Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Illinois Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum122/)
-   -   77-79 Free-wheeling truck (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/266053-77-79-free-wheeling-truck.html)

JohnT 07-29-2004 08:00 PM

77-79 Free-wheeling truck

Does anybody in IL have a 1977-1979 Ford pickup with the Free-wheeling package that they would be willing to sell? Free-wheeling trucks were the ones with the multi-colored "rainbow" stripes down the sides. I think these trucks are very cool! I've been looking for one and haven't had much luck. I am looking for one that is in excellent condition with very little or no rust.

JohnT 08-21-2004 07:43 PM

1980-84 Ford trucks?

I guess there aren't any 77-79 Free-wheeling trucks out there. Does anybody have a 1980-84 Ford truck that's in excellent shape with no rust?? I am looking for one, preferably either a 2wd F150 longbed with 2-tone paint or a 2wd F100/F150 flareside. I used to have a really nice 83 F150, but the engine went bad and I decided to trade it away. I regret that now because early 80s Fords with no rust are SO hard to find.

C Mionske/Cook 08-21-2004 09:39 PM

Sorry John. My 92 Flareside is not for sale. No rust what so ever. But you know that right.

JohnT 08-22-2004 08:51 PM

Actually, I'm looking for something older than a 92, but I wouldn't pass up on a nice early 90s Ford if I found one for sale. They are nice trucks, I really like my 95 F150. I did call on a 96 F150 XL sport shortbed that I found in the Truck Trader last week, but it had some rust on it so I had to pass on that one.

C Mionske/Cook 08-24-2004 08:23 PM

Have you tried looking at Autotrader.com? You could probably find a fairly decent one for the money in the Arizona area. There were a lot of them there.......I used to see them all the time..Have you looked at the public auto auctions? You'd be surprised what you'll find there. But, a suggestion. Don't buy anything on the first trip......
Good luck....

JohnT 08-26-2004 03:41 PM

I've looked on the Auto Trader site called Collector Car Trader Online, and I've found tons of nice trucks that I'd like to have, but like you said, they are all located out west, Arizona, New Mexico,etc. I don't think I'm desperate enough for another truck to go that far to buy one. The owner of the body shop that does my restoration work goes to AZ and brings back rust-free truck parts, and he told me that it takes about 2 days to get there. That's not too bad, but I think I'll just stick to looking for something around here for now. I also talked to a guy who's involved with the public auto auctions in Denver,CO, and he told me that they get alot of nice older vehicles. That would be an option, but again, that's really far away,too. I don't really need another truck right now, anyways. I should probably just concentrate on getting the restoration finished on my 73.

C Mionske/Cook 08-28-2004 09:47 PM

Well, If all goes well I will be going to Az for a visit around sometime next Feb. If you do find something out there, I could change my plans and drive back instead of flying. Just a thought. ha ha ha ha....Then again, I know some car haulers that might do me a favor....I work for Manheim's. Yes, in AZ they see a lot of vehicles come through. I've seen some beauts. For the most part, it's a dealers only auction. I have yet to see any of they older fords go through the auction here in Bolingbrook. But, in this upcoming September, they will be having a special auction that will be open to the public. Honestly, I don't think you'll find anything along the lines of what you're looking for. As soon as I know what day it's on, I can let you know.

95F250NUT 08-28-2004 10:11 PM

Why dont you keep your eyes open for town auctions (villages). Du Page Forest Preserve on St Charles rd in Glen Ellyn just had their auction and sold 2 - 4x4 Fords very cheap. The city - park dist - villages - County - Fire dept - State all have auctions and most of their trucks have less then 30,000 miles on them and many of them are pretty old and in very good shape body wise. You just may need to have it painted and you can have your Rainbow paintjob applied. I have seen many of these trucks sell between $300.00 - $2000.00 - GOOD LUCK - Tim8D

JohnT 08-29-2004 05:23 PM

Carol- Is Manheim's the auto auction place in Bolingbrook? A few years ago they used to have automotive swap meets at the auto auction building, but I think it was owned by someone else back then. I remember going there for a swap meet about 7 years ago, and I saw a 78 Ford flareside in with the auction vehicles. My brother and I tried to go out and look at it, but a security guard yelled at us. I guess we weren't supposed to be out by the auction cars. Please let me know when that auction is in September that will be open to the public, I'd like to check it out.

JohnT 08-29-2004 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by 95F250NUT
Why dont you keep your eyes open for town auctions (villages). Du Page Forest Preserve on St Charles rd in Glen Ellyn just had their auction and sold 2 - 4x4 Fords very cheap. The city - park dist - villages - County - Fire dept - State all have auctions and most of their trucks have less then 30,000 miles on them and many of them are pretty old and in very good shape body wise. You just may need to have it painted and you can have your Rainbow paintjob applied. I have seen many of these trucks sell between $300.00 - $2000.00 - GOOD LUCK - Tim8D

Tim- Please let me know if you hear of any more of these town auctions in which they will be auctioning off older Ford trucks. Thanks--John.

C Mionske/Cook 08-31-2004 08:16 PM

Arena Auto Auction on Old Chicago rd. Right off of Illinois 53. If that is where you're talkin' about. I'll get the date of the next open sale for you.

95F250NUT 08-31-2004 09:24 PM

John i will be happy to check around for you - my job is a commercial garage door serviceman and im all over the chicagoland area daily including all the suburbs. I will let you know if i come across something.:-X22

mpcrewcab 09-12-2004 09:51 PM

Last spring I think it was at the local car swap meet in Jefferson there was a free wheeling truck for around 10,000 all original and in great condition. There was also one for sale recently just south of here. I will keep my eyes open and then also see if in a few weeks if at the fall Jefferson that truck is back in the car corral area. There are 2-3 of these trucks in a local junkyard, although they are fairly gone and over the years have been pretty well picked over for any of the parts for just them. I will let you know if I come across anything. I take it you are looking for something to do little fixing up body or mechanical?

Mike

JohnT 09-16-2004 06:13 PM

Mike--Thanks for the info. That Free-wheeling truck that you saw in the car corral at Jefferson sounds really cool! If I were ever to buy a Free-wheeling truck, I'd want one that was in nearly perfect condition as far as the body(No rust, dents,etc.), and the paint would have to be nice and shiny. Mechanically I wouldn't really care how it was, as long as it runs and drives. I think these trucks are very cool, let me know if you see any more of them.--John

scarey1 12-18-2010 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by JohnT (Post 1874463)
I guess there aren't any 77-79 Free-wheeling trucks out there. Does anybody have a 1980-84 Ford truck that's in excellent shape with no rust?? I am looking for one, preferably either a 2wd F150 longbed with 2-tone paint or a 2wd F100/F150 flareside. I used to have a really nice 83 F150, but the engine went bad and I decided to trade it away. I regret that now because early 80s Fords with no rust are SO hard to find.

I have a super clean 1977 f150,orange,351M,auto,factory 5 slot wheels,stripes,push bar,black out grill,and bumper,71k miles,NO RUST!. But............its in Ca. 510-697-2515