Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   New York Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum87/)
-   -   Major computer problems (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/248830-major-computer-problems.html)

cowlady 06-08-2004 09:01 PM

Major computer problems

Okay - I'm on my OLD laptop w/a 75 mHz processor! HELP! The power button on my desktop fell inside the tower & I can't turn the darn thing on. Leaving it on was never an option.
I HOPE to get it fixed this weekend but until then I will have limited access because I do not have the patience to wait around for this thing to fire up or load a page.
I'll check email so don't hesitate to email me if you need me! Thanks!

Jdenninger 06-09-2004 05:00 PM

the button on the outside of the case only ushes a little button behind it in most pc's. you should still be able to turn on the pc. take a look at the hole where the button was and see if there is a small black button slightly deeper inside.

it should be an easy fix.

Help I M Stuck 06-10-2004 11:25 AM

yeah, like he said..and if that's the case..use something to push it to turn it on..mine did the same thing a while back..now i keep a small screwdriver handy.

cowlady 06-10-2004 07:55 PM

That's the problem - the INNER button thingy fell inside too. :( There's just an empty spot there now with nothing to push to turn it on. This laptop is SO slow it takes me 12-14 minutes from initial bootup till I get logged on! Then add 3-5 minutes to get my email to open. Plus, the keys stick so I have to edit everything & delete all the double letters.
I'm taking the computer to a shop this weekend & I hope he can fix it. I'll keep you posted ok?

cowlady 06-11-2004 10:47 PM

Okay - this is worse than I thought. The button HAD 2 wires attached to the back but 1 broke off. There's 6 little prong thingys & I don't know which 1 it goes to. I managed to use a paper clip to fish it out - I was gonna tape it to the outside of the tower as a temp fix but now that's pointless. BTW - I'm using my Dad's computer as I'm in Rochester to help my Mom out. I may have to bring this 1 home with me but my niece uses it too for homework so I dunno if I can. That laptop is SO slow! I barely get logged in & I get booted so I ONLY check email & join requests with it. That's why I haven't answered any posts.
Any ideas on what to do with the computer? It's a Compaq Presaario. My sister gave me her old tower but her hard drive is shot. I guess I can put my drive in hers BUT I can't get the tower case off mine!!!!! Arrrggghhh!

Help I M Stuck 06-12-2004 03:08 AM

look closely and you'll find it..just tap it into the other wire and the computer will stay on all the time. It's just an off and on switch. :-X10

John Pen 06-13-2004 05:31 PM

If your computers new enough to want to save, A new case is reletively inexpensive. Those shows they have at the fairgrounds once a month sell them for around or under 20 bucks..and then you could bribe someone from here, who lives in Lewiston, to come and swap the stuff into a new case....He may even have a case around to donate to the cause...

Will work for beer......

cowlady 06-13-2004 09:22 PM

LOL! NOW you tell me! Actually, I'm back on the desktop - sorta, kinda. I have the "button" hanging/taped to the outside. The button broke off - it's just 2 wires. However, when I touch them together it starts up! :) To shut it after shutting down, I turn off the power strip. I'm going to solder a new momentary switch on so at least I can just push that - I don't like touching the 2 wires together to start it. I feel like I'm hot wiring a vehicle! ROFL!
I also took the opportunity to install a CD/RW drive my sister donated to me. I had to take it from her old tower which needs a new hard drive. I'm going to install 1 for her so she can have the computer back & my niece can use it then. So all in all it turned into a win/win situation - so far!
Thanks for the offer to help JohnPen & to everyone for your advice & patience!