Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   6.0L Stock Downpipe Removal (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/243643-6-0l-stock-downpipe-removal.html)

resqdawg3 05-24-2004 10:17 AM

6.0L Stock Downpipe Removal

Does anyone have a clear way of taking this DP off in under an hour? I'm taking my truck in on Thursday to get the new 4" exhaust put on, and I'm trying to save them, my installer, some heartache.
The last one they did, it took them 2 hours to get the DP off, they hate working on these rigs because of it. I have a few other 6.0 bretheren here that are wanting exhausts, but don't want to put our installer through the grief of a 2 hour DP removal process.....
Any hints, tips, tricks to making this easier will be greatly appreciated!!

macvtt 05-24-2004 05:27 PM

You can cut the downpipe with a saw or jack the trans and remove the crossmember. If you have the dp with the foil like insulation you can cut a small bolt that sticks out of the firewall to make the removal easier. (the bolt gets caught on the straps that hold on the insulation) 03 motors have the insulation, 04 motors do not. A 04 motor with the smooth dp can be done in a half hour with air tools. Hope this helps.

resqdawg3 05-24-2004 05:50 PM

I have the 03MY truck. It has the foil on the DP. Now, where is this bolt you are talking about, and is anything going to be affected if I do hack it off?

jdadamsjr 05-24-2004 08:56 PM

The key is removve the wrap as high as you can get to from under
cut all the foil bands so they can't hang on anything -
go as high as you can with the sawzall to cut the downpipe...

Your NOT going to reuse it anyway so to heck with it...

but do save the top part of the downpipe so you can see the massive difference between stock and a 3.5 or 4 inch downpipe !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

resqdawg3 05-24-2004 10:10 PM

I'm going to try and take some pics of the install on Thursday. I'm going with a 4" Mandrel Bent turbo back.

uponyou21 05-24-2004 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by resqdawg3
I'm going to try and take some pics of the install on Thursday. I'm going with a 4" Mandrel Bent turbo back.

the stock one looks like a bent and crushed straw compared to the new one!!!

D HOOKER 05-25-2004 11:10 PM

I put in a Banks Monster exhaust last weekend and I had to cut the downpipe with a 4 1/2" grinder. Also bent that bolt on the firewall up as far as possible.

brad diesel 05-26-2004 07:17 AM

i put on the HOG 4" system last weekend, what a quality product for under $600.00.
sawsal the old system in sections,watch there video and go, couple of hours.

jdadamsjr 05-26-2004 09:04 AM

This sites supporting partner, Motorhaven, had a group buy going on at a great price on exhaust... check it out to see if there are any more available...

they support this great site, so let's support them....

resqdawg3 05-26-2004 11:15 AM

I'd love to support Motorhaven, but I just cannot pass up the deal that my buddy is offering me on this exhaust.....Trust me...it's cheaper than you think. lol
Speaking of which, he called me last night and told me that the 4" pipe that he was needing to connect the tail pipe section and DP never showed up this week. So, no exhaust for me this week. :sigh:
So, I think that I'll go get my window's tinted tomorrow instead, and order my Intake from Motorhaven! :woot

macvtt 05-26-2004 12:06 PM

Nothing is affected if you cut the bolt off. If you get under the truck and look up at the dp you will see a bolt that sticks out into the space the dp goes through. When you unbolt the dp from the turbo and pull it down the straps that hold the foil to the dp get caught on the bolt. Hope this helps some. Oh yeh did you ask if the exhaust you are getting needs to have the firewall ported?

resqdawg3 05-26-2004 02:03 PM

What do you mean, Fire wall ported?

macvtt 05-26-2004 08:24 PM

The fire wall has a seam where two pieces come together. When you go to a 4in dp there is not enough space to fit the pipe without it resting on the seam. If the dp is touching anything you will get a vibration that is felt through the floor. I have a Hog system that I installed and I had to use a hydrolic tool called a port-o-power to flatten the seam for clearence. Go to www.hogperformance.com and watch the video clip on the install. I dont know if all 4in dp are like this but it does get real tight in there.

Tower Jack 05-30-2004 01:05 AM

on a 6.0 with a 3.5 inch DP porting isn't necessary. If you go for a 4 that may be another story

IB Tim 05-30-2004 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by macvtt
The fire wall has a seam where two pieces come together. When you go to a 4in dp there is not enough space to fit the pipe without it resting on the seam. If the dp is touching anything you will get a vibration that is felt through the floor. I have a Hog system that I installed and I had to use a hydrolic tool called a port-o-power to flatten the seam for clearence. Go to www.hogperformance.com and watch the video clip on the install. I dont know if all 4in dp are like this but it does get real tight in there.

Is this the same on the Excursion