Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum32/)
-   -   1995 Explorer XLT with stalling problem (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/26588-1995-explorer-xlt-with-stalling-problem.html)

sdamman 08-16-2001 10:26 AM

1995 Explorer XLT with stalling problem

I was wondering if anyone was having problems with their trucks stalling? I have had this problem intermittedly for the past 2 years. I have replaced the fuel filter and the cam sensor (which the dealer thought the problem might be) but the problem still exists. I am hoping that the problem that Ford was being sued over (I believe it is the ignition switch) will correct the problem. My wife loves the truck but will not tolerate the stalling issue. Please let me know what you all think might be causing the problem. Thanks.

reberhardt 08-16-2001 01:46 PM

It is definately not what Ford just got sued over. That was for the TFI (thick film ignition). The Explorer has never used TFI, instead it uses DIS (distributer-less igintion system). There are many things that can cause it from bad crank sensor, bad PCM, and who knows what else. Unfortunately unless it is setting a code in your computer or happens while the dealer has a monitor hooked up to it, there is very little you can do besides checking out every possible source to make sure each is in tip-top shape.

sdamman 08-16-2001 03:55 PM

reberhardt: Thank you for your input. Unfortunately the dealer could not find a code for the problem, replicate the problem nor find any problem when we used the "flight recorder"/monitor.

reberhardt 08-17-2001 02:05 PM

Did it stall when the monitor was installed? If not, then I am not surprised. If it didn't stall, then they should try leaving it on longer. Of course letting a customer drive around for several weeks with several hundred (thousand?) dollars worth of their equipment is usually frowned upon :(

rlnorth 01-19-2002 04:09 PM

I have a 1997 Explorer 4.0 and also have stalling problems. My experiences are like yours in that the monitors show nothing. Have you had any other luck in curing the problem?

hankm 01-20-2002 02:51 AM

had the same problem 2 WEEKS into ownership of my 97 4.0 sohc...

replaced the crankshaft sensor and the problem went away...

>I have a 1997 Explorer 4.0 and also have stalling problems.
>My experiences are like yours in that the monitors show
>nothing. Have you had any other luck in curing the problem?

CNTHOR 01-21-2002 06:33 PM

I had the same problem on my 95

I replace the mass air flow sensor on a hunch and pulled the + battery terminal in order to reset the "learned" engine characteristics.

The problem has not been back for about 3 months now.

the sensor was $220 from the dealer and took about 5 minutes to install. (it is directly upstream of the air filter in the air intake duct)

kevins 01-23-2002 02:34 PM

We had the same problem w/our '95, and it was the EGR valve sticking open.

abqishome 02-04-2002 01:42 AM

Wow, I may have similar problems... stalling and wife who hates it... My stalling only occurs after the car is turned off and left to sit for about 10 minutes ("hot soak"). Then when I start it, it runs real rough for about 20secs. I thought it was vapor lock. I can decrease the time it takes to smooth out by hitting the accelerator (maybe getting the cooler gas into the engine?"). I checked the NHTSA Office of Defects and Investigation Consumer complaints database, and there is about 14 complaints in there similar to yours and mine. Most are related to stalling when the outside temp starts to increase, that's why I am leaning towards some kind of vapor lock. I want to sell my '95 Explorer, but feel I should fix this rough idle/stall problem before listing it. I wonder if the response from CNTHOR would help my problem as well. Any comments?

HannerJ 02-04-2002 02:15 PM