Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   New York Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum87/)
-   -   emition laws (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/222858-emition-laws.html)

edgexcrider 03-27-2004 02:54 PM

emition laws

anyone kno the emition laws in NY are? im putting a exhaust on my 150 and want those damn cats off, but not sure if i need to pass emitions. steve

93' f-150 300 I6

Yeti 03-27-2004 10:44 PM

Cat is technically part of an inspection, now depending on where you take it, and if they look for it, thats a whole different story.

At least where I am in NY,their is no sniffer tests as of yet. Not sure about up state.

ST_Wilson 04-08-2004 09:52 PM

You will definitely need em, not sure where you are Yeti but there's been sniffer tests by me for years and they will get you for missing/hollow cats if ya need em for your model year. only way around the sniffer is to have a vehicle 25 years old or older. They do the sniff test on the dyno so they hit you at all rpm's and at load. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your response?

Yeti 04-08-2004 10:14 PM

ST, Im in Buffalo, no sniffers here...

ST_Wilson 04-09-2004 07:32 AM

i gotta move, they have had em on Long Island for as long as I remember, so your telling me come inspection time they don't strap your truck to a dyno?

Yeti 04-09-2004 08:27 AM

Heck, I only know of a couple places here with dynos, and they are just motor dynos at the race motor shops.

My last inspection lasted 7 minutes, and half that was scrapping the old sticker of the windshield..

ST_Wilson 04-09-2004 09:27 AM

hey, good luck for you man, I can't let jealousy make me angry at you as I know from posts of yours that i've read you are a stand up character so all i can say is i hope it holds up for ya bro, down here they been kickin us square in the shorts for years with sniffers and a few years back they added the dynos, shops were required to purchase these things or lose they're inspection liscense. damn things break down ALL the time too. They have cameras in em so they can't cheat em, I know 2 shops that lost their licenses because they tried and got caught. the worst part about it is that part of the test is to make sure the engine is making enough power for the amount of emissions it is uotputting so they have to watch a screen and drive the car on the dyno simulating accelerating and decellerating, you get a guy who doesn't know how to downshift and it is a nightmare. I had a guy wanted to fail my 2000 bone stock focus, I told him to do it again and stood there shouting to him when to shift and it passed with flying colors. when he got out he admitted the most he ever drives a stick is to move cars in and out of the repair bay... and for that he was gonna let my car fail... end rant, sorry. :-X21

jarrod316 04-09-2004 07:22 PM

Hi all, First time posting on this section of the forum. But I have info about NYSI's. Coming in june or july inspections are going up, again. 96 and newer vehicles will be hooked up to a computer that all inspection stations will be required to buy. as for new york city area i'm not sure, but for the rest of the state this is what will happen. Shops will do the normal safety inspection, then plug their new computer cable into the diagnostic plug in your 96 and newer vehicle. What this computer is looking for is current trouble codes and status of readiness indicators. You might be wondering what readiness indicators are, right. Readiness monitors are indicators that are used to find out if emissions components have been evaluated. If all monitors are set to “ready,” the emission components have been successfully evaluated and are ready for testing. These Monitors require certian drive cycles to be ready. So if your check engine light is on don't just clear the codes or disconnect the battery, this will reset the readiness monitors and they will show a status of "not ready". The vehicle won't pass inspection until those monitors show a status of "ready". Remember the 10 day stickers? They are coming back for this reason, if the readiness monitors are "not ready" you may be eligible for a 10 day sticker so you can drive the vehicle through the drive cycle's needed to get these monitors into the "ready" status. Bet this is blowing everyone's mind. One more thing, they still have to check to make sure all the emissions components that were installed at the factory are still on the vehicle and hooked up. So don't cut them cats off yet guys. This new little computer the shops have to buy (thanks to big brother) sends this info from your vehicles computer to albany at the time of the inspection via phone modem. Are we worried yet? Don't worry to much. Atleast their not doing the sniffer test here yet. Sorry, don't mean to scare anyone. Just giving a heads up. Happy to answer any questions if i can.

RoushRacen 04-09-2004 10:31 PM

This is what kills me...this is all to happen in june but I have yet to get any info from the state about this. Everyone in the shop has to watch a vido and take a test but we haven't received anything. The techs are the ones doing the inspections and you'd think we would be up to date...owell, thank you DMV

Sorry about the rant, I just can't wait to hear the complaints from the customers on the cost. My job juuuuust gets easier...lol

jarrod316 04-16-2004 07:05 AM

From what I understand, the test we will be taking to be certified to do these inspections will be done on the computer the shops will have to buy. It is suppose to be a simple test. I went to a seminar about this. The whole process of the inspection is suppose to be pretty easy to do. But your right, the hard part is going to be dealing with customers when their vehicles don't pass this inspection and the cost, what ever it ends up to be.

GLR 04-16-2004 07:15 AM

The inspections part of DMV is a little slow... In the lat 70's each inspector was to get a little "pocket book" with the procedures.. still waiting.

Yeti 04-16-2004 03:30 PM

Well, I talked to a few friends, and this will be implemented here also.
My buddy told me that the "drive cycle" is most important.
We hooked my truck up the other day, and not ready, I did have there battery un hooked earlier, so he said that is probably why we got those codes.
He told me to drive it a few days and we will plug it in again to see.

I run a chip, cat back and a K&N, so if needed, I can yank that junk.

The problem Im hearing is a lot of guys around here have not received any info from the state yet .

Kinda funny that different parts of the state are behind in this....

ST_Wilson 04-16-2004 07:58 PM

Lucky me... ya can't pull codes from a 78 or I'd be scroobed. just trying to get her back on the road though, machine shop has my flywheel and i gotta buy a clutch :-hair

RoushRacen 04-16-2004 08:01 PM

Yeti, I think the only thing that may give you an issue is the chip, the K&N and the cat back shouldn't be a problem. They only let the engine breath, exhaul easier.

Yeti 04-17-2004 04:52 PM

I'll try to get it plugged in , in the next few days to see if it is "ready", I put some miles on it since the battery dissconect..