Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   How to add Lucas transmission fix? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/226763-how-to-add-lucas-transmission-fix.html)

luke_trash 04-06-2004 12:34 PM

How to add Lucas transmission fix?

I just bought the 24 oz bottle of Lucas Transmission Fix, and I'm curious about how to add the stuff.. From reading the bottle, it appears as if you're supposed to add it in ON TOP of the fully tranny.

It doesn't mention draining out 24 oz of tranny fluid??

Is this right or am I'm on crack?

95 F150 04-06-2004 02:06 PM

You could just break a few of the transmission pan bolts loose and drain some fuild out then retighten them. After you do that then add the Lucas tranny treatment. Then you wont have to worry about being over full.

larry derouin 04-06-2004 02:10 PM

If ya got a marine dual action syphon pump (or any syphon pump with a six ft. hose thaqts thin enough), stick the hose down the fill tube, syphon 24 oz out and then put in the lucas. lot less chance of pulling too much out and a lot neater to boot.

luke_trash 04-06-2004 02:13 PM

I've got a MityVac.. I might try that.

it's weird if you read the instructions it acts like you dump the stuff in on top of existing fluid.. I don't want to top it off, only to have the stuff immediately evaporate (or whatever it does) and leave me 24 oz shy of full.. I'll suck out and retain some ATF if I can and go for a short drive..

From Lucas' website:

One 24 oz. bottle of Lucas Transmission Fix can be added to existing fluid (a
moderate overfill is not harmful). A second bottle may be necessary in large or badly
worn transmissions.

Somehow, 3/4 quart of extra fluid still makes me a little uneasy...

bobcf 04-06-2004 06:40 PM

Pull the line off the trans to the cooler, put it in a bucket and run engine till you get about 24oz. On the e4od its the rear line.

Bob

jj292 04-06-2004 08:37 PM

Does this stuff actualy work?

Rick78 04-06-2004 09:29 PM

Go here, http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/ and read "The Story With Additives"

Regards, Rick

jj292 04-06-2004 10:32 PM

From what I saw it did not mention anything about ATF.

But WHOA!!! That will sure make me think about motor and gear oils.

JJ

luke_trash 04-07-2004 04:11 PM

Heh.. now you have me scared :)

Maybe the 'immediate' results Lucas touts come from the way it makes the oil 'sticky' so that it will work as soon as you start the engine.. but look out, once it heats up.

Maybe I'll hold off on putting this stuff in for a bit.

Indybroncoman 04-07-2004 04:27 PM

Here's the best way to add Lucas to tranny fluid. Drain tranny of ALL fluid. Take unopened bottle of Lucas, open it and pour it in the drain pan along with the old fluid. Fill transmission fluid with good quality Redline, Royal Purple, Mobil 1 or similar quality oil. Drive. I bought some of that Lucas stuff too and after reading the post on Bob's oil site and some other info, I had second thoughts. Anyway, 190,000 miles on my tranny and all is well. Good luck!

Lagerlot 04-08-2004 06:31 AM

wow what an eye opener that article was!! Has anyone heard anything like that about " risoline" I have been using that for a few years now in my vehicles. But I do change the oil between 3000 and 4000 miles. I have also switched to synthetic oil.

Indybroncoman 04-08-2004 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Lagerlot
wow what an eye opener that article was!! Has anyone heard anything like that about " risoline" I have been using that for a few years now in my vehicles. But I do change the oil between 3000 and 4000 miles. I have also switched to synthetic oil.

Similar tests have shown the same results about Rislone, Marvel Mystery Oil, Gunk et al, while some swear by these additives. Modern day oils are so well constructed (that is, the quality of base oils and additive packages are very good) that additional additives are not necessary. This is especially so if you are using synthetic fluids which are superior lubrications.