Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum168/)
-   -   Propane injection (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/212471-propane-injection.html)

DR JOE 03-02-2004 08:56 PM

Propane injection

Is there anyone out there using Propane injection on there PSD??

I have been doing allot of reading on this subject and wondering if it's all that and a bag of chip's???...

If you do have one what brand?? And what did it do for you?? ie; better performance, mileage or both or what happened??

Do you recommend one???

Joe

P.S.
I would also like to say thank you to the people of this web site, as I have learned a lot from the great people on this site.. Please keep up the good work.

Quadzilla 03-02-2004 09:08 PM

Is there anyone out there using Propane injection on there PSD??
Yep, me, among others.

I have been doing allot of reading on this subject and wondering if it's all that and a bag of chip's???.
All that, a bag of chips, and more.

If you do have one what brand??
Powershot 2000.

And what did it do for you?? ie; better performance, mileage or both or what happened??
Approximately 80 more hp at the rear wheels. They're supposed to give an increase in mileage as well, but first, I'll have to learn to keep my foot out of it. I haven't seen an increase in mpg, it's the same as before, but I get where I'm going sooner. :) :)

Do you recommend one???
I'd recommend two, but I don't know how you'd plumb them both in. :) :)
They're great, if used carefully. Used carelessly, they can destroy your engine. There are ways to safeguard against damage though. If you're serious about looking into it, I'd be glad to help you get started on the right foot.
Scott.

DR JOE 03-02-2004 09:43 PM

I have a BullDog chip and a AFE air filter and a 4" exhaust on the truck now and I'm looking for better fuel milage....
What do you think??
Also where do you live ???State??

Thanks Joe

WeWeld 03-02-2004 10:56 PM

I have an old power shot system that I improved upon. I can spray up to 3 nozzles at once.
1 is for economy
2 is for towing
All 3 are for smoking anything.
My mileage goes up about 2mpg if I can keep my foot out of it.
I've been running it for over 5 years and over 150K it's a lot of fun but you need to be careful if you have powder metal rods.
I live in Ca.

GENE

Quadzilla 03-03-2004 03:29 AM

As WeWeld stated, he gets a 2mpg increase if he keeps his foot out of it. I guess he's just got more self-discipline than I do. He's also got one of the original Powershot systems, if his is 5 years old. The newer ones, (mine is only one year old), have been detuned to prevent damage to the engine, but in so doing, they've reduced the amount that the system can flow. I've modified mine to maximize flow, but that's just the kind of guy I am. :) :)
If you were to get a system, and could control your self, you'd likely see an improvement, especially when towing.
I live in the Seattle area.

JMorton 03-03-2004 08:09 AM

I should be getting my system today!!! Quad has me all jazzed up to get it installed and going. I'm going with the Bully Dog system just because I'm getting a heck of a deal on a used system, otherwise I'd go with the Powershot 2000 becuase of all the good things I've heard about it. I can't wait!!! Thanks a lot Quad for the previous advice!!

Quadzilla 03-03-2004 04:20 PM

No problem. Let me know if anything else comes up I can help you with.
Scott.

stormyrider 03-03-2004 08:14 PM

propane injection

My son has modified his service truck to propane boost. He is in the Army over in Iraq and it is a 1 1/2 ton. He removed the cold weather start ether injection setup and put the propane in there with a switch operated valve. He said only problem was if you stayed at full throttle too long the turbo exhaust would get really hot. He installed it for when you need to change locations in a hurry and he said you wouldn't believe the acceleration you get with it.

Quadzilla 03-03-2004 08:45 PM

Actually, making power with propane is a little cooer than doing it with diesel fuel alone. For example, if a stock truck makes 190 rwhp, doing that with a mixture of propane and diesel will be cooler than doing it with straight diesel. However, with propane, you're capable of making a lot more hp, so doing that makes the truck run hotter. If I'm blasting up the 12% test hill, my speedo, tach, boost gauge, and pyro swing from left to right in unison, like the Rockettes. :)

MTMike 03-03-2004 10:27 PM

Originally posted by Quadzilla
If I'm blasting up the 12% test hill, my speedo, tach, boost gauge, and pyro swing from left to right in unison, like the Rockettes. :)
Is that James Street?

mike

Quadzilla 03-04-2004 04:16 AM

So, you apparently know a little about Kent.... Actually, no, it's a new road they've put in about a year ago that runs up the East Hill. It's 277th Street, and cuts up the hill directly beside the drive-in theater on Auburn Way. It dumps you out on Kent-Kangley at 116th, if you're familar with that area.

MTMike 03-04-2004 09:41 AM

I lived at the top of Kent Kangley for a couple yrs in the late '70s and occasionally worked at the space center. Haven't tried that new road yet. Sounds like fun :-)

Currently, I'm doing some contract work in redmond.

mike

Quadzilla 03-04-2004 05:22 PM

Mike- If you decide to run the hill, here's the deal: From Auburn Way North, head up the hill. At the base of the hill, there's a 50mph Speed Limit sign, (Yeah, right!) Hit that sign at 60mph in OD, and bury your foot. See how fast you're going when you hit the top of the hill. I consistently hit 80mph.
I generally have to pick the Camry's out of my grill when I get home, though. :)

MTMike 03-06-2004 07:55 PM

Originally posted by Quadzilla
Mike- If you decide to run the hill, here's the deal: From Auburn Way North, head up the hill. At the base of the hill, there's a 50mph Speed Limit sign, (Yeah, right!) Hit that sign at 60mph in OD, and bury your foot. See how fast you're going when you hit the top of the hill. I consistently hit 80mph.
I generally have to pick the Camry's out of my grill when I get home, though. :)

Well, how could anyone turn down a chance like this? :) :)

Hit the bottom of the hill at about 55 (traffic). Managed 70 by mid way up but couldn't get anymore - just held 70. BTW, there was a Camry next to me :-)

Your mods must be doing something good!

mike

powerstrokin97 03-07-2004 05:07 PM

Alrighty, thought i'd throw a curveball in there for you guys to think about. This last fall, a buddy that pulls with an 02' duramax installed a homemade propane setup. And it was probably the last pull we went to last year when he finally got it installed. me n' him were talking before the pull and wondered what effect mapp gas would have (50% acetelyne/ 50% propane)... and WOW it made that little chevy scream. The only detrimental attribue the the mapp however, was that it made the egts jump.