Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997 - 2003 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum25/)
-   -   Propane conversion (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/231148-propane-conversion.html)

1ford1 04-17-2004 08:53 PM

Propane conversion

Does anyone have any info on propane conversions? I have a 2000 F-150, 5.4, auto.

Racerguy 04-17-2004 10:47 PM

Are you wondering about aftermarket propane conversions or the factory conversion?
If you are talking about the factory conversion I may have to call you names ;)
I HATE them! lol
They do run well but are very hard to work on. There is a fleet of gov't trucks here on LPG and CNG. The conversions are by GFI and done after the truck is built but before it gets shipped.
I'm not sure that I've ever seen an aftermarket LPG conversion on a newer F150 but have seen CNG conversions. Most aftermarket conversion are pretty good. I used to do some installations and liked the IMPCO and Vialle kits. I'm not sure what is out there anymore. I do know though that most conversions take a long time to pay for themselves. The fuel is cheaper but you also get less MPG.

bosshoss 04-18-2004 10:22 AM

Propane on an F-150. See if you can find one to look at, notice where the plugs are.:(
If that dont change your mind, then your entitled to all the fun, plus my share. I dont know about aftermarket systems. I think that ford is going to stop makeing LP gas trucks in the near future. Racerguy might be able to shine some light on this. The plugs dont seem to last as long on the lp gas truck also.

Racerguy 04-18-2004 10:39 AM

If you want to see what a factory perversion, errrrr I mean conversion, looks like just click on the "factory conversion" link in my first post.
The other day I called Ford's tech hotline on a LPG problem on a truck. The engineer said that the next ones that are coming out look even worse under the hood than these. I'm not sure how that would be possible.

1ford1 04-18-2004 07:55 PM

Thanks guys, it seems like a real headache. I not all that in tune with propane , but what about propane/fuel combination instead of straight propane? I have a 1979 F-350 (400ci), 1992 F-150 (302ci) and a 2000 F-150 (5.4ci). I was trying to find something to supplement the fuel, especially in the 1979 (6mpg). I was thinking of aftermarket systems.

Racerguy 04-18-2004 08:32 PM

The dual fuel conversion I am familiar with is the Vialle. It's been a long time since I've done one but I do seem to remember a 400 running very well on propane.
The factory Ford conversion is dual fuel. It runs almost the same on both fuels. Most after market conversion dont have quite as much power on LPG though as it isnt "injected" like with the factory conversion.
Your best bet is probably to get in touch with local propane dealers and see if they know who does conversions in your area.

bigtallen 07-22-2006 11:35 PM

triton propane conversion

Hello, I just joined your club here. I have a 82 f150 with a dual fuel 351 windsor carbeurated. I bought another kit with a impco model e evaporator that came off a 92 f150 fuel injected 302. Evidently the fuel line shut off wired into the fuel pump wire because those newer pumps will continue to pump dry if you simply block the fuel line. Since you can convert this engine, could you do the same thing to a triton engine? Just replace the air filter with the mixer/round filter that came with the kit off the 92. Then wire into the fuel pump and shut it off directly when switching from gas to lp (rather than shutting off the flow of the fuel line). Would this work? Would it be hard on anything? Would the computer allow it to work?
Also, a question on my 82. The c6 does not downshift as it should when i put the pedal to the metal. Even if I am running 2-3,000 rpm, it stays in the current gear, making acceleration pathetic. Is this due to the conversion?

Thanks
Travis

IB Tim 07-23-2006 05:01 AM

... Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!

This happens to be an old thread, however stick around and someone will be by to answer your question.
We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!
Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.:-X22

clandestiny 06-22-2008 12:06 AM

Ill have photos of an aftermarket dual fuel design after the 4th.

With gas prices, im going back to propane.

Id have it done by now, but Im trying to get my father motivated to find me the correct computer for my 2003 F150. Carb setups are so much easier (thats what i had it on before.) Alot less electronics to mess with, just a fuel pump shut off.

If you guys want, let me know and ill take photos during so you can see exactly whats involved and do a write up.

Q'man 07-17-2008 06:34 AM

How'd the conversion go?