Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum32/)
-   -   Here we go, Ford over timing chain issue SOHC!!!! Help!! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/212219-here-we-go-ford-over-timing-chain-issue-sohc-help.html)

rc581 08-16-2004 11:21 PM

ok edward r, thank for the reply, i appreciate it.....bob

mbmech157 09-30-2004 12:29 PM

I have a 2000 XLT and bouth it used with the timing chain tensioner recall already completed. The problem started again (chain rattle) and at first the dealer said it was a spark knock which was a diagnosis I wouldn't accept. Then they called and advised that they were going to perform the recall again (00m12). I pick the truck up later, I'll let you know how it all turns out. I was just suprised that they are going to perform the recall again. If the problem is in fact fixed, then kudos to FORD for the first time since I've owned it.

tfcole22 09-30-2004 02:25 PM

recall sounds good

Do you have an explorer? There is no recall for the 2001 and up Ranger that I am aware of although we have the exact engine! I am much less of a Ford enthusiast these days.. Thanks for the reply and keep me posted on your situation.. They seem to just be replacing a bad part with a bad part.. I was thinking of paying to have mine fixed but heck no if they just use the same parts that will go bad soon after.. I currently have 50,000 miles on mine.. praying that it holds up..

archer1 10-01-2004 02:07 AM

Is this problem on the 96's and below??.

mbmech157 10-01-2004 01:07 PM

I got the truck back, they say they did the recall again and it's still making the rattling noise (Of Course). Now they say I have to get the timing chain replaced along with the guides as per TSB 4-15-04. Thay say it's $1140.00 plus tax. I have been driving the truck like this for the last year and I'm ready to just say f*** it and deal with ther noise but I am concerend that the timing chain will snap and it will be 3X's as much to fix. any thoughts

cage71 10-02-2004 07:58 AM

timming chain

hey they sould have replaced it all because there is a full kit for that so i would be having word words with someone
later cage71

silvermaxd 01-11-2005 03:13 PM

I have a '98 Ranger,4.0L with the start-up rattle(when its cold out) and although it runs fine and I hate having any dealership goofballs under my hood I'm concerned about this becoming a "big" problem. I have 50k miles on it at the moment.

If anybody has a copy of the ONP letter or know where to get one I would much appreciate it.

Steve

madd 01-11-2005 05:45 PM

Hey,
Don't Listen To The Dealers. If You Continue To Run It, You Will Pay The Price For It Later. But, They Should Of Replaced Everything In The Recall. I Had One Done And It Has Almost Been A Year. I Have Not Had A Problem With It, Yet. I Am Still Driving It, But, Scared It Might Start Again. I Am Even Looking For A Suv For My Daughter And I Don't Know What I Plan On Getting. She Wants A Explorer And I Am Chicken To Try And Deal With Another. Only Because They Won't Tell You When There Is A Recall. Only If When It Is A Safety Recall (like The Tires) That Is The Only Time When They Will Tell You. That Is Not Fair For Us. Because, By The Time We Find Out, We Have To Eat The Bill And The Damage, Not Them.

kevinm55 01-19-2005 07:17 PM

I have a 2000 Explorer XLT with the 4.0 SOHC Motor. I have 50,000 miles on the truck so far and have not recognized the noises/rattling described in previous posts. If I understand correctly, based on the ONP should this motor be covered under warranty??? Was it select motors or are all 2000 4.0 SOHC's prone to this problem? Any feedback, suggestions and advice will be appreciated!

madd 01-21-2005 11:33 PM

hey,

Your motor is one of the recalls. I would be alittle gratefull that you haven't had to deal with this problem. I would just take it in to the dealers and have them check this out. I believe that you still have everything under warranty and you should play safe than sorry. I hope that you are one of the luck ones and don't have to deal with this problem and I hope everything works out for you. I know I wish I was in your shoes right now.. I am glad that my is running great since I had it fixed myself. So, good luck and hang in there.//

kevinm55 01-22-2005 04:14 PM

Thanks for the info. Called the dealer and yes, my truck needs have all 3 timing chains, guides and tensioners replaced. The good news is that all of it is covered under the Ford Certified Pre-Owned Warranty. Hopefully all will be done correctly; not thrilled about having to have the motor taken out but what can you do.
Does anyone know anything about a lower intake manifold O ring recall? If so, I would be very appreciative if you could share that info with me. If this is another ONP type of repair I would like to have that taken care of while being serviced.
Thanks very much again. Awesome website, without it I would have been in the dark regarding this problem!!

Hseries 01-22-2005 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by wolgie
Here is my story, I bought a 97 4.0 SOHC about 2 weeks ago with 85k miles on it. I noticed a slight rattle coming from the engine after I got home. I bought it from an individual who I don't think was aware of the problem. I did some investigating on FTE and talked to a friend who has a 98 that locked up at 40k with timing chain problems. After listening to the engine and reading posts I determined it was either the tensioner and the chain guides or both.

