Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum32/)
-   -   97 Explorer Bend Door Actuator Failure (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/25032-97-explorer-bend-door-actuator-failure.html)

rkasj 02-06-2002 11:35 PM

97 Explorer Bend Door Actuator Failure

My AC/Heater is stuck on heat only except when in MAX AC. My understanding, after $70 diagnosis at dealer, is that the bend door actuator is broken and stuck in the heat position. They say the heater box must be replaced at $977. An independent shop said only the actuator needs to be replaced - much cheaper since dash doesn't have to be removed. Any idea who is right? Anyone know if Ford is looking at a potential recall? Thanks in adv. for help!

reberhardt 02-07-2002 10:18 AM

Every time I have seen someone post that their blend door actuator needed replaced, they have always said that the dash does need to come out. The price quoted by Ford is right in line with what most people are paying when their blend door fails. I would suspect that is all Ford would replace. The part is about $100, the rest is labor to R&R the dash. If the shop you took it to can replace the blend door without removing the door, I would definately take it to them. Unless they have done them in the past though, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they ended up taking out the dash after all to replace it.

drpep55 02-17-2002 02:10 PM

Just got my 95 explorer out of the shop for the same problem.The plenum box was $150 and the labor was 10 hours at $68 per hour.The dash has to come out to replace this part.I agree that there should be a recall on this defective part, but don't hold your breath.

reberhardt 02-20-2002 12:54 PM

There won't be a recall on it unless the NHTSA determines that it is a safety or emissions related problem (not likely). The best that you can hope for is for Ford to issue an Owner Notification Program (ONP) for it. If they do, they will reimburse you for your expenses. It is a very common problem though. Ford's TSB claims the problem was due to installing the EATC blend door in the manual AC system and vice-versa. In other words, they put the wrong door in at the factory. There is a part number on the door that can be looked at to determine if it is the correct one or not. I would think Ford not putting the proper part in would be a valid arguement in a lawsuit for the part of the Federally mandated warranty that all manufacturers must adhere to that states something like everything must at least build their products to be free from defects. That part of the warranty does not expire in the case of an item that fails at a later date when it could not be told earlier if it was defective. I would think installing the wrong door (which Ford has admitted through their TSB) would mean that the heater was not free from defects. If it just failed from use or fatigue though, I doubt if it would get very far.

rkasj 02-20-2002 10:32 PM

I believe, reberhardt, you are refering to Service Bulletin Number:00213, Bulletin Sequence Number: 185, Date of Bulletin: 10/00, NHTSA Item Number: SB618546, Summary: SUBJECT REGARDING CLIMATE CONTROL - EATC - BLOWER MOTOR CONTROL SERVICE TIPS.

Is there a way to get a copy of this bulletin without paying the
$35.45 per hour fee for requests involving computer searches from NHTSA? perhaps free from the dealer?

Thanks to all for the responses. Glad to know I'm not alone.

reberhardt 02-21-2002 03:56 PM

No, that isn't the one. That one tells you the pin-outs and provides a flow chart for troubleshooting purposes. The one I was referring to is article # 98-23-20.

A/C-Lack Of Temperature Control
Article No.
98-23-20
11/23/98

It states that "Some vehicles with a very low odometer reading may experience a lack of temperature control. This may be caused by the incorrect blend air door actuator being installed during the manufacturing process."

For $24.95 you can get a one year subscription to www.alldata.com. Each year after that is $14.95. It was well worth my money and has came in handy several times over the last few years.

Another TSB that I found of interest is article # 99-8-8. The description is:

A/C-Erratic or Insufficient Temperature Control, EATC
Article No.
99-8-8
05/03/99

It mentions that beginning in May '98 Ford started using a nylon blend door which is more durable than the ABS plastic they used prior. It doesn't crack as easily.

rkasj 02-23-2002 09:27 AM

Thanks for the clarification. I'll look into getting the TSBs. I still think if Ford realized that they put in a faulty part, they should at least consider a cost share since the dash R&R time to replace the faulty part is what drives the repair cost so high. But I'm just venting (no pun intended ;^)

edamon 02-25-2002 04:31 AM

This damn problem has been making me crazy for the better part of a couple of months.

For a while, I'd only get Cold air.. no heat when it decided to act up.

Now, I get only heat, less in MAX A/C, which I get A/C.

There is no way I'm going to spend $1000 to have Ford replace a switch nor am I going to yank the dash (I've done a heater core on a 5.0 mustang, it's not fun).

Anyone know a good dept to start with at Ford to complain? I fully plan on having Ford fix this one. From everything thing I've read it's their fault.

