Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum168/)
-   -   Biodiesel! What does everyone think of this (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/241434-biodiesel-what-does-everyone-think-of-this.html)

03f350crew 05-17-2004 04:16 PM

Biodiesel! What does everyone think of this?

I saw an advertisement for this in a magazine. What does anyone know about this stuff. Here is the FAQ sheet from the web site. Explore the site and let us know if anyone has any experience with it. If it is cheaper than Regular diesel when can all get together and use this as a boycott tool to bring prices down.
http://www.biodiesel.org/resources/fuelfactsheets/
:-X22

johnsdiesel 05-17-2004 04:42 PM

I would absolutely use biodiesel. It has better lubricating qualities than #2 diesel and, if you get good biodiesel, it gives the same amount of power as #2. I've actually considered trying to make some of my own with the current diesel prices. The main problems with biodiesel are cold weather performance and compatability with rubber components, but I don't think the new PSDs have any rubber components in the fuel system.

03f350crew 05-17-2004 04:44 PM

This is a good start lets keep it up!

johnsdiesel 05-17-2004 05:08 PM

HERE is a good link for biodiesel.

03f350crew 05-17-2004 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by johnsdiesel
HERE is a good link for biodiesel.

Same site that is just the home page instead of the FAQ page. Do you know how much biodiesel is running per gallon now?

ryaneverk2 05-17-2004 05:26 PM

You can always just make your own biodiesel. The components are just vegetable oil and a little lye and methanol. You can even run it on straight vegetable oil, but need an alternate tank of regular diesel or biodiesel for starting the engine and for running for a few minutes before you shut it off, to clear out the system. You can even use USED vegetable oil, such as the stuff a restaurant is dumping (as long as you strain it first). I'd like to make my own some day when I have the resources.

Ryan

johnsdiesel 05-17-2004 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by 03f350crew
Same site that is just the home page instead of the FAQ page. Do you know how much biodiesel is running per gallon now?

You.re right, sorry.

Originally Posted by ryaneverk2
You can even run it on straight vegetable oil, but need an alternate tank of regular diesel or biodiesel for starting the engine and for running for a few minutes before you shut it off, to clear out the system.

From what I've heard running SVO is hard on the fuel system in direct injection systems. I won't run SVO, but I will run biodiesel.

ryaneverk2 05-17-2004 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by johnsdiesel
From what I've heard running SVO is hard on the fuel system in direct injection systems. I won't run SVO, but I will run biodiesel.

I have also heard that straight vegetable oil is hard on the fuel system, but I think it is mainly a problem on rubber components. Some say that it degrades them faster than biodiesel or normal diesel. I'd certainly want to read up on it as much as I could and find some test results before I ran it for myself.

Ryan

johnsdiesel 05-17-2004 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by ryaneverk2
I have also heard that straight vegetable oil is hard on the fuel system, but I think it is mainly a problem on rubber components. Some say that it degrades them faster than biodiesel or normal diesel. I'd certainly want to read up on it as much as I could and find some test results before I ran it for myself.

Ryan

Biodiesel is also hard on rubber components. The problem with SVO from what I understand is the glycerin.

Colorado-native 05-18-2004 10:12 AM

There was an article in the local newspaper this morning stating that the city of Boulder Colorado has had 6 vehicles running on 20% bio diesel for 6 months and are planning on having 100 vehicles using bio by the end of 2004.

However, they also HAVE to change fuel filters 2 to 3 times more often than with regular diesel.

It's not worth it to me to pay a premium for fuel and coincidentaly invite a maintenance problem.

resqdawg3 05-18-2004 10:14 AM

I'd love to switch to Bio-Diesel! It's cool smelling up the neighborhood with the French Fry smell instead of diesel....:lol But, I don't think I could do it long, I love the smell of a diesel engine on a cold morning! :drool

03f350crew 05-18-2004 10:42 AM

I just called and found out that the biodiesel is around .25 cents or more a gallon than regular diesel and which would put it at 2.16 a gallon here in New Mexico. Too bad because if it wasn't bad for my 6.o PS I was going to use it. :'(

khmorse 05-18-2004 11:48 AM

I would. But, the price needs to be about the same and I don't want to have to run all over town to buy it. I looked up distributors in the Hampton Roads, VA, area and there is only one. He is Norfolk, VA, which means running over to that town evertime I need to fill up. There is an Amoco a few blocks from the house that sells diesel for $1.67 a gal this AM.