Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum32/)
-   -   93 Ford Explorer Losing Coolant (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/25020-93-ford-explorer-losing-coolant.html)

KSU_Cowboy 01-03-2003 11:31 AM

93 Ford Explorer Losing Coolant

Have a 93 Ford Explorer with the 4.0 Litre, have replaced the radiator, all hoses, raditor cap, thermostat, water pump, had a 10 minute pressure test performed and losing coolant. Engine does not miss or backfire no visible signs of where coolant is going. Replacing close to a gallon a week ideas? Do seem to have an abnormal amount of condensation out of exhaust pipe. Think maybe a bad headgasket, cracked head, or intake manifold gasket, just need some confirmation or test I can use to help determine the need to tear into the engine.

460429_freak 01-03-2003 04:35 PM

mine would seep out the front intake gasket by the thermostate you couldn't see it but you could get a wiff of it then it blew one day we replaced the intake gasket but then the head gasket started to leak
FORDS always look better when pulling a CHEVY

mrshorty 01-03-2003 04:42 PM

My '92 used to use coolant before I tightened the lower intake manifold bolts.

mgazak 01-03-2003 07:33 PM

My 92 also liked to drink coolant (not like in the first post, though). Never had a problem with the engine otherwise and couldn't find where it went. I traded it at 120,000 miles.

I have to add some coolant on 98 w/ the pushrod occasisionally, but it doesn't seem to like it as much as the 92. :-X07

samhihn 01-03-2003 08:15 PM

Hmmmmm Whatever it is isn't normal. I'm voting head gasket. Whatever it is keep in mind that your O2 sensors don't like smelling anti-freeze. Check your spark plugs....a really "clean" one can mean that cylinder has been burning water. If coolant hasn't been maintained properly there is also a good chance you could have a freeze plug leaking. The intake manifold is also prone to leak at the gasket and sometimes re-torqueing can solve that.

rowiebowie 01-07-2003 10:03 PM

My '95 was loosing a quart a week with no visible drip anywhere, (frustrating). Checked everything I could think of with no luck. Finally it turned out to be the heater valve on the hoses near the engine firewall. Was dripping on engine and evaporating. No too expensive or hard if you have to replace. Good luck, ROY:-)

FortyFords 01-08-2003 06:42 AM

Do you smell antifreeze in the interior ?
Chk your heater core ,pass side ,lift the carpet look for wetness.
Look for bubbles in the coolant if you think headgasket.
If your losing that much ,you'll find it!

Rich

02 F250 4x4 SC 5.4v8 6spd 3.73ls Trueblue/Silver and Chrome Nerfs

"All Levers"

larry2c 01-09-2003 08:39 PM

I have a '93 XLT with 110K on it and started noticing coolant dissapearing a while back. The morning I wanted to leave for Big Bear with my family, it finally decided to reveal where it was leaking. After driving about 3-4 miles and stopping, there was a flood of coolant pouring out around the starter. Turned out to be the gasket failed at the rear passanger side of the intake manifold.

Sounds like this is fairly common :(

SplashMan 01-10-2003 06:10 AM