Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Flathead V8 & Flathead 6 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum57/)
-   -   48 flathead six (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/261829-48-flathead-six.html)

97powerstroke 07-18-2004 10:29 AM

48 flathead six

A friend of mine has a 48 ford truck and decided to hot rod it so he pulled all the stock running gear out and started his conversion. I purchased everything he took out of it, (engine,trans.,front&rear axles, stearing column, and lots of other misc. parts). I had planed on getting a truck and restoring it but no longer have the time to do it. My question is should I rebuild the engine before I sell it or just sell it as is? It was a running engine when it was removed from the truck, it was his daily driver. What do you folks recomend?

Psiclone 07-19-2004 10:50 AM

You'll probably get more money for a rebuilt engine, but it'll most likely cost more to find the right parts than the difference in price of a rebuilt vs. non-rebuilt. You'll probably get a decent amount for it just because it runs. The problem though is the fact that most people are looking for V-8's and there isn't a whole lot of interest in the straight 6.

97powerstroke 07-19-2004 10:53 PM

What about the rest of the parts? Is there a want or a need for them? I don't want to just take them into the scrap yard.

4tl8ford 07-20-2004 03:47 AM

The steering box s a desirable item in the "Hotrod Crowd", used in a lot of 20's/30's builds. The same is true with the transmission crossmembers and the "F-1" front shock mounts.
Ya just have to find the person with the need.

shortleged 08-09-2004 08:39 PM

226 G or H model?

I'm in dire need of "H" model engine or parts for same.Looking foran exhaust manifold and carb. Anybody?

planewood 08-09-2004 11:52 PM

MikeT

Powerstroke -

The 226 cid ford flathead 6 engine was used in about 10,000 Ford tractors between 1939 and 1952. Find some of the Ford Tractor forums and post again on them.

I have one of those tractors with the 1951 Flathead. I'm looking for an updraft intake manifold so I can mount the carb below and have the exhaust stacks going upward. Thought about flipping the one's currently on there but bolt patterns don't match. Any ideas how I could do this?

97powerstroke 08-10-2004 09:24 AM

H model engine? Is that what I have? How could I tell, is it in the casting numbrs on the block somewhere? I'll have to look .

I will check out the tractor sites. Thanks guys.

I do have the front shock mounts but no tranny cross member.

planewood 08-10-2004 09:46 AM

The left side, center, of the block should have a number cast into the side. Mine is 1HA6050. The top of the head should also have another similar number indicating the type of sleeves. There was an "H" series and a "G" series. I think the "G" series started with 0HA----. They next went to an OHV version.

Try this link: http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_six-cyl.htm

46fordtruck 08-11-2004 12:14 PM

G series motors (used from '41 to Sep/Oct '47 in trucks and cars) had blocks and heads with G in the part number, not H. A G and H are easy to tell apart, the H series hada modern looking distributor, unlike the G which used an older style non modern dist. The blocks and heads are different, infact, most every part is different between the G and the H. The H series will bolt in place on a G series chassis with no mods. I have a H series in my '46 that originally had a G series 6, and I use the original G series transmission.

shortleged 08-11-2004 09:30 PM

H model in a strange tractor!

Thanks everybody for all the info on flatty 6 Ford.Learned where to find correct numbers in the castings.This tractor was apparently built from a Funk Conversion Dealer kit supplied by the Funk factory to a Ford dealer or possibly an individual shop.It has a 2N rear half,with a Sherman high range trans,Funk bellhousing adapter and clutch and the Funk 9 inch extended front end.I think the engine is an "H" model as the distrbutor is located in the left center of the block,haven't checked casting numbers yet.Engine runs strong when it runs,but has wrong carb on it,exhaust man cracked.Any help with info very much appreciated.

shortleged 08-11-2004 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by planewood
Powerstroke -

The 226 cid ford flathead 6 engine was used in about 10,000 Ford tractors between 1939 and 1952. Find some of the Ford Tractor forums and post again on them.

I have one of those tractors with the 1951 Flathead. I'm looking for an updraft intake manifold so I can mount the carb below and have the exhaust stacks going upward. Thought about flipping the one's currently on there but bolt patterns don't match. Any ideas how I could do this?

Planewood and powerstroke,good luck finding any info in the tractor forums.The only application for this 226 engine was the Funk Conversion tractors.They were built at the factory in Koffee Kansas,or from kits sold outright from Funk.If you check some of the 8N sites you can see a few with the V-8 conversion,but very few with the 6 cyl.The Funk Aircraft Co factory burned in '53,taking all records with it.There are estimated to have been 5000 to 5500 Funk conversions of the 6 cyl variety tractors factory built,or conversion kits sold to dealers.
If what you have is a Funk 6cyl,it should also have a nasty looking I-beam frame under the engine and 9" longer than stock radius arms.The early ones(all 6 cyl) had cast radius arms,later Funks,6 or 8,had a cast oilpan(like the original Ford) which the front axle pivots on and tubular arms.On the early units the engine could be removed with out splitting the tractor,leaving a rolling chassis.The later ones with the integral oilpan had to be split and blocked up.Funks used several different hood cofigurations as well.Most used the stock hood with a 9" aluminum extension at the rear to accomidate the extra 9" of the bigger motor.The whole hood was raised to accomadate everything else.This extensin is commonly called a "humpback".These odd tractors were built from '42 to '53.Apparently they were popular in the midwest,grain belt states because of there great power and size.
Try looking up 8N Ford sites,see Funk Conversions there.See one once in a while on ebay but they are very rare.Only place I can get any part is my local NAPA dealer.Have tried several tractor dealers,all I get is a stupid look! Most guys have never heard of a Funk!Have seen a couple locally at tractor shows,but they are still very rare.
Somebody suggested www,vanpelt.com/flatheads,low and behold,there it was! Been searching for this kind of info for over a year now!
I need the entire intake system for mine,story goes Funk used the air cleaner from a cab over farm truck of some kind,dunno which.Whew! Anybody with any info on this thing feel free to post it,need all I can find for this reconstruction! Thank all !

shortleged 08-11-2004 10:52 PM

planewood:updraft manifold

ran across a really old geezer recently,says he adapted a carb/manifold from a Ferguson 35 tractor to his Funk.Havent seen it yet,but he claims it works just fine.Looking for the correct Holley carb for my 226,would like to build "zoomie" stainless header for it as well,go straight up! Looked at a couple of "Custom" tractors at a show recently,marketed by Montgomery Ward,used Chrysler 6cyl power(224?) 4+2 trans with a torque converter.Made some noise at the pull!

97powerstroke 08-12-2004 12:18 AM

Found the casting number,7HA6050-C2. It is a complete running motor, Just need to figure out what I'm going to do with it.

Thanks guys.

4tl8ford 08-12-2004 04:34 AM

This site sells the former Funk Conversions.
http://www.staufferv8.com/

shortleged 08-12-2004 08:07 AM

casting numbers

[QUOTE=97powerstroke]Found the casting number,7HA6050-C2. It is a complete running motor, Just need to figure out what I'm going to do with it.

Thanks guys.[/QUOTE

wouldn't junk it just yet.Somebody probably wants it(like me!).Casting number on mine is 7HA6015 on block,OHA6050 on head.Can anybody interprit these numbers?