Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Escape & Escape Hybrid (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum36/)
-   -   Transmission shudder (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/201963-transmission-shudder.html)

gaga2311 02-07-2004 02:53 PM

Transmission shudder

My wife and I have a 2002 Escape and basically love it, however, at my last oil change, at 26,000 miles, I told the service manager about a shudder I was getting from the transmission when it down-shifted from overdrive. He suggested a transmission fluid change since I was in the range that Ford recommends.

That totally corrected the problem for almost 4000 miles, however, the shudder is slowly starting to come back at 30000 miles.

Just yesterday, I took it to my Ford dealer for inspection, oil change and it's 30000 mile check up and I mentioned this problem to the service manager.

He suggested that I make an appointment.

The problem is that right now, it is happening so infrequently, if they took it for a test drive, it might happen right away, or not at all, but I know it will get worse as time goes on.

Question. Should I wait until the problem gets worse, and second, what might be the cause?

Thank You.

tsdrallyer 02-07-2004 11:34 PM

The dealer can read the computer in the car and see if a code is about to happen, or did happen recently. Don't wait. It's a thing that can only get worse and more expensive, less reliable and less convenient. Take it in.

bananaboat 02-07-2004 11:48 PM

Some CD4E trannies develop the shudder and usually die. A high percentage of people do not develop the problem but once it usually starts, it seems it never ends. Search for some other Escape websites and check out the complaints at NHTSA.org. Also, search for the Mazda 626 sites since they have a long history of CD4E problems in the 90's.

Ford hasn't claimed any responsibility except for a TSB to flush the tranny and reflash on Scapes. The computer usually doesn't give a code on this problem. Most dealers will shrug their shoulders and claim they haven't seen many CD4E problems. The problem seems to have lessened with build 2 of the 2002 model Escape.

Most likely, your stick says to use Mercon V. Do not! Ford recommends plain Mercon. Mercon V is not backwards compatible. There should be a TSB on this too.

Escape to MT 03-08-2004 09:19 PM

shutter

Thanks for the suggestion gaga2311. I'll have to have my husband take my 02 Escape in for a transmission fluid change. Mine has been doing the same thing for quite some time now but it does it going into and out of overdrive. I get so sick of taking my vehicles in when I have a problem and have them shrug their shoulders and say "the computer says there's nothing wrong with it". (Can you tell I'm a female that gets sick of not being taken seriously!!) I told one guy at Ford I was having a problem but I wasn't going to bring it in until it died and they could tow the thing in. Had to once already for another problem. Hopefully if my husband takes it in with a suggestion the problem will get solved. I will be thrilled to death if it would quit the shuttering business!!

dhermesc 03-11-2004 02:48 PM

Is the shudder in the CD4E transmission caused by the torque converter or some other problem (sticking valve?)?

bananaboat 03-12-2004 06:47 AM

Originally posted by dhermesc
Is the shudder in the CD4E transmission caused by the torque converter or some other problem (sticking valve?)?
Someone from Ford would have to state the cause but I've seen where dealerships claim: torque converter, internal water, just don't know.

Mazda had problems with the CD4E in the 90's but no longer seems to have the problem. The 2001/02 Escapes/Tributes seem to have more problems than the newer ones. Seems the 4x4s have the problem more frequently but that could be skewed since I believe 2/3 of the Escapes built are 4x4s.

Some have failed at a few thousand miles while other people have 100k miles and tow regularly without any problems. Of course the people with problems will be more outspoken than the people without problems so it's hard to gauge the ratio. I'm nearing 60k miles and haven't had any problems which may have just jinxed myself.

Supercab 03-15-2004 05:47 PM

You might want to look into switching to a good quality name brand Mercon V fluid, I'm not sure if its compatable with your transmission or not but I have a '97 Thunderbird with the 4R70W automatic (overdrive) it started shuttering recently and the folks over at the TCCoA website suggested I change the fluid and filter which included draining the converter which I did myself, spent about $60.00 total and my shuttering is gone completely, the Mercon V fluid is part synthetic, and right on the bottle (Valvoline brand) is says "Recomended for all '96 and newer Fords"
So before you let anyone talk you into an expensive rebuild try the Mercon V fluid.

bananaboat 03-16-2004 06:51 AM

Do not use Mercon V in the CD4E. You're dipstick may even state Mercon V (01/02 Escapes) but contact your dealer if you need verification.

