Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum168/)
-   -   BioDiesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/261302-biodiesel.html)

Ssqtch 07-16-2004 12:05 PM

BioDiesel

I found this article on MSN's site.

http://autos.msn.com/volvo/article.a...tentid=4022450

Anyone know about using it in the 6.0L PSD?

-Brian

johnsdiesel 07-16-2004 12:11 PM

I older trucks you can't run pure biodiesel because it is incompatable with rubber. Newer vehicles, however, can run on B100 with no problems. Let's keep in mind though that biodiesel and vegetable oil are not exactly the same thing. If you want to run straight vegetable oil you would need to modify your engine. I also would not recommend doing this because most of the research that I've seen shows that it is very hard on the injection system.

You can certianly run B20 with no problems (as shown in the picture from your link). From what I've heard, most people report that their engine runs smoother and quieter on biodiesel.

Twin Tritons 07-16-2004 12:51 PM

Here's a pretty good article on making your own bio-diesel from waste vegetable oil. Make your own bio-diesel

Sounds like a lot of work, but also states that you could make it yourself for less than $0.75 per gallon. Would also mean you would have to round up large quantities of used vegetable oil.

mattsf250 07-16-2004 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Twin Tritons
Sounds like a lot of work, but also states that you could make it yourself for less than $0.75 per gallon. Would also mean you would have to round up large quantities of used vegetable oil.

and you would need to dispose of ALOT of waste that was not useable. sounds like a total waste of time, not to mention, dealing with methanol.

wolffee 07-16-2004 02:05 PM

it sounds like a really cool idea and i read alot about it at other sites and i bet if i had like acres and acres of land i could set up a shed and get like a 1000 gallon tank and do it like out in the back in a shed or somthing like that and make it in bulk but i live in a residential area i dont think i should be messing with methanol and all in large enough quantities to make it worth it in my garage. and then storing it in there that is a problom just waiting to happen.also i mean i use alot of fuel i think i mean about 29 gallon every 4 days at like 450 a tank i would want to make like 1000 gallon or more at a time or your going to be making it like every few days and who wants to do that?. its just not ready yet i think to be making it at home even if it does average out to .75$ a gallon. just my few cents

jdadamsjr 07-16-2004 03:37 PM

Wolffee - not being mean or anything....
but please allow me to take a breath every once in a while!
when I read that without any breaks I get outta breath :-)

SBV45 07-16-2004 03:47 PM

He's got a period in there somewhere.

wolffee 07-16-2004 04:46 PM

haha sorry about that i thought i had one in there somwhere. i never was good at grammer i will try to slow it down. i just get going you know. hard to slow it down. heres a couple of the periods i forgot to put in. not quite sure where they go though haha ...........................

Beachbumcook 07-17-2004 03:52 PM

Here is Ford's broadcast message to all dealers regarding Bio-Diesel:

Ford's Position on Biodiesel:
Ford is advising that any of their vehicles powered by a diesel engine, regardless of manufacturer, may exhibit engine or fuel system problems when using fuels with greater than 5% Biodiesel. Any problems when using fuels containing more than 5% Biodiesel should be referred to the fuel manufacturer. Ford only recomends using fuels containing no more than 5% Biodiesel (B5) in their diesel powered vehicles. In addition, as per World Wide Fuel Charter (WWFC) catagory 1-3, fatty acid methyl esters (FAME) must meet EN14214 and ASTM D 6751 specifications. Broadcast Message 0884.

johnsdiesel 07-17-2004 03:54 PM

Ford is obviously covering themselves to avoid warranty work. If you plan on running biodiesel higher than 5% I guess you're on your own.

SBV45 07-17-2004 05:17 PM

I understand that biodiesel's chemical make up is higher in some acids. Thsi could be the reason for the Ford disclaimer. I would hate to booger up (technical term) my injectors.

Beachbumcook 07-17-2004 06:31 PM

Don't quite understand why people buy a new $40,000+ truck and then want to modify it, inject it with water, run unapproved, use bio-diesel and do other things on a truck with a warranty???

Why not buy a used truck with whatever mileage and modify it all you want. One it less expensive and two, you don't have to worry about fighting Ford over your warranty.

Personally, I would NOT run bio-diesel until it is widely available and has been approved. I'll wait for the diesel-electric motor like they use in locamotive engines if I want power and mileage. This could/would be the equivalant to the gas/electric cars from Toyota, Honda and others????

Thanks... just my .05 cents worth (which is more than others .02 cents)

Jeff

Ssqtch 07-18-2004 07:00 AM

Ahh, thank you, I knew somebody here would know Ford's official stance on it. This is my first Diesel truck, so I'd never really looked at Biodiesel before.

OMCUSNR 07-19-2004 11:37 PM

Ford is just covering their ### with that statement. So do VW, GM, & DCB. I run bio in my truck w/ no problems whatsoever. Their are a couple hundrerd thousand europeans running bio diesel in their vehicles w/out problems too.

The auto manufacture's can't control what you put in your vehicle, and they try to limit their liabilty by making statements like that. They can't control the quality of either gas or diesel or natural gas or biodiesel.

Commercial grade biodiesel is better for the truck (lubricity), better for the environment, better for the econonmy & the country. There can be enough feed stock for the oil available w/out drastically increasing farm land.

As far as I'm concerend, if Rudolf Diesel & Henry Ford thought vegitable oils should power their machines, who am I to argue?

SBV45 07-20-2004 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Ssqtch
Ahh, thank you, I knew somebody here would know Ford's official stance on it. This is my first Diesel truck, so I'd never really looked at Biodiesel before.

Here is Ford's position on biodiesel in a service message:

Ford's Position on Biodiesel:
Ford is advising that any of their vehicles powered by a diesel engine, regardless of manufacturer, may exhibit engine or fuel system problems when using fuels with greater than 5% Biodiesel. Any problems when using fuels containing more than 5% Biodiesel should be referred to the fuel manufacturer. Ford only recomends using fuels containing no more than 5% Biodiesel (B5) in their diesel powered vehicles. In addition, as per World Wide Fuel Charter (WWFC) catagory 1-3, fatty acid methyl esters (FAME) must meet EN14214 and ASTM D 6751 specifications. Broadcast Message 0884.