So which TSB is it specifically?

I dug up the following from AllData:

00-21-3 OCT 00 Climate Control - Blower Control Service Tips

99-8-8 MAY 99 A/C-Erratic or Insufficient Temperature Control, EATC

97-24-25 NOV 97 Air Temperature Does Not Change When Moving Temp Lever

I'd guess the last two?

thanks

-d

patentguy 02-25-2002 11:33 AM

I did ALL the research back a few years ago when by blend door went bad. I had Ford to the replacement, $1,000.00, and I saved all the parts, including the dime-sized piece of plastic that caused all the problems. I immediately wrote to Ford pleading my case regarding their faulty design. I got back the standard Ford form letter...tough poop-not our problem. I am still holding on to the original plenum, motor, and door in hopes that somebody will get so p'd off that they file a class action suit. Probably never happen.

reberhardt 02-25-2002 12:59 PM

>
>So which TSB is it specifically?
>
>I dug up the following from AllData:
>
>00-21-3 OCT 00 Climate Control - Blower Control
>Service Tips
>
>99-8-8 MAY 99 A/C-Erratic or Insufficient
>Temperature Control, EATC
>
>97-24-25 NOV 97 Air Temperature Does Not Change
>When Moving Temp Lever
>
>
>I'd guess the last two?
>
>thanks
>
>-d

It depends on why yours failed. You are right that it is not 00-21-3. All that one is is a list of troubleshooting steps to determine the failure mode. If yours failed because of the ABS plastic cracked then that would be 99-8-8. If yours failed because Ford installed the wrong door, then that would be 97-24-25.

Robert

edamon 02-25-2002 08:49 PM

>
>It depends on why yours failed. You are right that it is not
>00-21-3. All that one is is a list of troubleshooting steps
>to determine the failure mode. If yours failed because of
>the ABS plastic cracked then that would be 99-8-8. If yours
>failed because Ford installed the wrong door, then that
>would be 97-24-25.
>
>Robert

Is the the door visible from under/thru the glove box? I looked under
there quickly today and saw alot of vac lines running around.

Are we sure certain this is full dash removal? be nice if I could get to it or see it without having to remove anything.

thanks

edamon 02-27-2002 08:01 AM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 27-Feb-02 AT 09:03 AM (EST)]
I've got the Alldata on this.. if anyone wants it, email me.

anyhow, here's the useful test I'll do later on:

Drive actuator in both directions while visually checking actuator for movement.

1. If there is movement, remove actuator and visually che6k blend door where the actuator rod inserts for cracks. The instrument panel does not have to be removed for this operation. If the door is cracked, order a service plenum. Refer to the Service Plenum Tips in this article.

2. If there is no movement, diagnose system according to pinpoint tests in the appropriate Explorer/Mountaineer Workshop Manual.

hank_48 02-28-2002 03:31 PM

Well I guess Ford and the NTSB have a pretty narrow idea as to what is considered a safety issue.

Earlier this month, in KC we had an ice storm. What happened was that it started snowing but as the snow fell, it passed thru a warm air mass that turned it to rain. When the rain finally reached the ground, the air temp was back below freezing.

So guess what, when the rain hits the windshield, it freezes. And with a defroster putting out nothing but cold air - the vehicle becomes (at least what I consider) a pretty bad safety hazard. Just one swipe of the wipers and the entire windshield is obscured. Even with deicer in the windshield washer solution, it can't keep up with it.

But I guess since its just a heater issue and doesn't involve tires blowing up or gas tanks exploding, they feel they can justify their stance.

tschultz2 04-07-2002 08:25 AM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 07-Apr-02 AT 09:34 AM (EST)]I was hoping that I do not have the blend door problem but after reading the symptoms posted on this site, I am loosing hope. I have the simple dial control knob to adjust the temperature. As soon as I turn the heat on all I get is full heat with no adjustability. I noticed that the control dial is electrical so my first hope is that the switch is bad. Any chance of this being correct? Secondly, I am very interested in the troubleshooting procedure to determine the exact cause. I read your post here and although it was helpful, would greatly appreciate a little more detail about the diagnosis procedure. Can you advise where I could learn more about this?

edamon 04-08-2002 08:37 AM

Well I bit the bullet and had it fixed.

I was 99% sure it was the blend door actuator and not the blend door itself (occasionally I was able to control the temp).

Anyhow, it wasn't that bad of a hit to the wallet:

$423 - they swapped the actuator and I had them do the turn signal switch, so that price includes parts and labor on everything.

Airport Marina Ford ante'd up for the rental car to boot.

-d