Oasis number 16717:
0717 - 2001-2003 ESCAPE
AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE SHUDDER

SOME 2001-2003 ESCAPE VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A CD4E TRANSAXLE MAY EXHIBIT AN AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE SHUDDER. THIS CONCERN MAYBE DUE TO THE TRANSMISSION CONTROL STRATEGY. DO NOT CHANGE TORQUE CONVERTER. TO SERVICE, DRAIN, FLUSH AND REFILL THE TRANSMISSION FLUID WITH MERCON XT-2-QDX. THEN, REPROGRAM THE PCM WITH THE LATEST CALIBRATION AVAILABLE VIA FORDSTAR USING WDS RELEASE B24.3 OR LATER.

THE UPDATED FILE CAN ALSO BE OBTAINED AT WDSCENTRAL.COM

NOTE: THE SHUDDER WILL NOT COMPLETELY GO AWAY AFTER SERVICE UNTIL THE VEHICLE HAS BEEN DRIVEN FOR APPROXIMATELY 10 MILES.

gaga2311 05-12-2004 08:43 PM

Re: my first comments about transmission shudder.

Anyone with similar problems, keep after Ford.

My wife's Escape is at the dealership having a new torque converter put in as I write this.

ove1 05-13-2004 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by gaga2311
My wife and I have a 2002 Escape and basically love it, however, at my last oil change, at 26,000 miles, I told the service manager about a shudder I was getting from the transmission when it down-shifted from overdrive. He suggested a transmission fluid change since I was in the range that Ford recommends.

That totally corrected the problem for almost 4000 miles, however, the shudder is slowly starting to come back at 30000 miles...

<SNIP>
...Question. Should I wait until the problem gets worse, and second, what might be the cause?

Thank You.

If you wait for the problem to get worse, you are looking at replacing the torque converter or worse. Unless you are still under warranty, that will be expensive.

The shudder is apparently caused when the tranny fluid gets cooked. The CD4E tends to run hot in city driving and stop-and-go freeway traffic. It is important to get the PCM reflashed to change the lockup strategy of the torque converter. The change delays lockup by raising the speed at which it occurs when the transmission is running hot. By keeping the RPMs higher, more fluid gets pumped through the auxillary transmission cooler and the converter clutch doesn't continually engage/disengage at slower speeds.

If you are a part of the Escape 'stalling' recall, that PCM update apparently also covers the transmission shudder issue.

I first experienced the shudder at 19K miles, several months ago. I had the dealer do the TSB that changed the fluid and flashed the PCM. So far, no reoccurances. Keeping fingers crossed...

gaga2311 05-15-2004 05:29 PM

New Torque converter.

The new torque converter is in. The thing is not shuddering as of this post.

My dealership was great, but Ford was not so great.

Ford made them ( My dealership ) jump through several hoops, trying this thing, or that, before they, Ford, would approve a new torque-converter, but my dealership, knowing that's what I needed, actually ordered it a head of time.

I hope others read this site who have had similar problems.

I want to thank this web site for all the input I have gotten for this problem.

I will always be a Ford man, but in this day and age, the dealership can really make a difference. Are you reading this Escape to MT?

gaga2311 05-15-2004 05:43 PM

Escape transmission shudder

My problem, since is is apparently fixed now, was never caused by transmission fluid being cooked.

Since new, this vehicle has done nothing but leasurly back-woods driving.

$40Miles round trip to work, no stop and go, and the few trips we took with it were no more that 350 miles one way. This problem was entirely do to some sort of a defect.

gaga2311 05-15-2004 06:03 PM

Escape to MT.

I hope you have gotten satisfaction from your dealership with your transmission shudder. If not, I hope you were able to view my posts.

Good luck.

Frustrated one 08-30-2004 03:25 PM

gaga2311

Did the shuttering you experienced feel like you were running over little speed bumps under acceleration ? How is the Escape now that you have had the new Torque converter in for awile ?

gaga2311 08-30-2004 03:41 PM

Ford Escape transmission shudder.

Since Ford installed the new torque converter, the shudder is gone and yes, it felt like you were running over rumple strips in the pavement.

I was lucky enough to have a great dealer.
The service mgr. showed me a bulletin from Ford telling them that under no circumstances should they change the torque converter. Ford only recommended a new transmission flush.

He told me that he knew it was the converter and that he would order one and make an appointment for me. He also told me that if he was denied by Ford to replace it, he would give me an 800 number to call as they might turn him down, but not me. That never happened.

Since the replacement, my gas milage has also gone from an average of 18 to 20-21.

Hope this helps you.

Vic Gibson