Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   Does the air filter gauges work? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/251875-does-the-air-filter-gauges-work.html)

bkvanbek 06-17-2004 08:01 PM

Does the air filter gauges work?

I took my truck in, 13500 miles, to have the computer flashed and to check an oil leak. They said it was because the air filter was clogged and the turbo sucked air through gaskets that resulted in an oil leak. I told them not to put in the filter (for $107) thinking I would go aftermarket.

It does not make sense to me, the filter has a gauge that stays at the highest vacuum. I have the truck back, with the old filter, and the gauge does not show a clog. It did not show a problem when I took it in either.

Can any tell me if the dealer is full of it?

Has anyone heard of the AFE Proguard 7 intake stage 2? It is to be released soon.

jdadamsjr 06-17-2004 09:00 PM

I also question the function of the air filter minder !

I have 29K on mine and have not changed the filter and it hasn't MOVED since I bought it...
course I only know that because I STARED at the stupid thing to try to figure out how are you supposed to read anything as idiotic as that --- then saw that there is an equally idiot light on the dash for the air filter minder and for the water in fuel so I figured I was qualified to watch the idiot lights ! :-X22

IB Tim 06-17-2004 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by bkvanbek
I took my truck in, 13500 miles, to have the computer flashed and to check an oil leak. They said it was because the air filter was clogged and the turbo sucked air through gaskets that resulted in an oil leak. I told them not to put in the filter (for $107) thinking I would go aftermarket.

It does not make sense to me, the filter has a gauge that stays at the highest vacuum. I have the truck back, with the old filter, and the gauge does not show a clog. It did not show a problem when I took it in either.

Can any tell me if the dealer is full of it?

Has anyone heard of the AFE Proguard 7 intake stage 2? It is to be released soon.

Where was the oil leak?

donjuanmiguel 06-17-2004 09:13 PM

I don't know how reliable they are. I have read somewhere else that some have had to be replaced. I have had mine since 10/03 and until recently did not move. Now it's move up to the first mark. I don't know if I should be excited about this or nervous. Either way, I ordered a new filter just to be on the safe side. I have noticed a drop in mpg over the last couple of months and have decided to begin replacing things one a time to see if they have an effect on the mpg. I'll begin with the fuel filters tomorrow.

Beachbumcook 06-17-2004 09:17 PM

My diesel tech stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night..... and he said....

1) Change yur filter at 30,000 miles as mandated in your owners manual.

2) The filter minder only works when the motor is under load... which means more than idle. So, you need to have someone step on the "go pedal" and watch if there is any movement. If so, then a clog is starting. Under idle, not enough vacumm or air intake requirements that would cause the minder gauge to move.

3) This filter is alot better than the 7.3's. Cleans better and allows for better airflow.

Well, that's what he said and I guess if he stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night that he knows his stuff??

Thanks,

Jeff

FordxFour 06-17-2004 10:27 PM

Beachbumcook, hate to be the bearer of bad news but your tech told you wrong. This is the same meter they've been putting on "Big Rigs" for 20 some years and they don't work like that. If you get in your truck and drive it as you normally would, when the filter starts getting restricted you will be able to tell it even after you park the truck and turn it off. Thats why it has a reset button. Might want to make sure the filter minder is not faulty. Have them on all my diesels, they work great.

Hayapower! 06-17-2004 10:59 PM

The filter minders got a 'bad rap' on the 7.3's.. They didn't work well alot of times because the service techs, or quickie lube stations would break the 'eyes' on the filter box during a change, and the lids would'nt pull down flat, creating a void in the sealing area/lip, and the minder would never rise.. Or the paper thin 'eye' would snap on its own with age.. Air filters are cheaper than engines.. And with the now SO CALLED 'warped look' of the OEM filter unit, I won't be putting much faith in them or the minder.. Hard to beleive that Ford puts such a sub standard filter unit on such an expensive engine.. I'll let my own 'minder' keep a close 'look see'.. And it is true, that the minders will 'pull till full' and stay locked until manually reset..

..........................HP...................... ...........

IB Tim 06-18-2004 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by FordxFour
Beachbumcook, hate to be the bearer of bad news but your tech told you wrong. This is the same meter they've been putting on "Big Rigs" for 20 some years and they don't work like that. If you get in your truck and drive it as you normally would, when the filter starts getting restricted you will be able to tell it even after you park the truck and turn it off. Thats why it has a reset button. Might want to make sure the filter minder is not faulty. Have them on all my diesels, they work great.

After reading this thread I went out and took min off the truck ........looked and looked, and you are correct. It does seem to be a very simple devise and does not require re-flash to reset the darn thing :-X10

Great thread
:-X22

bkvanbek 06-18-2004 06:46 AM

Tim, It was unclear where they said the oil leak came from. But I believe they meant it leaked form the turbo, the oil that lubs the turbo.

IB Tim 06-18-2004 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by bkvanbek
Tim, It was unclear where they said the oil leak came from. But I believe they meant it leaked form the turbo, the oil that lubs the turbo.

OK that is weird one, do you still have the paper work, the reason I ask this is good info for our readers. If we understand another problem with a clear and easy fix.......GREAT....

Can you trace it back and let us know?

Beachbumcook 06-18-2004 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Hayapower!
The filter minders got a 'bad rap' on the 7.3's.. They didn't work well alot of times because the service techs, or quickie lube stations would break the 'eyes' on the filter box during a change, and the lids would'nt pull down flat, creating a void in the sealing area/lip, and the minder would never rise.. Or the paper thin 'eye' would snap on its own with age.. Air filters are cheaper than engines.. And with the now SO CALLED 'warped look' of the OEM filter unit, I won't be putting much faith in them or the minder.. Hard to beleive that Ford puts such a sub standard filter unit on such an expensive engine.. I'll let my own 'minder' keep a close 'look see'.. And it is true, that the minders will 'pull till full' and stay locked until manually reset..

..........................HP...................... ...........

I defer to your wisdom and agree that with the "warped" filter housing and the toughness of changing the filter, I to will defer to my own review and not base my changes of the filter on the idiot light.... I mean idiot filter minder.

Thanks for the info and advice.

Jeff

Beachbumcook 06-18-2004 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by FordxFour

Makes sense, forgot about the "reset button" and I will defer to your expereince or insight that they have been used for years.

Thanks,

Jeff

Hayapower! 06-18-2004 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Beachbumcook
Makes sense, forgot about the "reset button" and I will defer to your expereince or insight that they have been used for years.

Thanks,

Jeff

The Filter Minders aren't really a bad item.. They work 'very well' in the heavy equipment/trucking industry.. But they're usually 'mated' up to a Donaldson ect. filter housing, that 'clamps' or bolts down tight.. Way better constructed than our plastic unit.. When our equipment is working in 'very' severe dust conditions, they work well as a 'warning' alert for early service, if the equipment/engine isn't due for it's mileage/hourly change.. I just wouldn't put 10-15,000 worth of trust in the 'little helper' :-X22

IB Tim 06-18-2004 10:04 PM

Could it be they are really good for the folks that are in very dusty areas, that would normaly not check under the hood all the time.

We all check more than enough, so it would never work for us.