Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ford vs The Competition (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum17/)
-   -   Real world pull results (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/272833-real-world-pull-results.html)

DMAX-HD 08-18-2004 01:05 PM

Real world pull results

http://www.thedieselpage.com/features/pulloff04.htm

IB Tim 08-18-2004 02:46 PM

You have got to be kidding me, that is not real world.....everyone of them is highly modified.....where is the stock challenge.

Real world buy it off the show room floor, stock and run the same test.

DMAX-HD 08-18-2004 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Tim Lamkin
You have got to be kidding me, that is not real world.....everyone of them is highly modified.....where is the stock challenge.

Real world buy it off the show room floor, stock and run the same test.

That is the real world.
More more people beefing up their rigs
I thought the 6.0 did very well. It had the juice/attitude set to 0 (even that isn't stock - but close enough) for a stock run. Was suprised at the under-performance of the Dodge.

IB Tim 08-18-2004 02:56 PM

I will politely disagree....there are roughly 250/350k or so 6.0s out there, maybe more. Bottom line....if there is 30k worth of tuners in them I would be amazed...

I do agree on the Dodge statement...

AG4.0 08-18-2004 04:23 PM

Interesting competition. It looks like the 6.0 put out the best stock time with the D-Max not far behind, although it states the PSD was run later in the day with a headwind, which would explain it's slightly lower speed. It seems that all the Big 3 Diesels are fairly well matched against each other, with the Cummins having more grunt down low, and the PSD and DMAX being better highway pullers. I agree though that it isn't very real world, but a good article still.

309Ford 08-18-2004 07:54 PM

Question:

Rather than what is essentially a drag race up a mountain, which isn't very "real world", has anyone seen a test wherein a diesel equipped rig had to haul a load up a hill while MAINTAINING speed? Which one did best without having to downshift? Stock as well as modified? That's how people really tow-you're rolling along already, and are circuiting a big hill with a heavy load, hoping you won't cause a traffic jam behind you because your rig is slowing down a bunch. A motor that shifts less frequently under load is more desirable. The Ford would probably have an advantage after the downshift if it has a few hundred more useable rpm's, but how do the diesels do pulling in the gears they are already in? In comparably equipped trucks, of course.

Has anyone seen a test like that? Could you post it please?

johnsdiesel 08-18-2004 11:48 PM

I agree with Tim. The great majority of truck owners run them stock right down to the air filter. "Real world" is not modified trucks, and the PSD can certainly take more modifications since they don't have aluminum heads made out of recycled Pepsi cans.

Marine Ironman 08-19-2004 12:17 AM

More Proof

Just more proof that the 6.0L PSD is the best stock engine

King Ranch 08-19-2004 05:47 AM

It did say the 6.0 had the quickest stock time

DMAX-HD 08-19-2004 08:10 AM

JohnsDiesel -
See now there you go stirring the pot. Besides there Coke cans.
But the truth is the most modified truck there was a Duramax. The guy that has the record for the contest lives about 20 miles from here. I dyno at the same place he used to before he got his own dyno and he got some crazy numbers. It looks like he did the tuning for the truck that took it this year also. Neither one of them to date has had head related issues. In the disscussion group where this article was posted I remember last year somebody asked JK about EGT's for the run and I think he said it was like 1700+ for a short period of time.

Marine Ironman -
That's a great OPINION.

King Ranch -
Very true. With the Dmax(which was the only true stock truck there) having highest speed. So does that mean the Dmax would have passed the 6.0?

Tim -
How many people on your 6.0 board are modded or slightly modded? 1/3? 1/2? more. And how many come looking for opinions on boxes? More and more people that own diesel (PSD's and Dmax's especially) are realizing they can maximize their $40,000 investment for a little more then $300 (hypertech box). Also that Dodge did look sharp ....

