Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum32/)
-   -   Rear Wiper Blade Doesn't Wipe (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/25637-rear-wiper-blade-doesnt-wipe.html)

Horrortaxi 06-09-2002 12:50 AM

Rear Wiper Blade Doesn't Wipe

The rear wiper blade on my 98 Explorer Sport only contacts the glass on the lower 1/3 to 1/2 of the blade. At first I thought I had a bad wiper blade so I replaced it. Now I've had a close look and realize the thing just doesn't touch the glass. I've searched the boards, the net, and the Haynes manual but haven't found a fix. Anybody have one?

I suspect the fix is to replace the wiper arm so I'll ask in advance if anybody knows what one costs. Thanks.

~Dan

OneShotBandit 06-09-2002 11:37 AM

I have the same problem on my '98 XLT.

duketter 06-10-2002 07:16 AM

Not sure if you already fixed it, but I had the same problem on my 99 Explorer and it is the rear wiper arm. Just replace that and it should work just fine. Not sure what happens but that should fix it.

drifter 06-13-2002 11:52 PM

Try taking some W-D 40 to the rivets on the arm where it flexs. Work it back and forth a few times . Sometimes these joints "stiffen up" with dust and dirt and alittle W-D 40 frees them up. This cure worked for both the front and rear wipers on my 98 Explorer XLT. My front ones streaked with new blades and this worked for me, and hope it works for you.

SC98Lariat 06-14-2002 08:52 PM

Just bend the wiper arm so that it contacts the glass fully. The arm gets sprung after sitting on its rest for awhile. A new arm will do the same thing after a few months.

mgazak 08-27-2002 07:06 PM

I just noticed this problem on my father's 2000 X while driving it the other day (the wiper when pointing almost straight up would miss all but the very center of its path, wither end of its path was fine). It bugged the hell out of me so I took a look at it. I sprayed some WD-40 on the arm and worked it around. This still didn't work. So I was looking at the blade itself comparing it to mine (98 X) which works great. Besides his being about an inch shorter, there's an extra little piece in the center of the blade frame that prevents it from swinging almost an 180 degree turn. The wiper on mine doesn't have this extra piece so it can move nearly 180 degrees. What's happening, atleast with my father's, is that the wiper itself can not adjust to fit the window completely in that one position that would require it to move the most ( just about the center of the glass). I'm going to try and find a better wiper that's a little longer and has a greater range of movement like mine. I'll keep you posted.

I'm just curious why I never noticed it before. :-X21

MileHighRob 09-22-2002 12:15 AM

I recently purchased a 2001 Explorer Sport and have the same problem with my back wiper. It's almost as though the arm has been bent since it only touches a small section of the rear glass surface.
I'm wondering if anyone knows how much a new arm costs...
Thanks in advance,
Rob

Horrortaxi 09-22-2002 03:54 PM

I fixed this in June by replacing the wiper arm ($30 from Ford). Later I discovered the same problem and fixed it by bending the wiper arm toward the glass until the blade made better contact.

~Dan

duketter 09-23-2002 09:17 AM

Also, if you have a 2001 I am thinking you still have a factory warranty so it should be free to replace. Just go take it in and have them change it under your factory warranty!

Horrortaxi 09-23-2002 09:23 AM

>I fixed this in June by replacing the wiper arm ($30 from
>Ford). Later I discovered the same problem and fixed it by
>bending the wiper arm toward the glass until the blade made
>better contact.

I should say I discovered the problem on a different vehicle, not on the Explorer.

~Dan

mjs 09-25-2002 10:46 AM

MileHighRob 09-28-2002 06:57 PM

Thanks for the advice! I was assuming this should be covered under the original factory waranty, but not sure. I will take it in as soon as time allows. I know this will drive me insane during the winter months if I have to stop my EX to get out and knock the snow off my rear window.