I took it to my local dealer to have them check it out. I told him I thought it was 1 or both of these problems. And was aware of the Owner Notification Programs for these issues. And that the tensioner ONP 00M12 was expired but not the guide ONP 01MO1. He said it sounds like the tensioner, and that 99% of the time that was the problem. I said go ahead and check it out, but while your in there could you look at the guides and replace them if they need it since they are covered. He said " They will look at them and replace them if the need it". They ended up just replacing the top tensioner.

I got the vehicle out the next day and 50% of the noise was gone, but a rattle persisted. I took it back and pointed this out, their mechanic said it sounded like it could be the catalytic converter.:-X01 but they would have to listen more closely to determine where the sound was coming from. Of course my suspicion is and was the chain guides all along. So this morning he called me and said it is a timing chain area noise, but they don't think it is the guides they think it is the middle tensioner. Big &%&^$%$ surprise, they don't think it is the guides, so I said go ahead and spend 5.5 hrs of labor to tear it down and see what the problem is. He said if it turns out to be the guides it is covered under the ONP. But if its the bottom tensioner "bend over" actually he didn't say that last part, I was paraphrasing.

So here we are, grabbing my ankles waiting for word on the cause. I told him when they get it torn down I want to come down there and physically inspect the problem, he was fine with that. Here is my deal regardless of the problem, they should not have charged me for the original 5 hrs of labor to replace the top tensioner, if that did not fix the entire problem, they could have replaced that one when they reassembled the engine after checking out the guides. And not only that but why are they so resistant to say it is the guides, Ford is the one who foots the bill. Not only that but if it is the middle tensioner as well how do they know the guides are not contributing to the sound, and if so they should be covered and they should only charge me for the parts for the 2 tensioners.

I have a call in to the main service manager to tell him my story, before they call me with more bad news.

If he doesn't help, I will go to the GM, then the RM , then FORD , and finally Henry Ford himself (oh wait he’s dead)..;)

Please give me your input/horror stories on this issue..

Thanks

I will keep you informed on the continuing saga of "HOW THE WALLET SHRINKS"

:-X09 }> :-X09 :-X02

Wolgie.......Good question! Not all that familiar with the 4.0L. But, if he had that area tore apart and had access to all three tensioners, he had darn better make sure they were up to spec, and replace them as needed with your permission, if that is what you asked him to do. What is written on the service order? Does it differ from what work you asked him to perform? I had Westway replace a timing gear & chain on my 88 Ranger 2.9L years ago and while he was there I had the water pump replaced also. Brainless idiot forgot to change the timing gear! DOH!! They had to tear it down again and replace it free of charge along with a rental for another day. Sounds like W e s t w a y F o r d ? or S k y l i n e F o r d ? Is it? Tell me now, so I can stay far away from them.

madd 01-22-2005 11:49 PM

:-X01 :-fire

I feel your pain,,,,... I am glad that I had mine done(but, it was done with my money) :-X01 ...I just pray daily, that I don't have to do it again....The only thing is, my husband likes Ford, even after the darn problem/ :-X14
I hope he rethinks it when we plan to buy another one for our daughter. If amyone has a idea what I should look into or away from, please drop me a line and educate me, so I won't suffer again.... :-rip

Siberexpress 01-23-2005 11:38 AM

The dealership that I got my 2000 EB from did the timing chain repair when I took it in to have the Front Pinion seal done under warranty, the Tech noticed the noise when he started it up. This was done in 2001.
Never had that problem with the 2002, but it had 34,000 when I got rid of it.
I now have a 2000 Explorer Sport, but then again it has the OHV motor in it.
I guess a lot has to do with the dealership, the one I bought my 2002 Explorer and my 2003 F150 from doesn't get any type of service work from me, the SM is a jerk. But they didn't complain about my F150 being lowered when they rebuilt the rear end, and they did notice the lower ball joints were worn also.

jrjeff 04-17-2005 01:27 AM

Hey dogman you seem to know your explorers. I am getting rid of my 99 sohc can't take the noise anymore. Also I want either and expedition 00 or newer or an 02 explorer or newer. I need a 3rd row seat. My question is, is the sohc in the 2002 the same damn motor that is in my 99? Does the expedition have any hidden problems like this I should know about? If I stay with the explorer should I just stay with the v8 and call it a day? I went and looked at both explorer and expedition today and like them both. both had 3rd row seating(tight in both) and from the gas mileage I looked up not to much worse in the expedition. Any idea which vehicle will be more trouble free? Thankful of any thoughts you might have. Thanks.