309FORD -
That is a good idea for a test. I really can't speak for stock trucks but I can tell you I haven't found an Interstate hwy grade in WI, ILL, MN. That has taken the truck out of OD pulling 10,000#. Now when we got SW of St Louis when going to Branson on I44 also in the Rockys (of course) there were a couple but again most grade it held the gear. I've got a budy with a similiarly equiped 6.0 and he'd prolly tell you about the same thing. Your talking whole states with no downshifting because of grade. Even if they (Dmax or PSD) did downsift I seriously don't think you'd hold up traffic. The V-diesels are made for interstate pulling and they are great at it.

.................................................. ....................
I will say this. The article was a little skewed in the Dmax's favor. But is it really any differant then Ford inviting press to THEIR proving grounds and boosting the best truck. At the bottom of the page they did say the Chevy was the best puller. I don't know after reading the article I'd have drawn the same conclusion. The Ford also did very well and was very capable - thought it was more of a draw between the two. My favorite truck in the compitetion was the 7.3 litre with the pro injectors - nice.

P.S.
Also wanted to bring up these points about the Dmax:

1) The heads didn't melt
2) The IFS looked more like this |-| then this /-\
3) The frame didn't buckle under the pressure
4) The Dmax that took the contest was heavily modded.
5) There weren't a whole bunch of Asian folks there cheering the Dmax on.
6) If your gonna use performace as a messue of quality - the proof is in the pudding.

Had to add those points. They have all been reasons I've heard not to get a Duramax equiped Chevy since I've been around this site.

IB Tim 08-19-2004 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by DMAX-HD
JohnsDiesel -
Tim -
How many people on your 6.0 board are modded or slightly modded? 1/3? 1/2? more. And how many come looking for opinions on boxes? More and more people that own diesel (PSD's and Dmax's especially) are realizing they can maximize their $40,000 investment for a little more then $300 (hypertech box). Also that Dodge did look sharp ....

Many come asking, as for how many 1/10 where do you get the idea that 150 thousand trucks have tuners....come on,remember we taked about 250/350 sold. Call SC call Diablo bet they wished they had sold that many.
Why are you so stuck on this..what is your motive, and yes YOU always have one.

You cannot draw ANY conclusion form this article, it is a bunch of guys that had a drag race up a hill with highly modified trucks and that is all…IMO not worth the bandwidth. it is NOT real world. MOST if not all just trying to sell their product.

But is it really any differant then Ford inviting press to THEIR proving grounds and boosting the best truck. :-huh

YES you are on a FORD stie

FTE Ken 08-19-2004 09:54 AM

Tim,

Hate to disagree with you, but each year we sell a couple thousand diesel tuners, with the number going up every year (just wish it was all profit! :-) ). And we're just a small fish in a big pond. I think 150,000 may be a reasonable number of tuned/fuel boxed 6.0s. Its a huge market.

The Ford trucks I've driven (proving grounds and elsewhere) at Ford's invites drove with the same power as the one's off the showroom floor. Ford didn't boost them up. :)

IB Tim 08-19-2004 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by webmaster
Tim,

Hate to disagree with you, but each year we sell a couple thousand diesel tuners, with the number going up every year (just wish it was all profit! :-) ). And we're just a small fish in a big pond. I think 150,000 may be a reasonable number of tuned/fuel boxed 6.0s. Its a huge market.

I stand corrected, amazed, and more knowledgeable.
DMAX your off the hook.....

That crow sure does taste like chicken ;)

King Ranch 08-19-2004 11:42 AM

Hey D-Max my cousins truck does the same thing that the duramax in the article does. That is that when his clutch fan kicks on it robs him of power, does it happen with your truck?He only really notices it on the highway.

DMAX-HD 08-19-2004 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by King Ranch
Hey D-Max my cousins truck does the same thing that the duramax in the article does. That is that when his clutch fan kicks on it robs him of power, does it happen with your truck?He only really notices it on the highway.

I really don't notice it. I'm sure there is some kind'a loss but it's nothing that's taken the truck out of OD.