Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   New Hampshire Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum158/)
-   -   Massachusetts members check this bit of legislation out. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/223077-massachusetts-members-check-this-bit-of-legislation-out.html)

boxcar1974 03-28-2004 05:24 AM

Massachusetts members check this bit of legislation out.

It’s Back! Massachusetts Bill to Ban the Sale/Installation of Aftermarket Exhaust Systems Resurfaces - March 2004

URGENT LEGISLATIVE ALERT

After being stalled since last year, a bill (H.B. 1722) to ban the sale or installation of “an exhaust system which has been modified in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the exhaust” has been approved by the Massachusetts Joint Committee on Public Safety. It has not been revised from last year’s version and remains an extremely damaging piece of legislation. The bill has now been referred to the House Steering, Policy and Scheduling Committee.

Call or E-Mail the Members of the Steering, Policy and Scheduling Committee (List Attached) Immediately to Request Their
Opposition to H.B. 1722

• H.B. 1722 ignores the fact that aftermarket exhaust systems are designed to make vehicles run more efficiently without increasing emissions.

• H.B. 1722 does not supply law enforcement with a clear standard to enforce, allowing them to make subjective judgments on whether or not a modified exhaust system is in violation.

• H.B. 1722 fails to recognize that aftermarket exhaust systems offer increased performance, which can make a vehicle safer by improving its ability to merge, pass, travel uphill, etc.

• H.B. 1722 would make it difficult for hobbyists to replace factory exhaust systems with more durable, better performing options.

Call or e-mail the members of the Steering and Policy Committee (See List Below) today to oppose this legislation. This bill tramples on the rights of vehicle enthusiasts in Massachusetts.

House Steering, Policy, and Scheduling Committee

Rep. Paul Kujawski
E-Mail: Rep.PaulKujawski@hou.state.ma.us
Telephone: 617-722-2960
Facsimile: 617-722-2846

Rep. Benjamin Swan
E-Mail: Rep.BenjaminSwan@hou.state.ma.us
Telephone: 617-722-2692

Rep. Louis Kafka
E-Mail: Rep.LouisKafka@hou.state.ma.us
Telephone: 617-722-2305
Facsimile: 617-722-2598

Rep. Ellen Story
Email: Rep.EllenStory@hou.state.ma.us
Telephone: 617-722-2692

Rep. Christine Canavan
E-Mail: Rep.ChristineCanavan@hou.state.ma.us
Telephone: 617-722-2320
Facsimile: 617-722-2339

Rep. John Fresolo
E-Mail: Rep.JohnFresolo@hou.state.ma.us
Telephone: 617-722-2960

Rep. Peter Kocot
E-Mail Address: Rep.PeterKocot@hou.state.ma.us
Telephone: (617) 722-2575

Rep. James Eldridge
Email: Rep.JamesEldridge@hou.state.ma.us
Telephone: 617-722-2060

Rep. Joyce Spiliotis
Email: Rep.JoyceSpiliotis@hou.state.ma.us
Telephone: 617-722-2090

Rep. Brad Hill
E-Mail: Rep.BradHill@hou.state.ma.us
Telephone: 617- 722-2489

Rep. Elizabeth Poirier
E-Mail: Rep.ElizabethPoirier@hou.state.ma.us
Telephone: 617-722-2976
Facsimile: 617-626-0108

We all have to jump on this and stop junk like this being impossed on us. Law for all to control one!!!!!!!!

MustangGT221 03-29-2004 09:56 AM

All done, I can't believe this crapola.

boxcar1974 04-03-2004 12:02 PM

As of April 1, 2004 this bill is law......it is now illegal in Massachusetts to have a exhaust system any louder than stock.

banzairx7 04-19-2004 06:45 AM

This is not law yet. It has been referred back to the house rules committee-

http://www.state.ma.us/legis/history/h01722.htm

boxcar1974 04-19-2004 07:19 PM

4.04 (b): Procedures for Inspection of
Non-Commercial Motor Vehicles
(5) Muffler and exhaust System. Accelerate motor to test for prevention of unnecessary noise and emission of any unreasonable amount of smoke. The exhaust system, exhaust manifold(s), exhaust pipe(s), muffler(s), and tailpipe(s), if designed to be so equipped, shall be tight and free of leaks. System components shall be securely fastened with fasteners in place and undamaged. All motor vehicle exhaust systems shall discharge the exhaust beyond operator, passenger, and/or trunk compartment. Unnecessary noise is herein defined as any noise which is louder than that emitted by the vehicle when equipped with the original manufacturer's equipment. A gas or diesel vehicle will be rejected if, at normal operating temperature, at any constant speed over 15 MPH, (approximately 1,000 to 1,200 RPM's) visible black or blue exhaust emissions are evident.

My rep told me that law would die in committee...it was targeted at gangs.......but the above in from massachusetts vehicle test regulations.....why were they ready to right a law that already exhisted? I was told by a instection station that and exhaust over stock noise output is illegal......so I thaught the the law had passed and I contacted my rep. She told me it would die in committee......so why did the inspection station tell my dad his flowmaster 50 series was illegal? I did some research and found that they were illegal already!!!!!!!!!!

Jon-VH 04-26-2004 10:25 AM

Thoughts:
#1. These law makers are idiots.
#2. The loudest vehicles by far are diesel (read comercial) trucks & Harley motorcycles. I assume both are exempt.
#3. A V6 or V8 engine with a turbo type muffer should not raise anyones eye brows in terms of noise.
#4. How far back does this go? If you had it last year are you grandfathered in? Or if you own a car from the 50s or 60s are you exempt since your exempt from emissions?
#5. They should have just passed a law that said no Hondas, Toyotas, or other 4-cyl *hit box's can have a louder than stock exhaust. That's to the point.
#6. How is a inspection person supposed to know stock with out a decibel meter? That leaves it open to opinion of some frustrated inspector with an axe to grind.

MustangGT221 05-10-2004 12:34 AM

Honestly, I'm not that worried about it. I don't think a cop is going to be pulling me over for a loud exhaust, unless i was doin something else wrong and he wanted to give me that to be a jerk. I have a high-flow cat w/ a 40 flowmaster and its decently loud but harley's are totally rediculously loud and they never have trouble. I got through the inspection w/ a 6" lift, I don't think this law will ever be enforced...it's just something those damn political people do to make it look like they're doing something.