft

with a 30 ft trailer (5 000 lbs)
Acceleration (0-60)/quarter mile/braking(30-0)

Ram 16.98 / 20.38@64.92mph / 56.37 ft
F-250 15.05 / 19.83@66.71mph / 57.68 ft
Sierra 18.42 / 21.56@66.53mph / 56.80 ft

pegglegg31 09-17-2004 08:05 PM

but with the 6spd it is a different story

Frost13 09-17-2004 10:58 PM

Are you still comparing a 180hp truck that is 9 years old to a 325hp modern marvel. x( To me thats like trying to compare acceleration and handling between a porche and a yugo. Im sure you paid a pretty penny more for your PSD.
My 190hp truck is faster than my 15 year old 60hp car. You dont hear me braggin bout it.

Well, that's what the guy that started this thread, snort, was doing.
And by the way, the dodge has 215 H.P.

FordLariat 09-18-2004 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by pegglegg31
your so right snort ihave a 6.0 3500 drw and a 04.5 cummins 3500

You have a Chevy and a Dodge? Ford doesn't make a 3500.