Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ranchero & 1961 - 1967 Econoline (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum43/)
-   -   1977 Ranchero Wireing/Gagues (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/269435-1977-ranchero-wireing-gagues.html)

Mysticle31 08-08-2004 08:19 PM

1977 Ranchero Wireing/Gagues

I've got a 1977 Ford Rannchero. And the wireing is shot. I'd imagine I could just replace the fuse box and make it work. But I lose interior lights/gagues all the time. Does anyone make a wireing kit for the car? Or a close kit for another car that I can adapt?

I'm also wondering what other style gagues I can 99.95% bolt in the car? I'd like to lose the 85mph speedo. Mabey a different older style.

Sanddoc 08-09-2004 10:20 PM

gauges

be very carefull if you decide to remove the dash from the
Ranchero or any of the late 70's Fords...
The Plastic is very poor now.. and crumbles easly..
You'll need to remove the dash top, to get to some of the
screws behind...
Take a walk thru you local wreaking yard and find a
Dash from the same year car as yours.. The Ranchero were
built on the LTD II frame from about 1975or 76
People talk about nasty wiring they have seen on cars..
should have seen the wiring I saw on a 77 Ranchero in the wreaking
yard the other day.. The owner had made a tilt front out of it..
the hood did not meet the grill at all... and his use of wiring was
a nightmare.. all those single connections bundled together..
anyway just take care with those dashes..
best

Mysticle31 08-09-2004 11:02 PM

I've seen pictures of 74 Elites that have very similer, if not the same, dash and instermunt cluster..

I've been wondering about my gauge options for the car as well. I'd like to get rid of the 85mph speedo. Mabey a little 'cooler' gauges?

I'm not into pulling the dash. The under dash stuff is broken, and leaks heater air. How can I fix that? I'd also like to dynamat extreme (have yards of it) as much of the interior as I can.

Sanddoc 08-11-2004 08:00 AM

there's alot of vacuum hoses and electric switches under the dash, that
control the heater\air conditioner... the vacuum controls are still available
new, from auto parts stores like NAPA, AutoZone etc: same for hoses...
some times its just a matter of the hose being off or the cable connection
being off.. just have to get under the dash and start the check....
If you have a friend that can help you.. he can move the heater\air
controls and you can watch for what is moving and what is not moving...
Best
Dave

krehmkej 08-11-2004 10:51 PM

Been there, done that. Amen to the other posts. There are two dash types on these Rancheros, the GT type with gauges "tunneled" into it, and the other "flat" style. I could never find gauges similar in size to the holes in my GT dash, plus, the way the dash is built, no standard gauge would fit, anyhow. I ditched the whole works and found a T-Bird cluster fascia that was flat. It had 3 or 4 huge round gauge holes in it. I made a pattern for standard gauges, then cut a new fascia from .050 aluminum. Fitted in VDO white-face gauges, and covered hte fascia with faux carbon fibre. Had to make w new harness, but it all came out much tidier than stock.

-jwk-

Dallas, OR
'78 GT

Mysticle31 08-12-2004 07:00 PM

really..sounds fun.

I was just thinking, I like how my GT dash is laied out. It looks muscule-ish. no need to add more gauges. Looks like they used this dash in LOTS of 70's mercs, fords.

I was hoping that early torino gauges or Elite gagues or something that goes higher then 85 would go in.

What other dashes bolt in the car? I'd like to get a center console and floor shifter that looks like it belongs with the stock ranchero dash, or see if I can put another in. Any ideas?

Mysticle31 08-12-2004 07:02 PM

kreh... do you have any pictures of your install? I'd like to check it out.

I do not like the woodgrain facias. I have the more 'brushed alumium' style. I'd like to keep it. I hate woodgrain..

krehmkej 08-17-2004 10:54 PM

Ranchero Dash Image

OK, finally figured how to get an image online. Sorry for the delay. See:
http://www.hverovhe.com/dash.jpg

I still have the lower radio area to re-do. Will add a modern CD deck when I have the time and build a new fascia to match the instrument panel.

-jwk-

Mysticle31 08-18-2004 02:15 PM

Nice! Clean look.

I'm curious how you install the radio in these cars? Do they make adaptor plates or a plate if I cut out the old radio spot? The old radio seems wider and fatter then the new "standard"

krehmkej 08-18-2004 10:55 PM

Ranchero Radio (Was Dash)

When I bought this car about 1992, there was a junk aftermarket cassette in it. At that time, the closest fit was the shafted Blaupunkt unit you see in the image. It has a pretty small nose and the faceplate that comes with it covers most of the stock hole. I want a CD, and plan to modify the dash to fit one in. I want one that has a blank faceplate when switched off. I will have to fabricate a "DIN box" into the dash to accomodate this.

ranchero77 08-20-2004 09:17 AM

I have to say its not easy giving up the GT dash for a custom made one. the stock one looks so good but as sanddoc stated these things are so brittle. eventually all the light sockets and areas around them crumble away from the years of heat. the shape of the gauge bezels make it hard to find a quick replacement.

jwk is on the right track with aluminum. very easy to work with. I started with the brushed look in my GT but it was just to much bling bling in my face so I powder coated it black and put a silver pin stripe aroud it to set off the sport and pro comp gauges.

but before you go that route label all the wires from the harness to the old gauge cluster. such as fuel sender wires, turn signals and such. you maybe able to find a diagram on here which would be even better.

I definately also want to get a good looking center console to use bucket seats and move shifter on the floor. I allready have my eyes on a decent set of grey mid 80's mustang seats. I wonder how that center console would work?

Mysticle31 08-21-2004 04:12 PM

poof, beats me. I didn't think these style cars had center consoles, because of that ashtray right there.

I've recently began wondering about putting buckets (I've got some Recaros from my old Jetta) in a car with bench seat. If they have the mounts for it.

I was surprised, I like the dash that’s in these cars. All the gauges right there, looks good. Although it seems hard to find colors that they look good in. Can I see pictures of yours?
Burgundy (as much as I hate the color) good
Bache (SP?) like off brown, or brown/grey? good
Black I don’t know it seems odd haven’t seen enough

What style center plastic things do they have. I know there’s solid back, wood grain, and a funny metal style one?

krehmkej 08-21-2004 05:14 PM

Ranchero interior mods.

There are interior options for these cars. Of course they share a common platform with contemporary Thunderbirds, Cougars, and LTDIIs. A few T-Birds and Cougars came out with buckets and floor shift/console. I kept my eyes out for one that was available to no avail. Finally went down to the junkyard looking. Found a pair of black leather buckets in a '93(?) Cougar XR7. Had the local upholstery guy replace the fabric inserts and do the door panels in the same fabric. Picked a gray that would compliment the carbon fiber dash treatment. The hard part was building mounts. That was quite a welding project. Now I have power seats with power lumbar support, too. Also found a console from an early Explorer that fits pretty well after I made a mounting bracket for it.

See: http://www.hverovhe.com/interior.jpg

Mysticle31 08-26-2004 11:43 PM

I'm curious what year cars should I look for to get the 120 MPH style speedo for thse cars? (and what year did the "85 mph speedo" law come out?)

ranchero77 08-27-2004 08:13 AM

I don't know when that started, mid 70's I would guess. but the law was lifted in 84.