Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum117/)
-   -   What is difference between turbo and powerstroke (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/22680-what-is-difference-between-turbo-and-powerstroke.html)

BlacKMaGic 01-03-2003 06:38 AM

What is difference between turbo and powerstroke

just curious, cuz i've seen that they have 3 different diesels listed for 94 a regular, a turbo, and powerstroke. the one i just purhcased is a turbo diesel. what are advantages or disadvantages. can i upgrade this to powerstroke levels?

bilder12 01-03-2003 07:12 AM

the difference in the diesel engines is

7.3 naturally aspirated (non turbo)

7.3 turbo diesel, which has a turbocharger to force more air into the combustion chambers, making more power in the same size engine. The 7.3 turbo diesel uses an injection pump that is engine driven and mounted on the front of the engine just over the valley pan. You will see 8 fuel lines connecting the pump to the injection nozzles of each cylinder. (Over the road diesels have used this engineering for a long time). This also allows the fuel to be burned more efficiently.

Power Stroke - is basically the same block, except now the fuel is controlled by electronic controll. The fuel pressures have also been increased to allow for a better fuel burn (required by government regulations).

You cannot change the 7.3 turbo diesel engine into a power stroke engine, but you can change the 7.3 naturally aspirated engine into a turbo diesel.

hope this helps a little

welderford390 01-03-2003 03:23 PM

7.3 Liter IDI - Indirect Injection (Basically easier to work on than the powerstroke)

7.3 Liter PSD - Direct Injection

1969 Ford F-250 4X4, 390 bored .030 over, carter 4 barrel carb, Terminator mufflers, NP 435, NP 205 Transfer case, HD Dana 44 w/ discs up front and Dana 60 in the rear. 90% completly rebuilt from ground up.

1995 Ford F-250 4X4, Powerstroke Diesel. Supercab longbox. 70 hp chip, Tymar Air intake, isspro pyrometer and boost guages. Other than that its stock. Plans: 4in exhaust, propane injection, cd player, and possible intercooler.

The Diesel Dude 01-03-2003 08:57 PM

The Power Stroke does NOT have basicly the same block as the IDI engine. There are 2 different engine families: The indirect injection (IDI) engine and the Power Stroke which is a direct injection engine. For 93 and 94 there were 2 IDI engines, a naturally asperated and a turbo charged version. The IDI engines inject their fuel into a precombustion chamber. These engines will be painted gray. For 94 there were 3 engines available, the 2 aforementioned IDI engines and the Power Stroke. The Power Stroke injects its fuel directly into the cylinder. These engines will be painted black.

bilder12 01-04-2003 12:28 PM

excuse me. I stand corrected. I was of the impression the power stroke was a 7.3 displacement engine and I thot the differences came from the head designs. I would appreciate learning the differnces if someone would explain them to me.

The Diesel Dude 01-04-2003 01:09 PM

The 6.9/7.3L IDI engine was a gasoline engine conversion from the International Harvester 404/446 MV8 engine. Because it was a gasoline conversion, there was a constant problem with getting the casting clean inside the water jackets (bore spacing was too close). The 7.3L Power Stroke/T444E engines were started from a clean sheet of paper. The only parts interchangable between the 2 engine families are the roller hydraulic lifters. Interestingly enough, the only parts interchangable between those engines and the new 6.0L engine are the roller hydraulic lifters.

jschira 01-05-2003 07:00 AM

89ford73 09-20-2003 11:54 PM

i have an old ford 7.3 n/a and i was thinking about port and polishing my heads and finding an old powerstroke and robbing the turbo, lower compression pistons, cam, and crank because i heard the rod journals were different but the mains were the same i know banks makes a sidewinder bolt on turbo for like 110 hp and 130 ft lbs but i was thinking more like 700+ hp and 1000+ ft lbs torque. will any of this stuff fit?... do you know where i can find this kind of stuff that will fit? i know alot more about diesels than your average joe, im thinking about going to truck pull contest and showing all those cummins havin fools how to drag a sled the ford way

HrlyDr 09-22-2003 12:21 PM

Originally posted by 89ford73
ii know alot more about diesels than your average joe, im thinking about going to truck pull contest and showing all those cummins havin fools how to drag a sled the ford way
If you know so much about diesels, why do you hafta ask what fits? :-X03

1,000 ft/lbs...now THAT's some torque!

1970 F-250 09-23-2003 08:08 PM

The 7.3, 7.3 Turbo diesel, and the 7.3 powerstroke all have the same displacement, which is like 445 cubic inches. The 7.3 factory turbo diesel has 20 more horse power than the standard 7.3. The 7.3 and 7.3 turbo are both IDI(has glow plugs) and have precombustion chambers. The powerstroke is DI(no glow plugs) and sprays a fine mist into the top of the piston. It is also computer controlled. The 7.3 powerstroke has like at least 40 or 60 more horsepower than the 7.3. The powerstrokes are very efficient, for how much power they put out. They make about 16-18 mpg. I have a 1994, F-350, 4x4, 5spd. factory turbo diesel. It gets 18mpg unloaded. It is less complicated than the computerized powerstroke, but its a pain in the winter, without DI, like the powerstroke. I like my 7.3 over the power stroke, because I can at least fix it my self(since I am a diesel technician), because it isn't computerized like the powerstroke.

Blaine Schulte 09-25-2003 11:15 AM

powerstroke have glow plugs under the valve covers. since your a diesel tech. here's a question for you. i have posted a thread about not being able to keep the oil filter gasket from blowing out on a freshly rebuilt engine. search my name and see the thread. waiting to her your input diesel tech. i am a diesel mechanic!

RawPower 09-25-2003 07:51 PM

THEY ARENT THE SAME ENGINES. I hope you don't think this, but you did make it sound like it. The IDI has NO computer controling the engine, while the Powerstroke does. If you were to do a swap, you would need the computer out of the powerstroke. (To make it more clear, you would be removing the whole engine in your current truck and some of its components, then replacing them with a new engine and new components, not only under teh hood, but its recomended that you get at least a 3" exhuast, as the powerstroke does, and a thicker, stronger driveshaft). The Powerstroke is more powerful, horsepower and torque, but harder to upgrade or work on. You cannot put those performance ships in the IDI's since there is no computer.

efoster_01 04-03-2006 01:03 PM

will they both bolt up to the same transmision? a 1990 7.3 IDI and a 2003 7.3 powerstroke.

Thanks,
Bone

Dave Sponaugle 04-03-2006 05:28 PM

Yes they will.
You can bolt the six speed transmission out of a 2002 7.3 Power Stroke to a 83 6.9 if you want to.

But then this post is almost 3 years old.

efoster_01 04-03-2006 07:15 PM

well thanks for the info, that is what i was after. and yeah after i posted that when i found the thread with search, i saw the last post date.

Thanks again,
Bone