Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum27/)
-   -   Disable AWD (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/206535-disable-awd.html)

jejenkins 02-18-2004 12:01 PM

Disable AWD

Has anyone come up with more info on rewiring a switch to disable AWD when you want to?

I read all the posts just wondering if it went anywhere or are some trying to figure it out.

Thanks

sucktin 02-18-2004 05:16 PM

I did it. Made a circuit from the under-hood fuse and put a switch on the panel under the steering wheel. Works great!

jejenkins 02-18-2004 09:44 PM

Great

Hello,

Does that mean that when you want to have AWD available, then you switch it on with your added switch? Then 4WH and 4WL are the same as always.

When only want 2WD you switch it off with your added switch and then all 4WD on the factory switch is off? Is this correct?

Has anyone found out if the factory 2H, AWD, 4WH & 4DL can be wired up?

Thanks
James

fordfanbyinlaws 02-18-2004 10:28 PM

I did the same thing "sucktin" did. Ran wires straight from the fuse box under the hood to a switch mounted next to the center console under the steering wheel. Winter snow is much more fun with the switch off!! : ) The real reason for adding the switch to disable the AWD was due to a grinding noise I was hearing during gradual acceleration. I guess the problem was the AWD kicking in and out because with the transfer case power turned off the noise is gone. Make sure you use a switch with an amp rating equal to the transfer case fuse under the hood. I bought one with a light on the tip of the switch so I'd know for sure when the AWD is engaged. Good luck.

jejenkins 02-19-2004 02:20 AM

AWD Switch

I will want the AWD in when the weather is questionable. I don't want to wreck a 4x4 on a isolated icy patch.

I never liked my 1998 Blazer because of its being either in 2WD or switched into 4WH or 4WL. Those were your only choices. So when the pavement was mostly dry you had to be in 2HD. And if some unexpected ice appeared you had to hit the 4WH button.

In 1999 or 2000 GM improved this with the 2WD, Auto 4WH, 4WH and 4WL.

So you could use the Auto setting for mostly dry conditions in cold and sometimes slippery conditions.

If this seems to work with out doing any harm to our trucks then we would essentially have what the newer ones have. 2WH for dry and warm weather conditions. AWD for questionable weather or road conditons, 4WH for snow covered or muddy roads ETC. Plus 4WL for extra power in muddy or deep snow conditions.

jejenkins 02-19-2004 02:23 AM

Switch

It sure would be cool to wire up a factory 2WH, AWD, 4WH & 4WL switch in the dash where our stock one is.

If we bought the switch, could we use it instead of a separate switch?

2000 XLT Expedition

jejenkins 02-19-2004 02:41 AM

AWD

I read the posts a few topics ago about the 4x4 switchs in older Expys and 1998 & 2000 Expys.

The older Expy has 2WH, AWD, 4WH & 4WL the the 1999 and 2000 have AWD, 4WH & 4WL.

Both of the guys who posted said that their switches had 4 wires. Does anyone know why the 3 switch position switches have 4 wires like the 4 position switches?

Which 3 position switch setting has 2 wires on it?

Do we just need to unplug the right colored wire and put it on a 4 postion switch to do this in a way that would look stock?

We need some input from a 4 position switched Expy on what color wire is on 2WH.

Thanks

sucktin 02-19-2004 07:23 AM

The big deal isn't with the switch itself, but how your GEM is programmed. The GEM gets a resitance reading from the switch and acts accordingly (engages 4H, 4L, etc). Just putting in a 4-pos switch will not guarantee all 4 settings for your vehicle.
Jejenkins, you hit it on the head...I can turn the switch "on" and I'm back to the factory mode. Just like fordfan said, I had the same issue with odd noises from the transfer case in A4wd under a load/acceleration. Do a search on "Front differential noise"...there are some good threads. With this new 2WD, i am free of all noise.
Good luck!

joeandivy 10-17-2013 09:09 AM

hello i have a 2001 Navigator with a 3 position switch awd,4wh,4wl can this work for my suv and does anyone have a diagram for it

alloro 10-17-2013 09:55 AM

The selector switch runs directly to the GEM so it is not possible to simply rewire a 3 position switch for the 4 position one. What you want, if you want to do it correctly, is the brown wire modification as done in this thread: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...navigator.html

Cutting into the brown wire like this instead of the fuse keeps power to the shift motor and only cuts power to the front clutch.